Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #21
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Krack Korn View Post
Adam looked like the real deal, unfortunately, Carroll did not. How many opportunities did he completely screw up? Hoping for better things to come from him.

I thought Enrique looked good and Downing as well.

The second half...what...the...hell?

That Larsson goal was superb though.

Could have easily been 3-1, 4-1 Liverpool, oh well. Looking forward to a huge season.
Everybody is so harsh on Carroll because he came at a large fee at the same time that Torres left. I thought Carroll had a strong game, but looked a little tired in the second half. Carroll brings so much more to this team then just goals. He is a complete distraction out there, as defenses are constantly worrying about him.

In fact, on our only goal of the game, Suarez popped free because the entire Sunderland team was busy making sure that Carroll didn't have any space. That goal would not have been scored if it wasn't for Carroll's presence.

Carroll will be immense for us, but it may not always show up on the score sheet.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #22
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree on Carroll.

That was quite the game, I wasnt quite sure what to expect but the movement of the ball in the first half was sublime, I think a lot of people are vastly underrating the quality of this Liverpool midfield.

Downing and Henderson were both very effective with each having numerous scoring opportunities, Charlie Adam playing that central role was excellent, winning and distributing the ball very well. Still a little bit of hoofing, but that will go away in time.

A couple of those through balls by Adam to Suarez and Carroll behid the defence were extremely dangerous.

Lots to look forward to.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #23
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I agree on Carroll.

That was quite the game, I wasnt quite sure what to expect but the movement of the ball in the first half was sublime, I think a lot of people are vastly underrating the quality of this Liverpool midfield.

Downing and Henderson were both very effective with each having numerous scoring opportunities, Charlie Adam playing that central role was excellent, winning and distributing the ball very well. Still a little bit of hoofing, but that will go away in time.

A couple of those through balls by Adam to Suarez and Carroll behid the defence were extremely dangerous.

Lots to look forward to.
Absolutely. Downing is lightning fast, and Adam (yes it's one game, but it's all we have to judge on for now) looks like a steal so far.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #24
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Everybody is so harsh on Carroll because he came at a large fee at the same time that Torres left. I thought Carroll had a strong game, but looked a little tired in the second half. Carroll brings so much more to this team then just goals. He is a complete distraction out there, as defenses are constantly worrying about him.

In fact, on our only goal of the game, Suarez popped free because the entire Sunderland team was busy making sure that Carroll didn't have any space. That goal would not have been scored if it wasn't for Carroll's presence.

Carroll will be immense for us, but it may not always show up on the score sheet.
Fair enough. I may have been a little harsh on him. I guess I was expecting more from him, given the opportunities he had, though to be fair, it is very early in the campaign. I agree that he's going to be a key player fir this team going forward, one way or the other. I hope it's the good way.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whats everyone's take on Liverpool being after Gary Cahill? I think that could be a huge step forward. He and Skrtel would form the CB backbone of this squad moving forward.

Carra is getting up there, Agger is always hurt and Kyrgiakos isnt very stable.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #26
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Whats everyone's take on Liverpool being after Gary Cahill? I think that could be a huge step forward. He and Skrtel would form the CB backbone of this squad moving forward.

I definitely like the idea. Carra seemed to have a great resurgence under Kenny, but he's coming close to the end for sure. Not a bad player that Cahill guy. Let's just see if it's legitimate. Any blurbs that surface and disappear (such as this, I haven't heard much today or yesterday about it) just don't come through. Almost seems worse this year for rumours than previous years.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #27
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:

I still won't be surprised of we end up getting Dann instead of Cahill. It just seems to make sense as he is a bit cheaper and is from Liverpool. Either way though, I think it makes our squad a lot stronger.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
I definitely like the idea. Carra seemed to have a great resurgence under Kenny, but he's coming close to the end for sure. Not a bad player that Cahill guy. Let's just see if it's legitimate. Any blurbs that surface and disappear (such as this, I haven't heard much today or yesterday about it) just don't come through. Almost seems worse this year for rumours than previous years.
To be fair, the Jose Enrique purchase did exactly that and it came off.

Its a wild swing, but I cant see Kenny not signing a CB and I'd prefer Cahill.

Also, good win today for Liverpool. Seeing as how Liverpool gifted Arsenal a point last season when they were still under Woy, and even then Reina had to put it in for them, so I guess we're even.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #29
ShotDownInFlames12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Downing, Enrique and Adam all had great games. I really like watching Adam play.

Suarez and Meireles look so dangerous together, love both of them and would be pretty upset to see Raul go (if rumors are true)

Andy Carroll is so frustrating to watch. He really reminds me of Peter Crouch that goes down easier. It just seems like when hes on all Liverpool want to do is get crosses in that he can try to head home. When Suarez is on, especially with the new signings, there are just great passes and they are trying to actually make something happen and score team goals. Maybe this will change and it will take a bit of time to get the chemistry down.

What does everyone thing of Henderson? I haven't really noticed him too much which may not be a bad thing, just looking for opinions on him.
ShotDownInFlames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #30
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kyrgiakos gone to Wolfsburg.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #31
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Kyrgiakos gone to Wolfsburg.
And aqua and n'gog are both very close to departing. That will be a nice chunk off of our wage bill
Old 08-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #32
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
And aqua and n'gog are both very close to departing. That will be a nice chunk off of our wage bill
Well, I dont think N'Gog is being paid much, or at least he shouldnt be, but it will be nice when the Aquilani saga finally comes to an end.

I liked Aquilani, I wish he'd stay and play and stay fit, but he isnt worth the headache.

Gotta figure out whats happening with Joe Cole while they're at it.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #33
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Soto was never quite good enough, but with his departure, the bench is looking awfully thin at CB. I hope that points to us buying someone pretty quick here. I'd love the Cahill rumours to be true but I'm not sure I can see that happening. Haven't seen much of Dann but a lot of people think that move is coming. Either way, it's a step up from Soto as long as we sign somebody.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #34
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
Soto was never quite good enough, but with his departure, the bench is looking awfully thin at CB. I hope that points to us buying someone pretty quick here. I'd love the Cahill rumours to be true but I'm not sure I can see that happening. Haven't seen much of Dann but a lot of people think that move is coming. Either way, it's a step up from Soto as long as we sign somebody.
Rumor has it that Liverpool gave given up on dann\Cahill and are now close to signing Sebastian Coates. I don't know much about the player but it sounds like a decent move based on other people's opinions of the player.

I think teams are giving up on signing dann and Cahill for now as their respective team's asking price is way too high for players nearing the end of their contracts.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #35
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hadn't heard those rumours, and didn't really notice Coates when I was watching the Copa America this summer. That's probably a good thing for a CB though, and wikipedia says he won the best young player at the tourney. Sounds good enough for me. 6'5 as well.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Info on Coates:

Quote:
Nacional vice-president Hector Olmes has confirmed that the club have received an offer from Liverpool for Sebastian Coates and said he expects the centre-back to move to Anfield.

But Nacional vice president Olmes has confirmed the Liverpool bid - thought to be around £8 million - has them in pole position to sign Coates and the player's father and agent, Peter, is reportedly heading to Merseyside to discuss personal terms with the Reds.

"The offer is very good. Surely Coates will go to Liverpool," Olmes replied when asked about Liverpool's interest.

And Coates himself has talked up the prospect of linking up with international team-mate Luis Suarez at Anfield.

"It's a club with great history and tradition in England," he told Ovacion. "Also, Luis [Suarez] would be a great help to me there. The offer suits all concerned, so it's fair to say it's a done deal."

On adapting to life in England, he said: "I don't care about the weather. When I get there, I'll get used to that and anything else as well. I'm more or less getting to grips with the English language, but I'll have to get Luis to give me a hand.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...coates?cc=5901

I like his attitude, theres a lot of hockey players that could learn a thing or two from him. Hes moving halfway around the world and he shrugs his shoulders, they balk at moving a few hundred miles and complain like crazy about the weather.

Anyhow, look out Daniel Agger, better get those injury concerns sorted, this kid is the real deal. One of the 'up and coming' CBs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #37
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, keep your eyes peeled for the Liverpool v. Exeter Carling Cup clash today!

Old 08-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #38
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm sure nothing will come of this but:

thisisanfield This Is Anfield
Incredible speculation linking LFC with a CL place this season due to Fenerbahce being banned. Purely speculation at the moment.

thisisanfield This Is Anfield
UEFA statement at 7.30pm regarding Fenerbahce's expulsion from Champions League.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #39
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

jamessharman James Sharman
#fenerbahce withdrawn from #champsleague. Huge news, but who takes its place. Media say #liverpool of course, is it about coefficients?

jamessharman James Sharman
Seem's to me a #liv entry into CL would be preposterous. However, UEFA would love it there, and we know what that might mean!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #40
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

What? Why?

I'd be SO against this just because of the optics of it. Liverpool getting a pity CL spot? No thanks.

Tags
anfield , gerrard , ynwa