Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #41
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm glad the org only thinks of Backlund as a 3rd line center. They're thinking like a stanley cup contender... on a stanley cup contender that's all he'd be.

The Sarich comment made my raise my eyebrows because Feaster was not around for that signing so I don't know what point there is to say "oh we wanted this other guy but he was gone so 'we' took sarich instead" doesn't make sense. Shut your mouth about Sutter already man
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #42
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
I'm glad the org only thinks of Backlund as a 3rd line center. They're thinking like a stanley cup contender... on a stanley cup contender that's all he'd be.

The Sarich comment made my raise my eyebrows because Feaster was not around for that signing so I don't know what point there is to say "oh we wanted this other guy but he was gone so 'we' took sarich instead" doesn't make sense. Shut your mouth about Sutter already man

Feaster re-signed Sarich last summer, that is why it is on him. What i don't understand is that they wanted another player, but when they could not get him, they offered the "insurance policy" Sarich a 2 year deal. If he was not what they wanted, then why 2 years?
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #43
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Feaster was fortunate that Comeau wanted a one-year deal instead of the offered two-deal. At least the Flames got a draft pick for him I suppose.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #44
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga12 View Post
Think they'll trade up with Blues pick + to nab Domi if they really like him?
Ugh, I hope we don't go chasing after Domi. Admittedly, Ive only seen him in a handful of games, but theres just way too much hype around this guy for what he is. I'm not impressed by backhand passes, followed by a dozen other lapses.

The only player I would want the Flames to move up for is McKinnon....and maybe Barkov. Anyone else, and I probably pass. I think there are too many good players in the 1st round draft and having 3 chances at them is just too good to pass up.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #45
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think it is silly that they say certain things at these meetings are "in confidence". If something should remain a secret, they should not be telling season ticket holders. No season ticket holder signed a confidentiality agreement.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #46
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
What?

He was the GM for the signing of Sarich to a 2 year deal last summer. What does Sutter have to do with anything?
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #47
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly. I was very happy with Backlund's play last season but the organization can't be assuming that the 2nd line centre position is sealed up. Its time for some higher expectations with this team, and unless Backlund continues to elevate to even another gear, they will need better centres in the top 6. Good signs aren't good enough any more.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #48
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Petan isn't thick at all so he doesn't fit the description. Nor is he ranked in the 10-12 range by anybody.

It is obviously Domi. He's built for his height and ranked top 10-12 by several sources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
They are both pretty much the same height. But it is obviously Domi that Feaster is referring to.
Where did Feaster say it was a guy who was 5'9 and thick? Did united say that is the recap or is that something someone else heard?

Also I don't think it would be all that risky at all to have Domi ranked 9-12 so it seems like Petan fits the description that united recapped better than Domi.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #49
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

nvmd...Kyuss was on the case lol.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #50
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The impression I got from what feasted said was that there was almost no chance of them taking a guy that size. Only if his other skills were so much better than the other remaining players AND he was a beast physically despite his size would they consider him. No way they move up for a small player.

Last edited by mikephoen; 05-29-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Quoted the wrong post. Response is to Table5 re: moving up to take Domi
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #51
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was going to post the same last night after getting back from the meeting, but shared OP's sentiments about keeping things that were said private to a certain degree as some things were said that I thought should not necessarily be public record.

A couple of points as well that haven't been mentioned (as far as I can tell):
  • Willing to trade up to get into top 3 picks as those guys are franchise players, but also fine with drafting where they are. All depends on the deals that are out there and asking prices
  • To clarify on Backlund, Feaster said they project him as 3rd line center with a possible upside of 2nd line center. That all depends on how he does. He also made a point of saying that Backs had a great season and would have been "comeback player of the year" if it were not for the performance of Stajan, whom he thought was great.
  • On Stajan, he also said that he's a 3rd line C and that's about it...
  • Management and KK are mad as hell any time someone runs our goalies without any kind of fear of retribution, and they want to build a big & mean team that will take care of business when needed. Sounds like they want to bring back the intimidation factor of playing in the 'Dome
  • Mentioned that the mood on the bench changed (for the better) when McGratan came back and guys felt safe
  • The theme throughout the night was to add size and skill, especially down the middle and on D

Last edited by Envitro; 05-29-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Envitro For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #52
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
From what I was gathering by how Feaster was talking about how other teams have cap issues, I'm thinking that they might do Stempniak for Langkow type deals in reverse where we send a lower line guy for a top 6 forward with a higher contract. (I know Langkow flamed out and Stempniak has been great, I'm talking in a generic concept)

I could see something like Stajan, Stempniak, or Tanguay for Heatley or for Marleau as both the Sharks and Wild are kind of screwed cap wise heading into next season and each of those players are okay, but not a huge amount better than any of the guys on the Flames. We get the better asset, they get cap relief and a decent replacement of some sort.

That's really the only way I could see us spending to the cap as the UFA's aren't really worth the commitment $/term wise
I agree, I think they could add some "post apex" higher value contract guys. If Feaster is saying they will get close to the cap this season then I can't see how else he would do that. As long as the players that get added are great in the dressing room and want to work with the younger guys then go for it. This is a good time to create a new leadership dynamic.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #53
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

I will be back at the lunch session today. I will add any new points that come up, and assume they may clarify some of the points made last night.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #54
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
[*]Mentioned that the mood on the bench changed (for the better) when McGratan came back and guys felt safe
Hope this means McG comes back next year
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #55
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
I will be back at the lunch session today. I will add any new points that come up, and assume they may clarify some of the points made last night.
If nobody asks about Ryan O'Reilly, can you? I think this is a situation that needs to be explained. It could've been a debacle of monumental proportions.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #56
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
If nobody asks about Ryan O'Reilly, can you? I think this is a situation that needs to be explained. It could've been a debacle of monumental proportions.

Actually I have some info on that, Ken King mentioned separately that everyone in the league was under the assumption that the offer sheet would've been viable as six teams put in offers to ROR. Colorado would not have allowed the situation to drag on and be put in the situation of having to match had they known that there was an issue (they would've been able to remove all bargaining power that ROR would've had). It was a bit of a gong show, but all the teams were under the assumption that it was legal and it was a mistake for not clarifying it (With six teams throwing offers in the pot, I would assume that it would've been A-OK as well because who would throw away a 1st + 3rd for nothing)
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #57
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
I'll be there as well.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #58
hah
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm going also.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #59
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is probably going to be the highlight of the next 12 months for Feaster. The man talks a fantastic game, but does nothing to back it up. I put our chances of moving up into the top 3 at exactly 0.00%.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #60
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the report guys.

Glad to hear about Gio... we're lucky to have him. Quality competitor.

The Iginla "5 more games" made me a bit sad... wish things turned out different. Iginla really believed in being a Calgary Flame... not many genuine players like him out there these days.

Tanguay... boohoo, again. Time to move his (again) sulky ass (again)...

Sarich... pretty big contract to your plan B...

McGratton... good