Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2017, 06:20 PM   #61
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Another unknown dissentowner fact. I was arachnophobic as a child. I bought my first tarantula when I was 16 to try and get over my fear of spiders, my dad had to feed it for the first couple months. Eventually I started feeding it and moved its enclosure into my room. Then I worked up the nerve to pick it up and it was docile. I started becoming obsessed with tarantulas and spiders and by the time I was 19 I had over 30 different species of tarantula. I started breeding and selling them although today I only have 5 different species. I was the first person in Canada that I know of to successfully breed Poecilotheria metallica as far as I know and still have a female, my favourite spider.

I have been bit by 3 different species, the worst being Haplopelma Lividum or Colbalt Blue by common name, nastiest spider I have ever dealt with.
That's really cool you bred Pokeys and sorry to hear about your Haplo bite. You ever breed or keep OBTs?

I'm never ever going to be a spider keeper, but I find it fascinating and often deep-dive into Arachnoboards and other spider-keeper and hobbiest forums. One of the best things I've seen on the internet is a video of a guy who's just been bitten by a Poecilotheria metallica
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #62
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
No chance I'm watching that. Spiders can exist in the wild, but unless it can be proven to me that they do wonders in my house or yard, they don't get a free pass from me.
Enjoy your mosquitoes and wasp/hornets etc
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:51 PM   #63
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
We have had to kill the tarantulas at the place I'm renting in Costa Rica. At first it was catch and release, but with 5 kids running around it's now death by broom. I feel really bad, but my 2 yr old wants to pick them up.

Killed 3 last night. Death count currently at 8 or 9 the last 7 days.
I lived in Central America for a number of years. In Nicaragua, we always had assorted tarantulas living in the house, including our bedrooms. They would be on the beds, walls, closet, everywhere. We let them live because they were hunting everything else. I don't recall ever killing one and they were certainly aware of us and avoided us - they appeared to sit in the corner of the wall watching us. I watched them creep around and do their thing, it was rather interesting.

I got bit by an unknown bug on the neck once while I was asleep, I woke up with two small holes and non stop bleeding (few hours), with the clot periodically falling off and the blood flowing again (this lasted a few weeks). This was in a house that had no large spiders walking around. I will take the large tarantulas any day of the week.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 07:31 PM   #64
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
That's really cool you bred Pokeys and sorry to hear about your Haplo bite. You ever breed or keep OBTs?

I'm never ever going to be a spider keeper, but I find it fascinating and often deep-dive into Arachnoboards and other spider-keeper and hobbiest forums. One of the best things I've seen on the internet is a video of a guy who's just been bitten by a Poecilotheria metallica
I had an OBT in my collection briefly but never attempted to breed. Baboon's are ridiculously aggressive and the OBT I had was always hiding and it just was not a spider I desired to keep. I did try and mate a King Baboon female once but when I introduced her mate he didn't even get a chance to get started before she killed him. Damn she was a monster but really pretty. She died during a molt and I never owned another baboon after that. I bred quite a few pokeys and they were extremely uncommon back when I was young. Even a P. regalis sling would fetch $100.00 back then. My P. metallica has never tried to bite me, she is pretty docile.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 07:41 PM   #65
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
I lived in Central America for a number of years. In Nicaragua, we always had assorted tarantulas living in the house, including our bedrooms. They would be on the beds, walls, closet, everywhere. We let them live because they were hunting everything else. I don't recall ever killing one and they were certainly aware of us and avoided us - they appeared to sit in the corner of the wall watching us. I watched them creep around and do their thing, it was rather interesting.

I got bit by an unknown bug on the neck once while I was asleep, I woke up with two small holes and non stop bleeding (few hours), with the clot periodically falling off and the blood flowing again (this lasted a few weeks). This was in a house that had no large spiders walking around. I will take the large tarantulas any day of the week.
That wasn't a bug that bit you, that was a vampire. You're a vampire now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 08:52 PM   #66
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Found the video, I was wrong: P. ornata, not P. metallica.

driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 08:54 PM   #67
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
I think he deserves a custom user title.
Spider-Man?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:06 PM   #68
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Found the video, I was wrong: P. ornata, not P. metallica.

Ya I have seen that one before. I don't envy that man during that time.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:28 PM   #69
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a fan of spiders. At least not the little ones. They give me the heebies.

I spent just under 3 weeks in the Bahamas (Eleuthera) many moons ago and so many of the spiders there are huge. We stayed at a boarding school (shut down for summer) and did some service work for them in order to be able to stay there. We'd come into the "cafeteria" in the morning and turn on the lights and bugs a'plenty would scatter - lots of cockroaches and other bugs I couldn't identify. We had to do a special clean of the counters, etc, before we could use anything. The big spiders were fun though. I can't recall the name of them, but they were really big - wolf spiders maybe? We used to have spider races lol - they were most often on the ceiling right over the tables, so we'd use big sticks we kept by the door, to tap the roof behind them, to get them to go running over to the other side of the room, so they didn't suddenly drop onto us while we were eating. I think the fact that they looked like they were the size of dessert plates (well, their leg span made them about that large, or they looked about that large) and easily seen is what made them not so heebie to me.

One of the guys found a tarantula on the basketball court one night and picked it up and was handling it and it suddenly jumped and lordy, they make quite the splat noise.

The other 2 bugs that were so creepy were the big arse centipedes or millipedes or whatever they were and some kind of wasp. Uck uck uck. Nasty things those centipedes/millipedes. We went to check the fishing lines of one of the school's "housefather's" one evening (he was trying to catch a shark, no idea why), and we could hear a buzzing that sounded like a horde of wasps but was really only a single wasp. Beautiful looking critter - large black main body, looked like black velvet, and orange wings. We were warned that they "don't just bite, they take chunks, and you don't ever want to tangle with one." I'm sure we were told the name of it, but I don't remember. A quick google doesn't seem to turn up any pictures of what I remember it looking like. Pretty, very beautiful insect.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 12:09 AM   #70
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post

The other 2 bugs that were so creepy were the big arse centipedes or millipedes or whatever they were and some kind of wasp. Uck uck uck. Nasty things those centipedes/millipedes. We went to check the fishing lines of one of the school's "housefather's" one evening (he was trying to catch a shark, no idea why), and we could hear a buzzing that sounded like a horde of wasps but was really only a single wasp. Beautiful looking critter - large black main body, looked like black velvet, and orange wings. We were warned that they "don't just bite, they take chunks, and you don't ever want to tangle with one." I'm sure we were told the name of it, but I don't remember. A quick google doesn't seem to turn up any pictures of what I remember it looking like. Pretty, very beautiful insect.
That would be a spider hawk. It is a giant wasp that stings tarantulas and paralyzes them. The wasp then drags the spider into the spiders own burrow and lays her eggs on the tarantula. The spider does not die, it remains alive and paralyzed until the offspring of the wasp hatch and eat the spider alive.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:11 AM   #71
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That would be a spider hawk. It is a giant wasp that stings tarantulas and paralyzes them. The wasp then drags the spider into the spiders own burrow and lays her eggs on the tarantula. The spider does not die, it remains alive and paralyzed until the offspring of the wasp hatch and eat the spider alive.
Pleasant creature.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:56 AM   #72
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Spider-Man?
Mother of spiders, First of his kind.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:41 AM   #73
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are there spiders in Alert, NU? This thread inspired me to move there.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #74
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll leave this here:

http://www.onemotion.com/flash/spider/
Old 08-04-2017, 09:10 AM   #75
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am 100% fascinated and terrified of this thread all at the same time.

I live in Regina, near the outskirts, and as much as i know the spiders around my deck are helping with the mosquito population, they're gd huge (to me at least... they're the size of my pinky nail), and i take a stick to them weekly to get the webs out and then the spider spray... my neighbors probably think i'm the world's biggest sissy.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:09 AM   #76
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I have been bit by 3 different species, the worst being Haplopelma Lividum or Colbalt Blue by common name, nastiest spider I have ever dealt with.

When this happens is it like in the movies where you immediately try and suck the poison out with your mouth? Even if it was on your butt?
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #77
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
When this happens is it like in the movies where you immediately try and suck the poison out with your mouth? Even if it was on your butt?
Nope, when this happens you scream an obscenity and take some Benadryl
Old 08-15-2017, 08:38 PM   #78
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Damn nature you scary

Quote:
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #79
something
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I am a spider collector and enthusiast but your video is not working. That being said unless you or your family are very allergic there are no spiders in Canada that will harm you from a bite.
Didn't work my way through the whole thread - but what about a Brown Recluse? Heard those can be pretty nasty.
something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:10 AM   #80
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by something View Post
Didn't work my way through the whole thread - but what about a Brown Recluse? Heard those can be pretty nasty.
You won’t find a Brown Recluse in Canada unless it hops a ride on some produce or something. We’re well outside of their range.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spiders nightmares