Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:
Default Age of Conan.

Anyone? Just wondering if anyone has tried this new MMO/what is it like?
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Supposed to be a real competitor to WOW.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Supposed to really suck from what i've heard.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
Supposed to really suck from what i've heard.
Most forums I've read have a pretty high opinion of it.

Keep in mind that MMOs are usually terribly bad right off the bat (WoW was a joke) until the first couple patches come out. AoC seems to actually be pretty stable on release from what I've read which bodes well for it's future.

It's already sold 400 000 copies making it one of the fastest growing PC games ever. It's nice to know you can pick it up and actually be assured there's going to be a good level of people playing the game for years to come.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:12 AM   #5
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I was in the closed beta. It was actually a lot of fun, and it has some really neat features.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't know that anything will be a competitor to WoW in the near future, but Age of Conan has some features that appeal to me. I've read a lot of mixed opinions from random internet forums, which is probably the worst place to get information from. One thing I hear a lot of is there is loading between zones and whatnot, which a lot of "people" state as "game breaking" due to their need for immersion. Personally, I've been putting up with load times since 1988 playing King's Quest.

My friend and I are bantering around the idea of picking it up, despite the fact that we have no time to play it.

Is there anything you can tell me about neat features, FanIn80? I'm not sure if people who were in the closed beta are still under NDA or whatever.
WhiteTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:48 AM   #7
Qwerty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The game is ok. I played it until about level 30 and it was meh.

You NEED a great computer in order to run this as it will lag you to no end. I highly suggest going on a non PVP server unless you want to be ganked 24/7. There is a lot of load times, I didn't find it immersion breaking and it gets less as you level up.

I have heard mixed reviews also, I am waiting for Warhammer Online and have already pre-ordered it.
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #8
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Apparently Age of Conan is one of the fastest selling PC games of all time. I'm not sure if that is true or not, but they sold 400,000 copies in the first week.

Source:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/876/876591p1.html
Old 05-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #9
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTom View Post
I don't know that anything will be a competitor to WoW in the near future, but Age of Conan has some features that appeal to me. I've read a lot of mixed opinions from random internet forums, which is probably the worst place to get information from. One thing I hear a lot of is there is loading between zones and whatnot, which a lot of "people" state as "game breaking" due to their need for immersion. Personally, I've been putting up with load times since 1988 playing King's Quest.
From what I can gather, the load times are when you switch between zones or provinces. From my experience in WoW I can't really see how this would be a huge deal. How often do you actually change zones?

My biggest concern is that the zones themselves are instanced to a degree. There still can be a crapload of people in them, but just not everyone on the server. From what I've read there are some benefits to it. Namely cities can be far less laggy and that you can switch instances when there's gankers around. I don't know if this is true or not, but it does make sense if you think about it.

I just built a new computer so I plan on picking this up in the new week or two (once I finish Okami). I'll post some impressions when I do.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
From what I can gather, the load times are when you switch between zones or provinces. From my experience in WoW I can't really see how this would be a huge deal. How often do you actually change zones?
I read somewhere that you sometimes change zones just going into buildings. That being said, I don't much give a crap about load times as long as they aren't gigantic. Like I said, I can still remember times having to switch floppy disks just to move screens in old school adventure games. Some people may have a different opinion.

Quote:
My biggest concern is that the zones themselves are instanced to a degree. There still can be a crapload of people in them, but just not everyone on the server. From what I've read there are some benefits to it. Namely cities can be far less laggy and that you can switch instances when there's gankers around. I don't know if this is true or not, but it does make sense if you think about it.
The only problem with instanced zones, in my opinion, is that you can't just randomly stumble upon people on a consistent basis. Less people to interact with on a day to day basis. This doesn't bother me so much since I am a friendless misanthrope.

The upside is that your machine doesn't have to try and render both the game world that you see as well as the sprites, actions and talky talky-ness of 4 billion other people in the same zone. This is a double bonus if you've ever had to endure barrens chat in WoW.

I'm still on the fence about giving it a try, but I know that I will probably break down as early as 8 hours from now.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #11
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only problem with instanced zones, in my opinion, is that you can't just randomly stumble upon people on a consistent basis. Less people to interact with on a day to day basis. This doesn't bother me so much since I am a friendless misanthrope.

The upside is that your machine doesn't have to try and render both the game world that you see as well as the sprites, actions and talky talky-ness of 4 billion other people in the same zone. This is a double bonus if you've ever had to endure barrens chat in WoW.
Depending on how they do it, it could be good or horrible.

What I mean is that I hope that if hypothetically there was one person online there would only be one instance of the zone. Then say thousands of people log on and go to that zone. That one instance would fill up until it's set limit, a new instance is created, and then anyone new entering the zone gets placed in the second, empty instance. I really hope it's not something like where there's a set number of instances and each holds an equal distribution of the people. I don't really know how they program these things so I have no idea.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:29 PM   #12
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yeah, you've got some good points there. I guess people who are interested will just have to try it out to see if they enjoy it.

If anyone is thinking of playing, or is already playing, post what server you are on and I'll try to come join in.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #13
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO multiple intances of the same zone really suck. Unless we're talking instance specific dungeons. Nothing beats going to meet your friend at a location only to realize although you're both in the same location you're in completely different instances, i didn't know they did multiple instances of the same zone anymore. Wasn't that the primary reason for multiple servers?
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:36 PM   #14
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

It doesn't surprise me that it's selling well.

People needed a break from the whole Warcraft Universe. This is supposed to be a more adult MMORPG (with nudity in it, etc.) getting away from the cartoonish/stylized look of the Warcraft universe. It's also more akin to classic fantasy lore that I guess a lot of people prefer at heart.

I'm not going to touch it though, I've never paid a dime for an MMORPG and don't think I ever will. Paying someone monthyl so you can grind a videogame where you go nowhere? No thanks.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:52 AM   #15
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So I broke down yesterday and bought the game. I haven't activated it yet or tried it out yet. I'll post some impressions, opinions and what not sometime this week. If anyone is interested I'll post what server I'm on and you can come say hi. If you have the game of course.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:48 AM   #16
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So I broke down yesterday and bought the game. I haven't activated it yet or tried it out yet. I'll post some impressions, opinions and what not sometime this week. If anyone is interested I'll post what server I'm on and you can come say hi. If you have the game of course.
Did you get a chance to try it yet?

Now that I got my new computer running I've been debating whether or not I should pick this up.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #17
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Did you get a chance to try it yet?

Now that I got my new computer running I've been debating whether or not I should pick this up.
Yes I have! I'll throw down some impressions right here and I will try to expand on anything that anyone has questions on.

Background

I've played EQ 1 (hated it, too much grind), World of Warcraft (pretty much the yard stick for every MMO from here on in) and Vanguard (which had some good ideas, but also some really bad ideas).

My character (and the only one I've tried so far) is a Female Guardian on some non player killing server (people can't just randomly stab you). She is level 14 right now, which means I've logged probably about 6 - 8 hours of playtime. in the grand scope of most MMORPGs this is almost no time at all.

So note that I have had experience with these kinds of things before, I have never really been overly hardcore (even in WoW) and I've only played this game for an almost insignificant amount of time in relation to how long people play these things (usually measured in days).

My rig is 2 1/2 years old, so it doesn't have up to date video cards or any of that so I'm probably not even getting most out of it.

Character Customization

Character customization is sometimes a big bullet point for people. It isn't really that big of a deal for me, since most characters end up covered in armor anyway, and so I may not be the best person to ask about this. Regardless of my tastes it is pretty intuitive and easy to come up with someone who looks pretty good. I wouldn't be expecting the ability to make someone who looks exactly like your best friend, but the potential is there for some interesting customizations. Bear in mind when customizing your characters look that the designers wanted to keep things within the Conan universe. This means that certain race/look combinations will not be available due to the designer's insistence that the game be true to the lore. For instance, one cannot expect a Cimmerian (barbarian people) to have black skin and so there is no ability to select black skin for your character when choosing that race.

Graphics/Music

With me running the game on an old rig, I have the settings turned down pretty low. That being said, me actually being able to run a PC game that just came out is pretty good, in my opinion. Even at low settings the game world looks pretty lush and interesting, and there are lots of details so far. From screen shots and looking at my friends PC I can tell that the game will look really nice on a newer rig.

The music is pretty good and fits the theme well. The grunts and groans of combat are nothing special.

Story/Quests

The story and quests at the very beginning of the game are fairly interesting, for an MMO. Each of your conversations with quest givers are actual scripted, voiced-over conversations that you would find in something like Mass Effect which is nice. Even better is that the voice acting isn't complete garbage, like you would find in many games these days. The quests themselves are pretty typical, ranging from "go here and kill these guys and get a key" to "get me 50 croc skins" but also include more interesting, story driven things such as "go talk to this person and get me a vial of virgin blood so you can blow up a volcano". All in all, the quests are (in general) delivered fairly well, and most of the story driven quests are fairly interesting and so far it is only the random NPC quests that are requesting you to go kill local wildlife for meat. I'm sure the occurrence of these quests will go up as you reach farther into the game, if the typical conventions endure.

Combat

Combat is a big deal in MMORPGs as it seems to be the only thing that hasn't really gone forward in any tangible way. Conan's big claim was that it had revolutionized it. The way the combat works is that (in the beginning) three of your keys are bound to a direction in which your character swings. When you click one of these three keys your character will perform a swing with his/her weapon, either to the right, to the left or a downward strike). This means a few things

a) There is no auto attack, you have to continually hit the buttons to do damage.
b) The direction of your attacks has an impact on how much damage you do (i.e. an enemy may be blocking a certain direction) and so you have to make decisions on the fly as to which way to attack.
c) You can actually hit multiple enemies based on how you are standing and which swing you use.

In general it is a good departure away from typical game conventions and it has made combat more interesting for me.

The special moves (at least for Soldiers) are based around a system called Combos. Each combo you try to activate will require you to hit the attack keys in a certain sequence which will then cause the combo to execute. This helps make things more interesting as you are often trying to use the right combo to do maximum damage based on how the enemy is defending.

The animations, the way the mechanics work and fatalities (special kills based on how you finish the enemies that look cool) all add up to make the combat system very refreshing. It should be enough to keep me interested into later levels to see how they handled other aspects of combat (mounted combat in particular).

Closing

In amongst all of the good stuff there will undoubtedly be grind and tedium timesinkedness that plagues the medium. Unfortunately I don't think that this will change any time soon. As such, I don't think that this game will bring anything really new and exciting to the genre to topple WoW. I do think that it is a step in the right direction with their refreshing combat system and more interactive story telling.

All in all, this is probably one of the better ones that I've tried this close to launch and that leaves me very hopeful. If you are a fan of MMORPGs then this is one I can recommend you trying. If not, you probably aren't going to find much to stick around for. As with anything game related, you won't truly know if you like it until you try it yourself, no matter what numbers are associated with the game on metacritic.

Sorry if there isn't a lot here. I should probably get back to concentrating on what I doing for a while. Please, if you have any questions, or just want more info, about anything let me know here and I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:56 AM   #18
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've read that since they wanted to make the game so graphically lush, they limited the number of animations you can trigger. So instead of every spell having it's own animation, there is one common animation no matter what spell you cast.

I'm not sure that is a big issue, but I wonder if it would take some of the depth out.

I've also heard complaints about the multiple instances and load screens. Are there lots of load screens? And can you meet up with friends, or is there a risk they may be in a different instance?
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #19
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

How is this game with the whole 3 pillar approach to group content? (ie, Tank, Healer, DPS)?

I really want to see a game break out from that formula and turn their "dungeons" into Gauntlet style romps. To me, that would suit more people and be a heck of a lot more fun in general. No more worrying if your "tank" is semi-intelligent, or if the DPS style player knows more then two abilities.

The removal of "crowd control" from games like this would be a plus too. I hate having to spend a minute setting up each battle, even the stupid fodder leading up to an actual boss.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #20
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I've read that since they wanted to make the game so graphically lush, they limited the number of animations you can trigger. So instead of every spell having it's own animation, there is one common animation no matter what spell you cast.

I'm not sure that is a big issue, but I wonder if it would take some of the depth out.

I've also heard complaints about the multiple instances and load screens. Are there lots of load screens? And can you meet up with friends, or is there a risk they may be in a different instance?
I can't comment on spells yet, I haven't tried any spell casting classes. As a soldier I spend most of my time hitting buttons and so I don't notice all of the fight animations. Most animations in the game are good, but things like jumping are a miss in the animation department.

Load screens are prevelent in many areas. Going from one zone to another triggers a load screen. Going from the outside to inside an Inn will trigger a load screen. As far as I can tell there are a number of them. However, even on my 2 + year old rig it doesn't take a long time to load, maybe 4 seconds for small loads (Inns) and maybe a little over 10 for zone changes. This is based off of number I pull forth from my...yeah, my sense of time isn't great so this could be totally off. It doesn't feel like that long to me.