Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #21
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a buddy that had these if money is no object. There is nothing that can compete tbqh.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/page.asp?id=46

EDIT: The same ones Photon just linked... They were the most comfortable headphones I have ever used and the sound was unreal. I think he paid around $300 for them.

Last edited by Boblobla; 08-28-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:04 PM   #22
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
I really wish there was a way to try these things out before you buy them. I, apparently, have oddly-shaped ears. There hasn't been a single pair of buds that I've owned in the last 10 years that have fit properly or comfortably. Even if I sit absolutely still, the damn things still fall out. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I have an iPod nano. I listen to it on the bus and that's about it. I'd like to listen to it when I exercise but I can't because buds won't stay where they are supposed to. I don't need expensive or fancy ear phones but would like something that fits nicely/comfortably, doesn't suck too much and are relatively inexpensive. Despite how attractive those Shure buds look (and no matter how many good things I hear about them), I don't think I can justify that price tag for what I intend to do with them.

Any thoughts?
I have the same problems. I bought a pair of Sony like the b/o ones mentioned but for about $25 at London Drugs. I ran a marathon in them and they were great.

FS also has these which look kind of neat: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...10101385&catid= and for only $25
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #23
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the input. I might have to try those Sony's. For $25 (and a return policy to back it up) it's hardly a gamble. Not sure I'm going to like stuff around my ear like that. Guess you can get used to it...
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #24
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

If you have more than a passing interest in average headphones give this site a look http://www.headphonereviews.org/index.php ..

It gets pretty crazy some very expensive stuff, but its neat to see what available and how crazy you can get with this stuff

I personally have a Sennheiser HD555 which is more than enough for my current needs playing video games, listening to music.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...07&catid=10036
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #25
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the cheapo JVC Marshmallows. Can't complain whatsoever and they're easily the best bang for buck in the $25 price range. Best part was I was listening with them a few months back one day while using my paper shredder and, well...you know the rest. As fate would have it, a few days later BestBuy was having an online only sale and put them up for $6.99 each, so I picked up a couple pairs. Great earphones for their buck.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:24 PM   #26
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought some Sony cordless headphones and I would recommend that nobody else makes the same mistake.

The box claimed that they work within 100 feet of the transmitter, which is why I bought them. Unfortunately, that 100 foot distance cannot be interrupted by any sort of exotic barriers, such as drywall.

They are really comfortable though, and might work great if you live in a gymnasium, quonset, barn or warehouse.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #27
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I was at UofC I used to buy griffen earthumps from the UofC tech store. They only cost about $25 and sounded quite good. I don't know where to get them now that I'm in Van, or else I would continue to use those.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #28
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sony mdr ex85 in ear headphones. Cost about $75 and sound great. I've always been very happy with the sound quality of Sony earphones at that price range.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:52 PM   #29
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I got a pair of Ultimate-ears... costly but they sound pretty good. Worth the price? Not so sure... but they have this mold-able wire around your ear that helps it from falling out.

http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimat...escription.php
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #30
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

AKG K26P headphones rock! They are small enough to be portable, yet they keep out sound pretty well (not as good as in ear buds though) and they are comfortable! The sound quality is amazing for the $50 price!
Old 08-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #31
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

http://www.headphone.com/ is also a good site to check out
Old 09-07-2008, 08:58 PM   #32
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can anyone recommend some headphones to me? I had a pair or Sony sports headphones very similar to these: that I really liked until they broke last year. I bought a similar pair at WalMart for about 10 dollars and the quality was unspeakably bad. I would wear these things at work, so I would like something along the same lines. I can't wear earbuds.
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #33
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Produ...roduct=3319650

Sennheiser MX-500's.
They are great, fit my ear, sound great, and got a warranty from The Source for 3 years. Already used it once!
Pagal4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #34
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagal4321 View Post
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Produ...roduct=3319650

Sennheiser MX-500's.
They are great, fit my ear, sound great, and got a warranty from The Source for 3 years. Already used it once!
Those are what I use right now. They sound great but do not fit my ears at all. All I have to do is think about turning my head and they fall out. Too bad because the performance and price are right.

I got mine at Memoryexpress more than a year ago. They carry a lot of Sennheiser headphones and earbuds for pretty decent prices.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #35
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've heard as far as a cheap pair the Creative brand isn't bad for your "bang for the buck". Also Sennheiser does make some great home audio stuff, can't go wrong with their products.

On a side note, I purchased these DJ headphones http://www.akg.com/site/press_center...nodeid,33.html (not recommended for just at-home listening) and they are great, and fit my giant melon head comfortably which is very important second only to being able to differentiate highs, mids and lows obviously.

The only thing is the wire is thin, but they offer an aftermarket wire which is much better quality as the wire does tend to wear after a while. I bought the Sony brand DJ headphones and as soon as I brought them home they weren't working, brought 'em back to Axe and found I like the AKG's much better anyways.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #36
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone used an external headphone amplifier? I am thinking of getting one for the portable dvd player as the sound is so low but it would also help with the crappy sound from the Macbook speakers. Here is one in an altoids box:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CMOY-ALTOIDS-SPEA...QQcmdZViewItem
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #37
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

To bump this very old thread.

There are pretty good deals available for various different kinds of SkullCandy headphones and earbuds on Ebay. Are they worth trying? They also offer lifetime warranty.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #38
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I use a pair of Ultimate Ear earphones, pre Logitech. SuperFi 5 EB model, I believe.

Last edited by TurnedTheCorner; 10-06-2012 at 11:46 AM.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #39
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

http://www.klipsch.com/image-s4i-black-in-ear-headset

Been using these for almost a year, needed something with a remote/mic on the wire because apple earbuds are junk.
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #40
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been through two pair of Skullcandies. They are so damn fragile it's ridiculous. The cheap plastic arms break so easily. I wouldn't get them.

There are better options around the same price. I got a pair of Sony headphones at Winners for $30 and they work well.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote