Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-31-2010, 10:40 AM   #41
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh and get an ice machine, they are incredible.
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #42
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

An ice machine?

Edit: Yeah I hope I get percocet again, I had it for a previous injury and it was wonderful... I just don't want the hospital staff to think I'm some drug addict when I'm begging them for it on my hands and knees.

Thank god the Flames season starts soon after I have my operation.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:06 AM   #43
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.dme-direct.com/donjoy-ice...-1100-don-joy/

This thing is awesome. You put some ice in it with water, and it pumps the ice water to a sleeve wrapped around your knee. Was key for my recovery.
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #44
Deuce Bigalow
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Agreed with IliketoPuck,

I had a lateral release, tibula tubula transfer, medial plication done on my left knee (for reoccuring dislocations) 5 months ago, and I am going to have it done on my right 1 week from today. I'd asy my left knee is at about 70% of where it should be.

A few things I learnt from the first time:

1. Eat well. Seems obvious, but how can your body repair itself if you dont have all the nutrients.

2. Cryo Cuff's are money. Other than the obvious benefits I really liked it as it kept my leg from getting itchy while it was in my locking brace for a month. That and it could store a few extra beers in it.

3. Obviously check with the doc, but I would definatley hop on a joint supplement afterwards, it can only help.

4. Keep you leg up as much as possible. A few times I had my leg just straight and I'd wake up with my foot super swollen.

5. Keep doing calf stretches / ankle rotations. If i didn't do this all the time my calf would often sieze up in the middle of the night, very painful!

6. Dont rush back to physical activity. My doc and physio both say this is the # 1 problem after the surgery. What is an extra couple of weeks/months of rehab vs screwing it up again?

Thats about it. I aint a doctor so if your's tells you otherwise obviously go with that.
Deuce Bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:59 PM   #45
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have no advice, only sympathy for people with ACL issues. This is something cool though - I was hiking recently with a woman who had a replacement ACL from a cadaver! How cool is that.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:10 PM   #46
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

First - yes pay for the MRI. The sooner you get the surgery done the easier your recovery will be. If you've lost range of motion it will be difficult to get back if you are waiting month.

Get the MRI.

And that ice machine is a god sent - that's also a must.

My recovery didn't go that well - I had to have a second operation and my knee is still not that great. At this point it probably will never be.

But I'm a rare case - a lot of the surgeries go a lot better. Best of luck!
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:37 PM   #47
joe_mullen
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Never got an MRI on the original injury. My surgeon figures I probably partially tore the ACL 4 years ago and its been getting worse since - kinda like slowly tearing a piece of paper I guess.

But couldn't get them to do an MRI no matter how much I pressed. That's the frustration.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

The swelling has gone down, my challnege now appears to be bruising. My entire leg is one big ass bruise.
Not to discount your experience and the unacceptable MRI wait times, not getting one initially was likely the right call. A full ACL tear is a clinical diagnosis requiring surgery. A partial ACL tear is not a surgical indication and is treated usually with physio and bracing. There is an over reliance on diagnostics like MRIs which leads to the awful wait times. A good MD should be able to diagnose a tear without an MRI. The imaging may be required for complicated injuries and surgeries but not always essential. That being said, the wait times are unacceptable, but I'll take it over a private healthcare system everyday of the week.
joe_mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:34 PM   #48
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for the advice folks.

Interestingly I was researching MRI costs in Canada and abroad and I came across private clinics in Germany and Norway that charge roughly 250 pounds for a basic MRI scan. But that cost also covers airfare (From the UK), pickup from the airport and one nights accomadation should you need it.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:48 PM   #49
Circa89
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

And that ice machine is a god sent - that's also a must.

So I have a major knee surgery coming up probably in December but I will know for sure in a few weeks after I see a second surgeon.

Where did you buy these ice braces or better yet is anyone wiling to part with theirs? I hope none would need it again, it is collecting dust in basement and therefore I could purchase it for a mere pittance, Pennies on the dollar?
Let me know if anyone is willing to sell me a slightly used one.
Circa89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:52 PM   #50
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circa89 View Post
So I have a major knee surgery coming up probably in December but I will know for sure in a few weeks after I see a second surgeon.

Where did you buy these ice braces or better yet is anyone wiling to part with theirs? I hope none would need it again, it is collecting dust in basement and therefore I could purchase it for a mere pittance, Pennies on the dollar?
Let me know if anyone is willing to sell me a slightly used one.
I bought my through the hospital. Basically when I'm woke up - it was there and already strapped on to my knee. Ask your surgeon - most will be recommending it anyways.

I would sell you mine but I still use it when my knee is particularly sore.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:29 PM   #51
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird timing. Had a guy on the other team at ball tonight blow out his knee running the bases. Was pretty bad, he'll probably need surgery.

Haven't had any experience with this, but my dad had knee replacements. Do the physio and follow the instructions and you should be good to go sooner than you know!
Old 11-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #52
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Gonna bump an old thread again.

Just received my MRI results and yay for me, completely torn acl. I guess the only good thing is that the meniscus and all other ligaments are fine.

It's funny now that it is confirmed, looking back at what I have done and what an idiot I was for doing it. I Water skiid 2 days later, I moved into a new place carrying furniture up and down stairs for 2 days, I have been working and getting around just fine, its kind of sobering now looking ahead to the next year is going to be like.

For now while I wait for surgery, the Doc said to go get a brace and maintain activity so as not to let the muscles deteriorate around the knee. (For some reason he kind of brushed off Physio)

I'm wondering what others had for a brace or if you picked one up at all. I have kind of looked at them and they ranged from 100- 1200 bucks. I can handle coughing up a couple Robert Borden's but 1200 bucks is pretty steep.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #53
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Did the doctor not tell you specifically what type of brace you need? Different knee brace support different things - getting the wrong one will basically be useless.

And the type basically sets the price.

The good news is most beneft packages cover braces.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #54
NBC
Account closed at user's request.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Gonna bump an old thread again.

Just received my MRI results and yay for me, completely torn acl. I guess the only good thing is that the meniscus and all other ligaments are fine.

It's funny now that it is confirmed, looking back at what I have done and what an idiot I was for doing it. I Water skiid 2 days later, I moved into a new place carrying furniture up and down stairs for 2 days, I have been working and getting around just fine, its kind of sobering now looking ahead to the next year is going to be like.

For now while I wait for surgery, the Doc said to go get a brace and maintain activity so as not to let the muscles deteriorate around the knee. (For some reason he kind of brushed off Physio)

I'm wondering what others had for a brace or if you picked one up at all. I have kind of looked at them and they ranged from 100- 1200 bucks. I can handle coughing up a couple Robert Borden's but 1200 bucks is pretty steep.

I'd think that physio prior to surgery is a good thing - better than a brace. I had my ACL repaired last year and was in rehab for 4 months prior to the reconstruction. You'll also get a leg brace post-op as well.

Any decent physio will instruct you in good strengthening exercises you can do that will not put any more stress on your knee that what it can handle.

Good luck with it all - my reconstruction was done here in the UK and not Canada. Apparently the idiot orthopedic surgeon I saw thought I was fine and told me to go home. That was in 2002. I've got permanent damage to the articular cartilage that can't be repaired. So like poor Jiri, I've got pain that may never go away.

Good luck.
NBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #55
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

+1 for the recently torn ACL camp!

I tore mine on Sept 14th and will be seeing a surgeon on Nov 16th for my initial consultation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
This all has made me think... how long do you think before some of the higher end secondary healthcare insurance providers start adding private MRI clinics to their insured services? (at a price of course)

They already do! MY company's Sun Life plan includes $1,000/year for "diagnostic imaging"...

BUT, there's always a but, this only applies to provinces in Canada that do not already have secondary health coverage. Since Alberta Health Care provides no charge diagnostic imaging Sun Life will NOT cover it. The coverage simply exists to get your hopes up when reviewing your policy and for those living in Quebec...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_mullen View Post
A good MD should be able to diagnose a tear without an MRI. The imaging may be required for complicated injuries and surgeries but not always essential.

This.

I first saw my GP on Sept 23rd. He did all the knee tests and told me "it's probably just a sprain, you'll be fine in 4-6weeks". At the same time he referred me for an MRI which is scheduled for Dec 30th.

Now I also got kind of lucky in that I found out about the acute knee injury clinic at the U of C. (which unfortunately was only a trial program, hence the "luck" part) Anyways, this clinic would accept you to see a sports med doctor if you had experienced a knee injury within the past month WITHOUT the need for a doctors requisition. I had my appointment there on Oct 4th with a follow up on Oct 18th and the sports med doctors were able to tell me, without a doubt, that my ACL was torn.

To recap:
GP visit w/ poor diagnosis Sept 23rd -> MRI Dec 30th -> Sports Med referral + 3 months -> Surgeon referral +2 months -> Surgery +3 months -> Rehab +6 month = 100% Feb 2012 or 17 months post injury...

Sports med w/ good diagnosis Oct 18th -> Surgeon visit Nov 16th -> Surgery 3 months -> Rehab + 6 months = 100% Aug 2011 or 11 months post injury...

A knowledgeable doctor just cut my wait time down by 6 months and saved 1 MRI spot that can now be used for someone else.

kevman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #56
NBC

Exp:

^ I had a nightmarish time with the AB healthcare system. It took 11 months to get the MRI and my surgical consult was a year to the day after the original injury. My GP refused to send me for the sports med consult thinking that I too 'sprained' my knee - told me to get some ice and take ibuprofen. Nice one. The real kicker for me was the surgeon took one look at file and after reading for 30 seconds he told me I was fine and that I could go. Didn't look at the MRI itself. Didn't manipulate my knee; nothing.

Went to my GP here in the UK and right away he sent me for the consult. MRI took 2 weeks to get. Many deride the NHS here but in my experience it is heaps better than the AB system. Because that one surgeon though I was fine when clearly I was not, I have to live with pain of his mistake. I really hope all of you poor fellas have a much better time than I did.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #57
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Did the doctor not tell you specifically what type of brace you need? Different knee brace support different things - getting the wrong one will basically be useless.

And the type basically sets the price.

The good news is most beneft packages cover braces.

Yes he "prescribed" a derotational brace. I just thought that a brace for a torn acl would be pretty standard.

I just looked up my benefit coverage and yes I am covered for a brace so that is good.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #58
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC View Post
I'd think that physio prior to surgery is a good thing - better than a brace. I had my ACL repaired last year and was in rehab for 4 months prior to the reconstruction. You'll also get a leg brace post-op as well.

Any decent physio will instruct you in good strengthening exercises you can do that will not put any more stress on your knee that what it can handle.

Good luck with it all - my reconstruction was done here in the UK and not Canada. Apparently the idiot orthopedic surgeon I saw thought I was fine and told me to go home. That was in 2002. I've got permanent damage to the articular cartilage that can't be repaired. So like poor Jiri, I've got pain that may never go away.

Good luck.
Thanks,

Ya I have seen two different doctors, and one mentioned physio about 10 times, the next one when I specifically asked about it, he just said get the brace and go to the gym. I think I am going to take a combination of both doctors advice.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #59
NBC

Exp:

Good to hear. If you don't have a good physio, I had some success with Canada Sport Rehab at the FDB arena.

Best of luck.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #60
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post

This.

I first saw my GP on Sept 23rd. He did all the knee tests and told me "it's probably just a sprain, you'll be fine in 4-6weeks". At the same time he referred me for an MRI which is scheduled for Dec 30th.

Now I also got kind of lucky in that I found out about the acute knee injury clinic at the U of C. (which unfortunately was only a trial program, hence the "luck" part) Anyways, this clinic would accept you to see a sports med doctor if you had experienced a knee injury within the past month WITHOUT the need for a doctors requisition. I had my appointment there on Oct 4th with a follow up on Oct 18th and the sports med doctors were able to tell me, without a doubt, that my ACL was torn.

To recap:
GP visit w/ poor diagnosis Sept 23rd -> MRI Dec 30th -> Sports Med referral + 3 months -> Surgeon referral +2 months -> Surgery +3 months -> Rehab +6 month = 100% Feb 2012 or 17 months post injury...

Sports med w/ good diagnosis Oct 18th -> Surgeon visit Nov 16th -> Surgery 3 months -> Rehab + 6 months = 100% Aug 2011 or 11 months post injury...

A knowledgeable doctor just cut my wait time down by 6 months and saved 1 MRI spot that can now be used for someone else.

That is what I thought, but apparently it is not that simple.

Both the doctor and physiotherapist had a difficult time diagnosing the tear because when compared to my other knee the movement when manipulated was very close. The Doctor was surprised that I hadn't previously injured my other knee. Apparently I have a lot of laxity in my good knee so they were confused, but the other symptoms did point to an ACL tear, so he wanted to do an MRI to confirm.

Also, when you guys received your results, did they show you the MRI scans and explain them?

My Doc just walked in and said "Yep completely torn ACL, we'll set you up for a surgeon consult" and that was pretty much it.