Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #201
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
I really wish that I understood the pedestal that this board put Wiesbrod on...
The guy who went to Russia and put his stamp on Cervenka as a top 2 line center at 2.8mil. Turns out he can't play Center on a very bad team in the NHL. That guy?
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #202
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
The guy who went to Russia and put his stamp on Cervenka as a top 2 line center at 2.8mil. Turns out he can't play Center on a very bad team in the NHL. That guy?
Cervenka's base salary is less then one million, his cap hit is 3.7 million based on bonuses.

No idea where you pulled 2.8 out of. If Roman ever hit his bonuses it would be more then worth it. He hasn't worked out, it's a one year deal. Really no risk whatsoever.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #203
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Cervenka's base salary is less then one million, his cap hit is 3.7 million based on bonuses.

No idea where you pulled 2.8 out of. If Roman ever hit his bonuses it would be more then worth it. He hasn't worked out, it's a one year deal. Really no risk whatsoever.
It's not about the salary though. If Wiesbrod thought that this guy could play centre in a top 6 role at the NHL level, when he clearly is not even remotely capable of this, that would call his scouting abilities into question, no? At the very least, should it not slightly diminish the Jesus-like aura that he has around this forum?
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #204
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's not about the salary though. If Wiesbrod thought that this guy could play centre in a top 6 role at the NHL level, when he clearly is not even remotely capable of this, that would call his scouting abilities into question, no? At the very least, should it not slightly diminish the Jesus-like aura that he has around this forum?
That's uncomfortable to think about.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #205
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not so sure he's a huge bust. Yes he's in the coaches doghouse but he did look good for the most part playing with Hudler. I feel there are probably factors off the ice contributing to his struggling that Wiesbrod didn't factor when scouting him. I don't agree with Francis much but he hit the nail on the head when he said this morning that playing Cervenka on the 4th line is plain silly. IMO Hartley for the most part has handled him poorly.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #206
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, I was just taking issue with where timbit got his numbers from.

To your point, I have no idea how good or not Wisebroad is but even the best scouts get things brutally wrong sometimes. I'm sure the greatest gm or scout haves picks that would make you question them.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #207
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
That's uncomfortable to think about.
Now consider that it was this same scouting that lead Flames management to come to the conclusion that Ryan O'Reilly is a franchise centre and worth giving up a first and third round draft pick for. How much do you really trust this man's opinion?
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote