Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2022, 11:43 PM   #41
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The more I think (which clearly no one associated with the movie did at all), the more I despise the movie.

Like even the bullet-time was suppose to be a visualization for us. Yeah, I get it was trying to be meta, but no, Neo did not slow down the Matrix, the movie slowed down for us. It's explicit in the dialogue. Neo was not doing anything that the agents weren't doing already - moving very quick.

Trinity: How did you do that?
Neo: Do what?
Trinity: You moved like they do. I've never seen anyone move that fast.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:25 AM   #42
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I watched Matrix Resurrections free on a streaming platform and I would take this any day over any Marvel movie but that's my take. I might have second thoughts if I paid for it. I also enjoyed Jupiter Ascending & Cloud Atlas which are also regarded as a POS. I don't know, I just like the aspect of being surprised by what the Wachoskis made in these films, good or bad. After those last two I thought they were washed up in Hollywood and maybe they are now if this movie also bombs with fans. Resurrections for better or for worse kept surprising me.

I tried to sit down and watch Spider-Man Far from Home last week to prep for No-Way Home and I made it 15 minutes and shut it off. I'd rather go to the office and answer emails than watch most Marvel films.

If that's the kind of aggravation that Locke felt while watching the Matrix, I totally get it.
That's why I didn't mind it too.

My friend and I both stopped and remarked midway how creative it was. And how we both appreciated that.

Marvel movies are firmly within a formula and will never deviate too far from that, because otherwise they risk losing the good will they've earned from long time critic followers. But that means few surprises beyond whatever cameos/crossovers they pump in to whet the uber fans appetites.

This film took some risks. And it was clever. And it advanced the real world and made it much more interesting i thought.

Doing something different doesn't work with everybody.

But the original matrix itself was something different in the landscape of films at that point too.

They could've played it safe here and given everything the green tint, brought back and de-aged Fishburn, done some of the same bullet time shots, and kept it all recognizable and comfortable to consume. But then it could arguably be more justifiably labeled as lazy because it would've taken the same route as many, many sequels have before it.

This challenged the viewer a bit and brought new looks, new technology, a surprising premise, some wall breaking, and controversial ideas.

I dunno. I can't hate originality. And like you said this one had you guessing a bit.

Did they pull it off.. no. But if you were to tell me I didn't enjoy the ride that would be a lie. It was more than watchable. And we even liked the meta humour. Its rare that you can laugh with a movie poking fun at its own franchise while still wanting to know what happens next.

I'll take more experiments over forgettable formulaic sequels any time. Eventually you'll get that one that really works and stands out
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2022, 10:53 PM   #43
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I watched the movie tonight and the one thing that caught my attention was a red sign in the rooftop scene at the beginning of the movie that read “sabor a mierda” (taste like sh— in Spanish). A few seconds/minutes later, there was the Anderson bar sign with ‘taste like sh—“ in plain English.

I’m just wondering if there’s any consequences for freeing Neo and Trinity from the Matrix, or what happened with the conflict between machines?
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 12:46 AM   #44
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched it tonight. That was a waste of time. Barney Stinson as the villain was hilariously bad, and his giant dump of exposition during the bullet time sequence was as bad as it gets. The action was really bad. I thought the first half hour of making fun of the audience was good, but way, way overdone.

Just a waste of time, unfortunately. Too bad, I was really looking forward to this.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:14 AM   #45
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

the movie was dumpster fire of dirty diapers. it's as if they wanted to see how close they could get to the main characters turning to the cameras and saying "hey, #### you" and laughing as they count money.

Last edited by White Out 403; 01-08-2022 at 12:04 PM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post: