Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2010, 04:46 AM   #1
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Software for Designing a Newspaper Ad?

I'm part of a smallish non-profit weight loss organization. As I have mentioned in a few of the "getting in shape" threads, I've lost a significant amount of weight over the last year with this organization. As far as I am concerned, this group is better than Herbal Magic, Dr. Bernsteins, L.A. Weight Loss and Weight Watchers all combined. And much, much, much cheaper. It's just that most people don't know about our organization. So I was thinking of putting some ads in the local papers. I have some ideas about layout, but it's all in my head.
Is there any good (cheap) software out there for doing this?

BTW - My main computer is a G5, but my laptop is a Pentium, so either OSX or Windows is good.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Microsoft Publisher is what I would use, but I wouldn't call it cheap unless you found a copy of Office 2003 kicking around.

I have never tried it, but Scribus probably will do what you need. It is Open Source so free to use.

You could probably also get away with Open Office Draw or GIMP, which are open source as well.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Adobe InDesign. Either Mac or PC. If you know how to "acquire" software, it's pretty much as cheap as humanly possible.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
FlamingInfinity
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd say an Adobe program as well. They seem to be pretty standard with any publishing company. InDesign sounds like a safe bet.

You could do a mockup in Photoshop as well if you can't 'find' InDesign.
Giordano: He plays for the oilers, enough said.
FlamingInfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I design ads for a newspaper and what I use is Photoshop and QuarkExpress. Both aren't cheap but have trial versions.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're buying ad space in the paper, they should have a package available that would include creating the actual ad.

I don't know what they charge for ad design, but I'd think it's probably cheaper than buying software and will ultimately look better if you let a professional do the work based on your ideas.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
If you're buying ad space in the paper, they should have a package available that would include creating the actual ad.

I don't know what they charge for ad design, but I'd think it's probably cheaper than buying software and will ultimately look better if you let a professional do the work based on your ideas.
That's actually a very good point.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Adobe InDesign. Either Mac or PC. If you know how to "acquire" software, it's pretty much as cheap as humanly possible.
What has been implied here?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Implied, or implode?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
I'm part of a smallish non-profit weight loss organization. As I have mentioned in a few of the "getting in shape" threads, I've lost a significant amount of weight over the last year with this organization. As far as I am concerned, this group is better than Herbal Magic, Dr. Bernsteins, L.A. Weight Loss and Weight Watchers all combined. And much, much, much cheaper. It's just that most people don't know about our organization. So I was thinking of putting some ads in the local papers. I have some ideas about layout, but it's all in my head.
Is there any good (cheap) software out there for doing this?

BTW - My main computer is a G5, but my laptop is a Pentium, so either OSX or Windows is good.
If you want I could try and whip something up for you.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Good grief...rather than advocate piracy, why not download a completely legal and assuredly virus free 30 day trial of Office 2010 from office.microsoft.com, which includes Publisher, and do it up in that?

On the Mac side, there is a 30 day trial version of iWork 09 available that is G5 compatible, and Pages is quite capable at doing Publisher-style layout too.

Of the two, Pages would probably be easiest for the simple layout work you are envisioning.

Edit: for that matter, you can download a trial version of Adobe Creative Suite too if you really want to go overkill. I see no benefit to using InDesign for something as simple as a newspaper ad however.

Edit: Finally, if this is a true, registered not-for-profit, you should get them to sign up with Tech Soup Canada - then you’re talking about fully licensed copies of Office for like $30 a head, Creative Suite for about 1/5 what it costs retail, etc.

Last edited by sclitheroe; 07-31-2010 at 10:43 PM.
sclitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:32 PM   #12
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
That it is possible to acquire software without paying for it.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #13
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

You can also download a CS5 trial for 30 days...fully functional. You can add a key down the road if you want.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:34 AM   #14
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow. CS5 is fairly cheap. It only costs $1,899.

I checked out tech soup. Very interesting. I don't think the weight loss group would qualify, but some of my other groups would. First, I'm not an official agent of the organization. They can't be giving away free software to all 170,000 members of the group. Second, they don't seem to have a category for weight loss. It's mostly non-profit environment, anti-poverty, raise money for cancer type thing.

I think I'll try QuarkXpress. Sixty days is more than enough for us to put something together. If that doesn't work for me, I'll try some of the others. Thanks for all the suggestions!!
Old 08-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #15
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Second, they don't seem to have a category for weight loss. It's mostly non-profit environment, anti-poverty, raise money for cancer type thing.
You’d be surprised who can qualify for Tech Soup, I know a number of gyms/athletic programs that do, for example.

It’s mostly in how you present it - you’re not just about weight loss per-se, you are a not-for-profit with a teaching mandate on overall health and nutrition.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Finally, if this is a true, registered not-for-profit, you should get them to sign up with Tech Soup Canada - then you’re talking about fully licensed copies of Office for like $30 a head, Creative Suite for about 1/5 what it costs retail, etc.
I can't believe I didn't think of mentioning that.

Techsoup is great for non-profits. You can get a copy of Microsoft Expression for like $13 or CS4 for $169
Old 08-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #17
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Before you start designing a newspaper ad you should probably look into the cost. Any of the larger papers are going to cost a lot of money for a decent size ad. Throw in colour and you're looking at thousands for one ad.

Also, you'll want to make sure you fight for good placement. Ads get lost in the herald pretty easily.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #18
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Before you start designing a newspaper ad you should probably look into the cost. Any of the larger papers are going to cost a lot of money for a decent size ad. Throw in colour and you're looking at thousands for one ad. Also, you'll want to make sure you fight for good placement. Ads get lost in the herald pretty easily.
First, I'm in Ottawa, but I don't think that makes a difference to your point. You could probably tell my home base by looking at the Own This World map of Canada.

I don't think I mentioned that this was a little local paper.... not a huge paper like the Ottawa Sun or Ottawa Citizen. There are two TOPS chapters in Kanata and I'm thinking to ask the other chapter to share the cost to put something in the Kanata Kourier, which has a subscription base of about 25,000 households. The cost for a black and white 1/8th page is $170 for non-profit organizations. If the other chapter decides to join us, or even with our own budget, we can afford to run a few at that price.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #19
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
First, I'm in Ottawa, but I don't think that makes a difference to your point. You could probably tell my home base by looking at the Own This World map of Canada.

I don't think I mentioned that this was a little local paper.... not a huge paper like the Ottawa Sun or Ottawa Citizen. There are two TOPS chapters in Kanata and I'm thinking to ask the other chapter to share the cost to put something in the Kanata Kourier, which has a subscription base of about 25,000 households. The cost for a black and white 1/8th page is $170 for non-profit organizations. If the other chapter decides to join us, or even with our own budget, we can afford to run a few at that price.
I have to start paying more attention to our eastern Canada players. I haven't been out there since last year. =)

If you have the money, you might want to consider a magazine ad instead. With newspaper you get one day to capture your audience (unless you book your ad for multiple days). If you pick the right magazine you'll have a month or more of exposure. Check out your dentist/doctors/hairdresser/etc offices to see what they have lying around their waiting room. If they have old and new copies, even better. Local magazines have cheeper rates than nationals.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote