Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-28-2010, 03:27 AM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Insomnia, it sucks

Day 3 sitting up at 3:00 after staring at the walls for the last 4 hours.

Who needs coffee.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:33 AM   #2
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Who needs coffee.
I know what you mean. Last night, couldn't sleep, ended up pulling an all nighter (had an early morning class), got 4 hours sleep and haven't been able to fall back asleep.

It blows.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:41 AM   #3
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Count me in as well. I don't really mind it too much, except for when it costs me in the morning as I find myself late for things often.

I've recently figured that I may as well and try and make the most out of it. I've been watching various TV shows on DVD while using my treadmill or by working on my latest video projects. I find its a good way to kill the time until I can fall asleep and accomplish something at the same time.

Last edited by AC; 02-28-2010 at 03:48 AM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:49 AM   #4
Orange
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I know what you mean. Last night, couldn't sleep, ended up pulling an all nighter (had an early morning class), got 4 hours sleep and haven't been able to fall back asleep.

It blows.
Same here, seem to spot you on the hockey league forums at 3:00 am often. Why we check to see if anything has happened at the time, I don't know.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:04 AM   #5
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
Same here, seem to spot you on the hockey league forums at 3:00 am often. Why we check to see if anything has happened at the time, I don't know.
Well, we made a couple trades last night so it all worked out.

That's a good idea AC, I try to get any minor paper work done or some minor tasks done when this happens as well. Just finished throwing a primer coat on one of my walls for something to do.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:45 AM   #6
chalms04
First Line Centre

Exp:

Join the club.

I normally try and get some homework done.
chalms04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #7
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it always happens to me during this time of year. I checked my saved game files on Civ4, and they were from February 08/09 and this year. Whenever I have trouble sleeping, I turn to civ.

What makes matters worse is that Roll up the rim season is March.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Join the club(or seeing as you're older than me, I'm joining yours). I know its 8am now, but I've been basically up all night. I come from a family of insomniacs, its a curse. Especially frustrating is my borderline narcaleptic girlfriend sleeping beside me practically in a coma.

I usually just watch TV because I always hold out hope that I'll fall back to sleep so I don't wanna get myself going too much. And starseed, I hear ya about Civ4.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have also had varying levels of insomnia. For me I had to do something about it because with my career, I couldn't just shrug it off, and at my age I don't want to become dependent on sleep meds.

I found a thing called sleep tracks. It is based on the science of brain entrainment, but with a lasting effect. At first it sounds ridiculous but it actually helped me. It is both a video course teaching you about the mechanics of sleep plus audio tracks that train your brain waves for sleep.

I don't know what a true insomniac is but I would have bouts every once in a while, especially the night before work. It got to the point where I was calling in sick because I had maybe 20 mins of sleep before a 14 hour day at work. That is just not do able.

Like I said, it sounds a little "out there" but if you are a true insomniac you are probably desperate to try anything, and this helped me.

One small tidbit is that If you can't sleep, watching TV, playing games, interwebzing, working on creative projects are about the worst things you can do. Painting is probably one of the better things.

By the way I sure don't sell the stuff but I know how frustrating it is when you can't fall asleep.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
Weiser Wonder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to have a hell of a time sleeping. What I did was starting watching TV right before bed, something easy going like The Simpsons or Seinfeld. It distracts me while not engaging me too heavily. I'll watch one episode, if that doesn't work I'll get up and do something, wait to get tired. If it's taking a while I'll sedate myself with whatever I have kicking around the medicine cabinet. That sounds a little iffy but taking minor drugs to sleep is much, much better than staying up all night.
Weiser Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #11
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know about you folks, but all of my friends who had/have supposed insomnia issues were the same people who were constantly ingesting caffeine, staying up late to play video games or watch TV (and did so in their rooms or in bed), and were generally inactive.

For most people I'd wager to guess it's a lifestyle thing. Not to imply that any of you don't have a medical condition or what have you.

Is anyone here on melatonin?

Whenever I get insomnia it's from anxiety for the next day and/or from thinking too much when I lay down to sleep. If it became a problem I would think there are easy ways to deal with it (ie relaxing techniques for whenever you first go to bed).
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #12
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hear drinking a lot of alcohol in a short amount of time helps with sleep.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #13
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In the same boat. Its so bad that sometimes i think i have a sleeping disorder. I feel much better when i can go to sleep at around 4:00(AM) and wake up at 12:00 than "normal" schedules. I can maintain a 9 sleeping schedule for a couple days but i always revert to insomnia, and staying up for days on end. It sucks. Especially because society punishes you for it. I need a night job methinks.
doozwimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #14
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozwimp View Post
In the same boat. Its so bad that sometimes i think i have a sleeping disorder. I feel much better when i can go to sleep at around 4:00(AM) and wake up at 12:00 than "normal" schedules. I can maintain a 9 sleeping schedule for a couple days but i always revert to insomnia, and staying up for days on end. It sucks. Especially because society punishes you for it. I need a night job methinks.
Same here. I used to have a "normal" schedule, go to sleep at 12-2, wake up at 9-12. Then I took a year off school where I'd work until 2am four times a week and I developed a bad habit and now still I don't go until bed until 5-6am, and that includes days when I got to be at school at 9am. It sucks.

I am almost afraid I will never get out of this habit.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #15
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just woke up from a 3 hour nap, did I miss anything?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #16
Guest1

Nahhh... Just in time to watch the closing ceremonies.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #17
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Been suffering from Insomnia for about a decade, thought this thread would help, But it just put me to sleep.
Methanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Methanolic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #18
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Who needs coffee.
Don't worry, it'll all be over in 7 to 18 months: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_familial_insomnia
Old 02-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #19
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

CaptainCrunch.....are you fairly active? I used to go through (typically) 3-5 day long bouts every couple of months.....lasted almost 15 years. Once I got serious about physical activity (ie. 30-90 mins, 3 to 5 times per week) the insomnia literally vanished. Haven't had a bout in almost 3 years.

Dunno....not scientific or anything, just one dude's experience. Thought it may help?
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #20
iggypop
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanolic View Post
Been suffering from Insomnia for about a decade, thought this thread would help, But it just put me to sleep.
Ah yo!
iggypop is offline   Reply With Quote