Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2016, 05:50 PM   #121
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The new terminal at YYC has Nexus merging with the regular line. Nexus holders are upset.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #122
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
The new terminal at YYC has Nexus merging with the regular line. Nexus holders are upset.
Is this the security line? It would have to merge at some point, would it not?
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #123
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
Is this the security line? It would have to merge at some point, would it not?
In the old terminal they were separate separate up to the point where the bins were. Nexus also got put forward first or into a separate section altogether.

That being said, CATSA employees are nothing special so if you expect common sense and efficiency, you'll be left wanting.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #124
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I was in the new terminal the security line Y'd, and left was where the nexus people were and right were regular people. I don't have nexus but I went left since the line was smaller and the lady was telling the Nexus people they can walk to the front. But its kind of hard when you are lined up behind people...
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #125
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

If true and permanent, this totally defeats the purpose, expense and hassles of getting NEXUS membership card (at least at YYC). Hopefully, this is a temporary measure for some reason.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #126
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's useless that Canada doesn't have a TSA Prechek equivalent with a dedicated line for precheck members, and expedited screening. For example, you don't have to take anything out of your bag or take your shoes off. All you have to do is make sure your pockets are empty.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #127
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree with the comments above. It's the exact reason I'm letting my Nexus lapse and not renewing.

I paid for expedited security clearance and not to have the hassles the typical traveler encounters. That is no longer the case
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #128
Language
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That's annoying if true. The airport should still mandate to have separate lines for Nexus holders.
Language is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #129
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
It's useless that Canada doesn't have a TSA Prechek equivalent with a dedicated line for precheck members, and expedited screening. For example, you don't have to take anything out of your bag or take your shoes off. All you have to do is make sure your pockets are empty.
CATSA website says we do. We just don't have it in Calgary.

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/trusted-travellers

See bottom charts for list of queue jump places and trusted traveller lines.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #130
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
CATSA website says we do. We just don't have it in Calgary.

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/trusted-travellers

See bottom charts for list of queue jump places and trusted traveller lines.
Calgary does have Trusted Traveler for domestic, I'm not sure why it says otherwise.

Edit: Ah, I figured it out. While we have a line for Trusted Travelers, Calgary does not accommodate simpler screening for Trusted Travelers. Liquids and gels still need to be removed from carry-ons, belts removed, metal in pockets, etc. Yeah, that sucks.

So long as the following is the case, however, we do not IMHO have a TSA Pre✔ equivalent at all:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATSA link above
In Canada, all travelers must remove laptops from carry-on bags at all CATSA checkpoints.
TSA Pre✔ doesn't require this time-wasting nonsense. I can literally proceed through security at SEA-TAC in 20 seconds from the time I approach the security bins to the time I am through the detector and waiting for my bag to pass through the scanner. I don't have to dismantle my backpack for a bloody laptop.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 11-22-2016 at 01:28 PM. Reason: See above.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #131
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does Nexus give you TSA pre-check as well?
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:37 PM   #132
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
Does Nexus give you TSA pre-check as well?
Yes, but you have to give the airline your trusted traveller number. It's not automatic.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 08:55 PM   #133
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Yes, but you have to give the airline your trusted traveller number. It's not automatic.
Its easy though. You enter it when you check in for your flight and your able to do it online or mobile now where in the past with some airlines like Westjet you needed to do it at the counter.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:25 PM   #134
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I automatically got TSA pre-approved for my return flight from LAX to YYC, despite not having a Nexus pass. Stood in the regular people line for awhile before I realized I had it on my boarding pass (on my phone, so it wasn't like I was holding a regular one and not seeing it).
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #135
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I didn't know we had to present our nexus cards to the airline when we came back from hawaii. The westjet agent happened to notice our cards in our travel wallet after she printed our boarding passes, and she took them back and ripped them up. Took another few minutes to give us new ones with the TSA pre-approval.

It clicked in once I got to security, as we bypassed a 1 hour security line up! We didn't actually stop, just walked through the security line and xray machine and watched our stroller met us on the other side of the isle. It happened so fast the my wife and I we unsure we actually went through security!

/tldr - get nexus! Especially with Kids.

Side note it is very weird my newborn has a 5 year Nexus and passport...
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #136
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I automatically got TSA pre-approved for my return flight from LAX to YYC, despite not having a Nexus pass. Stood in the regular people line for awhile before I realized I had it on my boarding pass (on my phone, so it wasn't like I was holding a regular one and not seeing it).
Unless your a member of one of the approved programs that includes Nexus then that was a big security ####up by someone.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:16 PM   #137
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Unless your a member of one of the approved programs that includes Nexus then that was a big security ####up by someone.
It wouldn't be the first time I've heard of someone randomly getting TSA Pre✔ for a US origin flight.

You still have to go through the long customs line when you get into Canada though.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #138
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a non-Nexus security clearance for work I do at a Canadian airport, so I thought maybe things were linked behind the scenes. However, my friend who has no clearances at all, also got it (for a different trip).
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #139
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I'm approved! It was super easy and they were very friendly. No hassle. They have a nice new office in the new terminal too.

Thanks to everyone for their help in this thread.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #140
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
This is only at security and only if it's slow. We had a separate line going in and it was clearly marked.

At customs it's definitely a separate line, my wife and I took maybe 45 secs to get through. The regular line was huge.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote