Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2017, 09:24 AM   #1
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default "Snack Shaming"?! Is this a thing now?

This article just seems a little weird for a lot of reasons. I don't know if it matters that the child is autistic here, but the point seems to be that the kids are supposed to eat healthy snacks, and this student was forced to eat in the hallway because he has banana bread. And it looks like he has been coming home uneaten apples and oranges that weren't sent with him.

I guess I'm not sure how I would react if that was child Maybe embarrassed that my food I sent wasn't "healthy enough". Then again I have volunteered on field trips and seen what some kids are given for lunch and I thought it was pretty shocking.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...ys-calgary-mom
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know one teacher who needs a punch.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #3
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its crap...it has gotten so politically correct that its becoming extremely difficult for parents. I understand that there are cases when questions should be asked, but to shame the poor child is simply the wrong way to go about this anyways. Makes my blood boil.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, wow. That teacher is completely out to lunch.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Teacher should be talking to the parents if there is a concern with food being sent to class, not putting the kid in the hall or taking the food away.

At the same time, banana bread isn't really all that healthy. Despite having the word banana in it.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:48 AM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

First of all your a teacher not a parent. So by doing what the teacher is doing and removing a kid from a social situation she's a pretty terrible teacher.

The teacher should literally be told to FO. If I was a parent that packed my kids lunch bag and the teacher was trying to impose her will on that, I would pummel him or her with the stuff that she was giving to my kid.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 09:51 AM   #7
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, Canada is too fat. Check out the obesity and overweight rates, it's appalling. Teaching young people the value of healthy nutritional food early is a great idea. Having a healthy snack break seems entirely reasonable to instill in these young minds the type of snacks they should be eating.

If he doesn't want to eat a healthy snack during healthy snack time, I suppose that's up to him (or more accurately his mother) but then he should have to wait to eat his banana bread during lunch.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

It's not "imposing her will" though. It sounds like a school policy. I don't like the policy but there it is.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The teacher actually took away the food that the parents gave the kid and replaced it. Who the hell does this teacher think they are.

I would be pummeling the principal about freaking boundaries.

That's really poor behavior, unless the parents are sending their kids to school with drano sandwhiches and snake venom in a sippy cup, mind your own freaking business.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #10
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oddly enough in the pre-school our daughter goes to, it's actually hard to give them any fresh, home made foods as snacks because of all the peanut allergies (and the school not knowing what went in the food). So basically they're mostly only allowed to eat pre-packaged crap.

Last edited by Table 5; 04-10-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:54 AM   #11
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
It's not "imposing her will" though. It sounds like a school policy. I don't like the policy but there it is.
That's the problem though, it doesn't seem to be a school policy.

I'm all for teaching kid healthy eating habits, I think it should be a mandatory subject for every year of school. But forcefully imposing your ideas on someone who really doesn't understand what is happening is the wrong way to do it.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:54 AM   #12
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Terrible decision by the teacher. If the banana bread had nuts in it or something, I suppose there might be a legit concern, but that is about it. The teacher/school needs to encourage good eating habits, not kick kids out of class.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
The school is not the parent, they can teach, but when this teacher is taking away food items forcing a kid into isolation and trying to cram her own choices into his lunch bag that's not teaching that punishment and shaming.

Its also negative re-enforcement.

If the school wants to send the kid home with suggestions, fine, if they want to have a phone call with the parent about it fine. But the way the school handled it is completely wrong and the Principal and the teacher need to be reprimanded about where the boundries are.

The school is not the parent.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #14
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The teacher actually took away the food that the parents gave the kid and replaced it. Who the hell does this teacher think they are.
Did the teacher take away the banana bread during healthy snack time, allowing him to eat it later, or did she take it away for good? That's quite the difference. It would be unacceptable for her to throw out the banana bread, obviously, but forcing him to eat it during lunch would be completely reasonable. In that situation she is giving a child an orange or apple to eat, in which case that teacher should be praised. Only in a fatass country would someone complain about a teacher giving a child a fruit to eat.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:57 AM   #15
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
At the same time, banana bread isn't really all that healthy. Despite having the word banana in it.
I'll grant that it isn't the healthiest thing out there, but it isn't really un-healthy either. A little high on sugar, and butter too much butter isn't great. However if the kid is being sent with a slice for a snack and it's something he will eat- it certainly doesn't warrant the kind of response the teacher gave.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #16
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I can see the issue that a lot of teachers have... my wife is routinely tasked with trying to teach kids who literally arrive at school with a lunch of Swedish Berries and a Coke. But banana bread for a kid on the spectrum? That's a bit nuts. I get what schools are trying to do, but there's a line that's getting crossed in some cases imo.

Still, with anything like this it's important to keep in mind there are two sides to every story. I'm not outright calling anybody involved a liar, but it happens a lot and all we have is a single news story.

I'm certainly not going to discount that it happens though, as a friend of mine did have an issue with this. Her daughter helped out with her baby brother and received a pre-packaged rice crispy square as a reward in her lunch. When she couldn't open it, she took it to the teacher for help, and it was promptly confiscated. That's sending some crazy mixed signals to a kid who suddenly felt like she may have done something wrong.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #17
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Did the teacher take away the banana bread during healthy snack time, allowing him to eat it later, or did she take it away for good? That's quite the difference. It would be unacceptable for her to throw out the banana bread, obviously, but forcing him to eat it during lunch would be completely reasonable. In that situation she is giving a child an orange or apple to eat, in which case that teacher should be praised. Only in a fatass country would someone complain about a teacher giving a child a fruit to eat.
As the parent said, the teacher took it away and replaced food items that were un-eaten.

The child is autistic, how do we know that the kid isn't a massively picky eater, clearly the fruit went un-eaten. Its the teachers job to teach, period, this isn't teaching, there was no lesson learned here and it was done negatively and it sounds like without at least consulting with the parent.

The school and the teacher are in the worng and used a shaming tactic by sending the kid out of the room.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Cuz
Old 04-10-2017, 10:00 AM   #18
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First of all your a teacher not a parent. So by doing what the teacher is doing and removing a kid from a social situation she's a pretty terrible teacher.

The teacher should literally be told to FO. If I was a parent that packed my kids lunch bag and the teacher was trying to impose her will on that, I would pummel him or her with the stuff that she was giving to my kid.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:00 AM   #19
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The school is not the parent, they can teach, but when this teacher is taking away food items forcing a kid into isolation and trying to cram her own choices into his lunch bag that's not teaching that punishment and shaming.
Yet when a student refuses to play ball hockey during gym, you would (should) have no problem telling him to sit down and shut up outside of the gym. Yet, healthy eating is more important than exercise in terms of the obesity epidemic.

You seem to be confused by healthy snack time and lunch.

During gym, you participate in the gym exercise - whatever that might be that day. During recess, kid should be able to be active however he wants.

During healthy snack time, you should be required to eat a healthy snack. During lunch, kid should eat what he's been given.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #20
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
Teacher should be talking to the parents if there is a concern with food being sent to class, not putting the kid in the hall or taking the food away.

Sssssssssshhhhhh. You're going to alert people about how we've been sneaking cake for so long...

(Full disclosure: My wedding cake was a banana bread cake with coconut icing. We love banana bread.)