Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #41
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
jamessharman James Sharman
#fenerbahce withdrawn from #champsleague. Huge news, but who takes its place. Media say #liverpool of course, is it about coefficients?

jamessharman James Sharman
Seem's to me a #liv entry into CL would be preposterous. However, UEFA would love it there, and we know what that might mean!
Trabunspellable get the CL spot.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #42
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

We beat the Exeter City boys today...but looks like we may have lost Meireles to a separated shoulder.

Carroll replaced Raul Meireles, who went off with a suspected dislocated shoulder after a challenge from Danny Coles. This was a great shame, as for the first quarter of the game Meireles was its highlight, enriching Liverpool’s attacks with deft lay-offs and neat flicks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...ch-report.html
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #43
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

and...Coates has signed on a 7M transfer.

The highly-rated centre-back was being chased by a number of clubs, including the Reds' Premier League rivals Manchester City.
But it seems Liverpool is his desired destination as his club have accepted an offer for the Uruguayan international.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #44
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good signing, he was excellent in Copa
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #45
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pleased to see that they've signed Coates. Hes an exceptional talent.

That gives Liverpool at CB:

- Carragher
- Skrtel
- Agger
- Coates
- Kelly
- Danny Wilson

Thats some fairly serious depth at CB, and I think they're good on the wings so thats a good step in the right direction, and Coates could be around a long time.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-25-2011, 03:26 AM   #46
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Have to give major props to the owners here. They are delivering on all promises. Such a refreshing change. We are actually going to have a pretty strong squad after this window.

Rumours that Bellamy may come back on a free too. Interesting to see if that happens. Bit of a nutter but still has some pace and could be effective coming on as a sub. He can play wide as well. Would be a good option as a squad player.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #47
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Liverpool news and notes:

Meireles sustains a collarbone injury against Exeter.

Quote:
"It's his collarbone but we don't know how long he'll be out," Dalglish told Sky Sports. "I think we are going to be without him for a couple of weeks.

"I've not got a medical term for it. He just damaged his collarbone. He just fell on it. It's disappointing. It doesn't matter if he's been playing good, bad or indifferent, it's still disappointing to pick up such an innocuous thing. We are disappointed. But I'm sure Raul is the most disappointed person."
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...injury?cc=5901

The good news is that it isnt his shoulder, that could be a few months rather than a few weeks.

The other interesting rumour surrounding Meireles is that if Chelsea insist on wanting to buy him, Dalglish is going to demand Daniel Sturridge coming Anfield's way to be a part of the deal. Thats mostly just a rumour though.

Aquaman still looking to leave:

Quote:
Liverpool midfielder Alberto Aquilani is looking forward to making a big impact at the San Siro as his loan move to AC Milan nears completion.

Aquilani, 27, underwent a medical in Milan on Thursday morning to pave the way for a deal that could result in a permanent switch at the end of the season.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...n-move?cc=5901

Just go already. And hopefully the buy-out clause is reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
Have to give major props to the owners here. They are delivering on all promises. Such a refreshing change. We are actually going to have a pretty strong squad after this window.

Rumours that Bellamy may come back on a free too. Interesting to see if that happens. Bit of a nutter but still has some pace and could be effective coming on as a sub. He can play wide as well. Would be a good option as a squad player.
Bellamy might still be worthwhile as a squad player, he seems to still have something left to offer.

We as fans have to be pleased with the current turn of events. For me it all comes down to Dalglish now. If the owners are certain that they've found their man and that they're on board with his plan and everyone is pulling in the same direction then I think we've got a lot to look forward to.

If they had given the same reign to Hodgson I'd be extremely worried. But at the moment I think King Kenny is the man to take this club forward.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #48
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bolton manager Owen Coyle has quashed speculation linking key defender Gary Cahill with a move to Liverpool, describing the story as "without a shred of foundation".

"This story is without a shred of foundation," he said. "It is irresponsible. To just reel words off is in poor taste. Nothing surprises you in football but people should have more knowledge of the background for anything before they write it.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...l-exit?cc=5901

Well, first of all, Kenny doesnt spout off about players he wants to buy, he just quietly goes about his business.

And secondly, there is no foundation because Liverpool dont want Cahill anymore, they've (hopefully) signed Sebastian Coates.

Aquaman is gone.

Quote:
AC Milan have confirmed Liverpool midfielder Alberto Aquilani has joined the club on loan until next summer, with an option to extend his stay until June 2014.

The Rossoneri can make Aquilani's move permanent if the Italy international makes at least 25 appearances for them this season.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...erpool?cc=5901

The date is important. Thats when his contract with Liverpool expires.

All I can say is: Finally!

You know, he was a good player, and I think he'd have fit in well, but he was never fit and never really interested. I dont want to say; 'good riddance' because I'd rather he have stayed and played, but if those were never his intentions then just get the long running saga over with.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #49
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
All I can say is: Finally!

You know, he was a good player, and I think he'd have fit in well, but he was never fit and never really interested. I dont want to say; 'good riddance' because I'd rather he have stayed and played, but if those were never his intentions then just get the long running saga over with.
Yep. Best part is, he was bought before fair-play mattered, and when the catchyounextthursdays owned the club. Therefore, who cares how much he cost initially!!!

Really like that up to 2014 clause (but I hope the option is ours, and we play hardball and make them pay something)
Old 08-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #50
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still waiting on confirmation of the Coates deal.

I did PVR a Uruguayan league game with his squad Nacional, so I'll be watching this Coates kid for some first impressions.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #51
DeanOMac
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Suarez with an unbelieveable pass versus Bolton. Downing didn't finish but Henderson finished right after.
DeanOMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #52
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanOMac View Post
Suarez with an unbelieveable pass versus Bolton. Downing didn't finish but Henderson finished right after.
Yup, Henderson opens his account at Anfield.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #53
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Still waiting on confirmation of the Coates deal.

I did PVR a Uruguayan league game with his squad Nacional, so I'll be watching this Coates kid for some first impressions.
And there he is in the Anfield stands, so obviously still awaiting either a medical, personal terms or some other formality.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #54
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
And there he is in the Anfield stands, so obviously still awaiting either a medical, personal terms or some other formality.
Excellent. And an awesome way to start a morning once again. While this isn't the powerhouse squad the transfer fees suggest, the potential is easily visible every game. Adam has looked like a great deal from the get-go (and he was good n'cheap), and that shot was just wicked!
Old 08-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #55
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Joe Cole will wind up in France at Lille.

The former Chelsea midfielder travelled to France this morning to finalise a 12-month loan deal with the defending Ligue 1 champions just a year after joining the ranks at Anfield.

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/...an-switch.html

Ngog rumored to Bolton

DAVID NGOG should complete his protracted £4m move to Bolton Wanderers from Liverpool FC today.
The 22-year-old Frenchman has been a long-time target of Trotters boss Owen Coyle, who is desperate to add a striker to his ranks before tomorrow’s transfer deadline.

and it looks like Meireles will not be joining Chelsea

Chelsea have had an offer rejected for the Liverpool midfielder Raul Meireles of £7m plus Yossi Benayoun as a makeweight.

Last edited by Cheese; 08-30-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #56
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Luis Suarez tweeted earlier that Coates is a done deal, but it was taken down. Likely told by the club not to talk about it until it's on the official site.

And in other amazing news, Poulsen has been sold to French side Evian Thonon Gaillard.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/lates...ulsen-transfer
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #57
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

ESPN says the Coates deal is done...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...switch?cc=5901

and here

http://www.koptalk.co.uk/20110830396...s-signing.html

A statement on the Merseysiders' official website said: "Liverpool have confirmed the signing of Uruguay international Sebastian Coates on a long-term contract.

Last edited by Cheese; 08-30-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #58
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/lates...ez-key-to-deal

A great finish to an already successful transfer window.

Quote:
The 20-year old Uruguay international put pen to paper on a long-term deal at Melwood on Tuesday evening after finalising his transfer from Nacional - and immediately hailed Suarez's contribution in securing his Anfield arrival.

"Luis told me a lot about Liverpool - but about the fans more than anything else," said Coates, in an exclusive interview with Liverpoolfc.tv. "He told me how passionate they are about the club and how supportive they are.

"I saw that myself on Saturday when the fans really got behind their side against Bolton and that was great to see.

"Luis also told me about the history and the tradition of the club and now I feel very happy and excited to be here because I have left one great club in Nacional and signed for another great club with a fantastic history.

Last edited by TopChed; 08-30-2011 at 04:36 PM.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #59
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Coates is a great signing IMO. He will be lower on the depth chart for a little while which will give him some time to settle in. Hugely needed depth for us with Carra getting older and Agger's injury history.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:42 AM   #60
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Coates is a great signing IMO. He will be lower on the depth chart for a little while which will give him some time to settle in. Hugely needed depth for us with Carra getting older and Agger's injury history.
I think we'll see him slot in sooner rather than later. At the moment, I would wager that Skrtel/Coates would be a strong CB pairing.

Unfortunately, I hear that Arsenal are closing in on Per Mertesacker, who, in my opinion, is one of the best CBs in the world. That would be bad for everyone, but, then again, considering the rest of their defence outside of Vermaelen, shouldnt be too bad.

Tags
anfield , gerrard , ynwa