Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2024, 10:35 PM   #1421
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://vancouversun.com/news/future...s-plan-meeting

Future of decriminalization uncertain as addictions ministers, police chiefs plan meeting

B.C. police chiefs are concerned that law enforcement officers have no power to stop problematic drug use in hospitals or public spaces.

Wilson, who is also president of the B.C. Association of Chiefs of Police, said: “In the wake of decriminalization, there are many of those locations where we have absolutely no authority to address that problematic drug use.” For example, if someone smokes crack cocaine on a beach next to a family, “it’s not a police matter,” she said.

Wilson also said “there is nothing police can do” about drug use inside hospitals
, the prevalence of which has become apparent in recent weeks as nurses are speaking out about their exposure to toxic drug smoke in the workplace.

“These are all things that we raised prior to decriminalization taking effect that we don’t feel were adequately addressed,” Wilson said.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:37 PM   #1422
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol! The title of 'Addictions Minister' makes me chuckle.

Imagine explaining that at parties!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:49 PM   #1423
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
You haven't walked back your diversion stuff. Just saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
My diversion stuff?

Ah, you mean the RCMP publicly saying in the news that there was "an alarming trend" involving organized criminals redistributing drugs intended for the safe supply program. Then the additional language later that it wasn't technically "widespread" and that safe supply diversion prescriptions were found in a "minority" of drug seizures. I'm surprised they didn't give more clarity what exactly that meant.
Some more clarity, I guess "no widespread safe supply diversions" and a "minority of drug seizures" meant 49.99%.

The testimony in front of the House of Commons Committee seems to be consistent with the original BC RCMP public statements and seems to fly in the face of the what the BC Minister of Public Safety claimed. From the news report, the government seemed to be "caught off guard" by the testimony.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/safe-supply-va...rted-1.6850520

While addressing a House of Commons committee Monday, Deputy Chief Fiona Wilson claimed about 50 per cent of hydromorphone seizures were diverted from safe supply drugs.

“That’s just in recognition of the fact that someone who’s on a bonafide safe supply program has a more regular significant supply,” said Wilson, who was speaking in her role as the president of the B.C. Association of Chiefs of Police.

Premier David Eby was asked about these comments Tuesday, and said that this was the first time his government had heard these numbers from the VPD.

Last edited by chemgear; 04-18-2024 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:53 PM   #1424
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Lol! The title of 'Addictions Minister' makes me chuckle.

Imagine explaining that at parties!
Sex right? You're talking about sex addictions, right?

Parties indeed.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:02 PM   #1425
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

BC government is now seeking to ban drug use in public spaces.

https://ground.news/article/bc-seeks...riminalization

Quote:
After weeks of troubling stories about problematic street drug use in hospitals, parks and at bus stops, the province of British Columbia announced plans to recriminalize the use of drugs in public places Friday — radically altering a pilot program aimed at addressing the toxic drug crisis.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 03:48 PM   #1426
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post

Well...its a little late now!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-26-2024, 03:49 PM   #1427
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post

Big surprise and shocking development. Illegal to smoke a cigarette but 2.5 grams of narcotics is no issue in public spaces.

This was remarkably predicable because the inmates are running the asylum and Joe and Jane public have reached a boiling point. People in BC are about as tolerant as possible with regards to drugs and the associated problems but a lot of people just can't deal with this literally everywhere.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 04:10 PM   #1428
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's quite surprising actually, but credit to Eby and his government if that's accurate.
Probably due to increased difficulty for police to enforce anything without some legal backing.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 10:07 PM   #1429
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Yep Bc is now recriminalizing drug use in public spaces after 8 years and 14,000 deaths, per CBC.

The right call IMO.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2024, 12:09 AM   #1430
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Yep Bc is now recriminalizing drug use in public spaces after 8 years and 14,000 deaths, per CBC.

The right call IMO.
Wow. Who could have seen that coming? Other than everyone.

Old 04-27-2024, 07:10 AM   #1431
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arguably the deaths would remain consistent public/private
Buy the public doesn't deserve to have to deal with it on a daily basis.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 07:25 AM   #1432
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The notion that the public would benignly tolerate that level of disorder and squalor in public spaces was always beyond naive.

Advocates tried a new approach to addiction. It didn’t work. Time to try other strategies.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2024, 12:26 PM   #1433
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post

The right call IMO.
Sorry just for clarity the decriminalization period started in January of 2023, it hasn't been an 8 year project. Obviously a failed a project, which I assume the safe supply pilot project will be as well. We can't expect people who are addicted to opioids act in a logical or reasonable way.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 12:30 PM   #1434
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, the way Mr. Coffee worded it was weird. It also sounds like he's attributing the 14000 deaths to the decrimalization of drugs. I mean, maybe some? If anything I'd imagine pushing people away from the public would lead to more deaths as drug addicts rely on being visible when they OD to get help (that's why many shoot up close to high foot traffic areas).
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 12:42 PM   #1435
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The notion that the public would benignly tolerate that level of disorder and squalor in public spaces was always beyond naive.

Advocates tried a new approach to addiction. It didn’t work. Time to try other strategies.
It seems to me that the idea of "let's try a new approach to problems" without looking ahead to possible consequences, is becoming the norm for our leaders these days. Common sense seems to be in short supply.
flamesfever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 08:18 PM   #1436
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Some more clarity, I guess "no widespread safe supply diversions" and a "minority of drug seizures" meant 49.99%.

The testimony in front of the House of Commons Committee seems to be consistent with the original BC RCMP public statements and seems to fly in the face of the what the BC Minister of Public Safety claimed. From the news report, the government seemed to be "caught off guard" by the testimony.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/safe-supply-va...rted-1.6850520

While addressing a House of Commons committee Monday, Deputy Chief Fiona Wilson claimed about 50 per cent of hydromorphone seizures were diverted from safe supply drugs.

“That’s just in recognition of the fact that someone who’s on a bonafide safe supply program has a more regular significant supply,” said Wilson, who was speaking in her role as the president of the B.C. Association of Chiefs of Police.

Premier David Eby was asked about these comments Tuesday, and said that this was the first time his government had heard these numbers from the VPD.
Sorry, I took a break from this thread because I think my emotions were getting the best of me.

I'll have to look into these numbers. On the surface they don't really add up when put up against the number of people who are actively accessing safe supply.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2024, 08:21 PM   #1437
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Arguably the deaths would remain consistent public/private
Buy the public doesn't deserve to have to deal with it on a daily basis.
I would almost guarantee that there will be more deaths as a result of this, but I think Eby's hands were tied politically.

Even the most ardent decrim and safe supply supporters, including myself, think the way everything was rolled out was very haphazard.

EDIT: I will credit Eby with legislating that people can't just be arrested if they're simply caught carrying personal amounts.

Last edited by rubecube; 04-27-2024 at 08:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2024, 08:32 PM   #1438
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I would almost guarantee that there will be more deaths as a result of this, but I think Eby's hands were tied politically.

Even the most ardent decrim and safe supply supporters, including myself, think the way everything was rolled out was very haphazard.

EDIT: I will credit Eby with legislating that people can't just be arrested if they're simply caught carrying personal amounts.
This is not about allowing the police to arrest people for simple possession of drugs. It’s about allowing the police to move people along who are smoking fentanyl in front of stores or inside hospitals.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 08:36 PM   #1439
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
This is not about allowing the police to arrest people for simple possession of drugs. It’s about allowing the police to move people along who are smoking fentanyl in front of stores or inside hospitals.
Hence why I said I liked the move.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:30 PM   #1440
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, the way Mr. Coffee worded it was weird. It also sounds like he's attributing the 14000 deaths to the decrimalization of drugs. I mean, maybe some? If anything I'd imagine pushing people away from the public would lead to more deaths as drug addicts rely on being visible when they OD to get help (that's why many shoot up close to high foot traffic areas).
Yeah I didn’t: don’t mean it like that. I agree the deaths are not entirely attributable to decriminalization. I just reported the stat that CBC used in their article and I do think those deaths are more numerous with decriminalization.

I guess ultimately my question would be, to what extent does making it illegal stop deaths from drug use? If it is any at all, then it’s worth making illegal.

But to more clearly articulate my position, I believe Canada needs to do what seems to have worked and that is mirror Portugal’s policy. I’ve said this for awhile now. I don’t understand how a country has made huge strides and then we don’t think we should just copy that model, and part of that model involves some level of arrest / incarceration to get people clean and then put in way more resources into rehab and detoxification and therapy and training for jobs, etc.

Not just arrest and then fire them back out on the street after a few hours, as if that will do anything effective.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:

Tags
but ocean and mountains , but top 3 in world