Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2023, 03:56 PM   #12001
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
The damn green bin truck has been grabbing my bin from in front of my lawn, chucking the content inside and then driving 10 feet forward and dropping my bin off in front of my driveway every time for the last three pick ups, blocking my ability to enter my garage.

What a dink.
Those guys are so useless. They miss my house and my neighbour's every three times or so. Then I call to get my stuff picked up and every time they accuse me of not pulling my bins out. So annoying...it's just the way the curve of the street takes them on their route that mine is really easy to skip because to hit it you have to back track slightly as there isn't a way to do it in a continuous loop with everyone else without overlapping.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 04:01 PM   #12002
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think someone might notice that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 04:03 PM   #12003
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The damn green bin truck has been grabbing my bin from in front of my lawn, chucking the content inside and then driving 10 feet forward and dropping my bin off in front of my driveway every time for the last three pick ups, blocking my ability to enter my garage.

What a dink.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Those guys are so useless. They miss my house and my neighbour's every three times or so. Then I call to get my stuff picked up and every time they accuse me of not pulling my bins out. So annoying...it's just the way the curve of the street takes them on their route that mine is really easy to skip because to hit it you have to back track slightly as there isn't a way to do it in a continuous loop with everyone else without overlapping.

Having the bins in the back (alley) is so much better. You never have to waste time or effort to put them out. Or remember when do to so. It's never a mess or smells and if the lazy dummies drop it off by a few feet you'd hardly ever notice. Basically would never buy a place if you have to deal with that eyesore in the front.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2023, 07:38 PM   #12004
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What a dink.
You probably didn’t leave him a bag of empties for Christmas
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2023, 08:04 PM   #12005
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Merging from the northbound Crowchild Trail bridge across Glenmore to get off at the next exit at 54th Ave RGMG.

You have to merge across two lanes of traffic from westbound Glenmore, and these ####ing re####s whip around that corner and loooove merging from the right lane into the centre lane—the left lane of the Glenmore offramp—once they're on Crowchild for no discernible reason.

To the oblivious tit in the white Volvo station wagon who flashed his high beams in my rear-view: the flashing amber lights on the right side of my car meant I was planning to move over. Instead you chose to pace me in my blind spot, and yeah: I cut you off. I admit I cut you off, and I'd do it again. If you had a couple of neurons to rub together you would have clued in when the blinky lights on the right side of my car never ceased to be blinky. Learn to merge and drive defensively you ignorant ####.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2023, 09:08 PM   #12006
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every time I drive that route I’m at a complete loss as to why everyone from Glenmore west to Crowchild north needs to merge over to the far left lanes absolutely immediately. The ‘next’ left lane exit on Crowchild is 6km away at Kensington Road and I guarantee a bunch of these dip####s aren’t turning there. They’re blasting back across three lanes again last minute to get off at 33rd into Marda Loop or 17th Ave.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2023, 09:15 PM   #12007
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think these ####wits get around the corner and mistakenly think the right lane is an exit-only on to 50th, so they think they have to get over to stay on Crowchild. When of course, in reality, the exit lane onto 50th is its own lane that is added on the right.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:22 PM   #12008
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

First of all, thank god you clarified that was Volvo wagon, because for a split second I was worried (although I don’t flash my high beams at people!)

But I drive that all the time, and I go the left as soon as possible to get around all the people going right. I don’t plan on exiting for a while, so I go to the fast lane to stay out of the way for both me and the people who are going to turn there.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 09:44 PM   #12009
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
First of all, thank god you clarified that was Volvo wagon, because for a split second I was worried (although I don’t flash my high beams at people!)

But I drive that all the time, and I go the left as soon as possible to get around all the people going right. I don’t plan on exiting for a while, so I go to the fast lane to stay out of the way for both me and the people who are going to turn there.
Stop doing that. I rarely have any problem getting up to speed in the right or middle lane, especially after the strugglers get into the left. Just stay in your lane and it makes it easier for the people who are turning to navigate where they’re going.

Edit: or don’t stop. Whatever.

Last edited by DownInFlames; 12-19-2023 at 10:12 PM.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2023, 10:10 PM   #12010
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2 View Post
I will offer an alternative opinion. Full disclosure my wife is a chiro. She graduated from the UofA with a physiology degree and attended the Canadian Chiropractic College in Toronto. All of her non-chiro classes were taught by faculty of the U of T med school. She has been practicing in Calgary for about 25 years. She has taken continuing education annually as well as additional courses such as graston technique, taping, etc.

To say she is not trained in manipulation or the mechanics and treatment of necks, the spine or the entire musculoskeletal system is simply ignorant and not based on the actual facts. I won't comment on the qualifications of a kinesiologist other than it only requires a 4 year undergraduate degree, is not a regulated profession and has a voluntary certification. If they wish to manipulate they can take additional courses, the same as a physio. Four years of daily hands on training or several weekends of courses. You decide.

Chiropractic is recognized by the Health Professions Act and is a regulated profession.

I know there is an incredible bias against the profession on this board against Chiro. None of the comments I have read over the years have been based in fact. Chiros treat and help millions of people a year whose ailments generally improve after intervention.

It doesn't help everyone, like most treatments.
Not all chiros are good. Some are better, some are worse. Some are simple grifters trying to get rich. Same as most professions. (except teaching. No one is getting rich teaching)

Sometimes people get hurt. That is sad but again, no different than any other treatment and much safer than some.
Chiro is not backed by science. This is simply not true. A simple google search will show the amount of research that has been conducted.

Anyways. I tend to turn the other cheek when this is brought up and don't wish to have a debate. I just tire of the drive by insults like the above that are not based in fact.

I realize I'm a bit late to the party... but wanted to support what you're saying. Had more than enough major injuries over the years and the conventional system basically said "go home and deal with it the pain or dysfunction". Instead I sought out and was lucky to find a couple of exceptional Chiro's (and other paramedicals too) that were highly trained and experienced and dealt with Olympic level athletes. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be doing 3/4 of what I'm able to do and would be living in pain, just like my GP and hospital docs expected me to. I'm talking everything from major soft tissue to multiple major joint issues; been there done that. I swear I've had more injuries than most of my friends combined. But I'm still super active thanks to continued self-care and working hard to stay fit, strong, and flexible.

I acknowledge it's not for everyone and most definitely there are useless ones out there, and sadly also dangerous ones too, just like most professions.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 07:01 AM   #12011
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

And this is exactly why it's so hard to get over to the right to turn on 50th, because everyone freaking does this. It's not necessary.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 07:44 AM   #12012
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
And this is exactly why it's so hard to get over to the right to turn on 50th, because everyone freaking does this. It's not necessary.
The truth is that interchange is brutal in every direction. Like you merge off Crowchild to go east on Glenmore? Terrible. You go from Crowchild south to get to that terrible merge, also terrible.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 07:51 AM   #12013
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a similar problem on my commute home, every vehicle while merging onto 14th street insists on moving immediately to the far/fast/left lane. Then at the next light I miss my turn signal because everyone is piled up in the left lane for no reason, blocking off access to the turning lane.

I don't know why they immediately move to the left lane, they're neither going fast or making a left.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 08:14 AM   #12014
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone thinks the left lane continues to be the 'fast' lane in rush hour and hurries to get over there. Quite often on Deerfoot or Stoney during rush hour now, I find both the left and middle lanes are at stopped or very slow and you can continue at a decent pace in the right lane.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 08:27 AM   #12015
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Every time I drive that route I’m at a complete loss as to why everyone from Glenmore west to Crowchild north needs to merge over to the far left lanes absolutely immediately. The ‘next’ left lane exit on Crowchild is 6km away at Kensington Road and I guarantee a bunch of these dip####s aren’t turning there. They’re blasting back across three lanes again last minute to get off at 33rd into Marda Loop or 17th Ave.
Because the right two lanes of northbound Crowchild typically slow to a crawl shortly after the Glenmore merge, while the left lane tends to flow better. I commute up to the university area, and I’m trying to get over the river as quickly as possible. If I stick to the middle lane I can get jammed up doing 40-50 while the left lane is a steady stream of cars doing 70, and I miss my window of getting over. So left lane it is. Sorry, not sorry.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 12-20-2023 at 08:30 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 08:32 AM   #12016
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hosting XMas dinner and thought I'd buck the turkey tradition and get a beef tenderloin.

After shopping around, I bought a very expensive (but cheaper than Sobeys/Safeway) beef tenderloin from Costco, only to realize that I have to now process it properly and then tie it up somehow.

I am concerned I am going to have a very expensive dinner disaster on my horizon.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 08:39 AM   #12017
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? Now with 3x more gears...

Quote:
Hosting XMas dinner and thought I'd buck the turkey tradition and get a beef tenderloin.

After shopping around, I bought a very expensive (but cheaper than Sobeys/Safeway) beef tenderloin from Costco, only to realize that I have to now process it properly and then tie it up somehow.

I am concerned I am going to have a very expensive dinner disaster on my horizon.

Great excuse to buy a new knife!

They aren’t too difficult to manage, though now you probably wish you’d bought the denuded one from Costco instead. I think there are actually instructions in the store you can take home on how to break the tenderloin down into various cuts.

Edit: found their guide online.

https://www.costco.ca/canada-beef.html

Last edited by Wormius; 12-20-2023 at 10:01 AM.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 09:36 AM   #12018
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Because the right two lanes of northbound Crowchild typically slow to a crawl shortly after the Glenmore merge, while the left lane tends to flow better. I commute up to the university area, and I’m trying to get over the river as quickly as possible. If I stick to the middle lane I can get jammed up doing 40-50 while the left lane is a steady stream of cars doing 70, and I miss my window of getting over. So left lane it is. Sorry, not sorry.
There is something about Crowchild, specifically Glenmore to Bow Trial, that has one the one hand, people doing 90km/h and people doing 50km/h.

I think it has the greatest difference in speeds among the roads in Calgary
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 09:52 AM   #12019
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Crowchild is just a mess in general from Glenmore to Charleswood. It’s dog eat dog. Too fast, too slow, weird exits and entries, 3 lanes, 2 lanes, 4 lanes that goes to 2 lanes with a forced exit on one side and a logical zipper that people absolute hate letting people zipper on the other.

But it’s our mess, god dammit.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 10:02 AM   #12020
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

To be clear, I'm complaining about this specifically:

Y U DO DIS?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It slows to a crawl after the Glenmore merge because of the unnecessary lane-changing! QUIT IT!