Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-26-2015, 05:40 PM   #1
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:
Default Halo 5

Hey CP, not sure how many people are planning to pick this one up, but after reading and watching reviews/previews pre-ordered!

Sadly most (all) my friends are on PS4. Hoping we can get some awesome CP Warzone action.

My xbox tag is: juraverybadmista

Some reviews:

IGN:
http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2015/10...&utm_content=2

Giant Bomb:
http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/hal...view/1900-720/
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #2
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

When they announced that spilt screen was not supported anymore I was not impressed. Probably going to skip this one.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #3
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Fair enough. It is drop in and out coop, but I don't really know anyone that plays split screen these days.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always hated that I couldn't aim down sights for most guns in the Halo series thus far. I might grab Halo 5 now that you can do that.
My buddies are all really excited for this, and are bugging me to get it.

Seems like there are many more PS players on CP, so this might not be a busy thread!
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:54 PM   #5
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I've always hated that I couldn't aim down sights for most guns in the Halo series thus far. I might grab Halo 5 now that you can do that.
My buddies are all really excited for this, and are bugging me to get it.

Seems like there are many more PS players on CP, so this might not be a busy thread!
Oh believe me. Im fully on the PS4 side, but always had a spot in my heart for the Halo Series. Halo 2 MP basically took up a year of my life in University, and Halo 3/ODST/Reach were all awesome experiences. Halo 4 didn't quite have the same magic, but it was a good Halo game. Hoping this one is alright too.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:08 PM   #6
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just in time for that $180 controller (I should have picked it up with it was $80!)

Frame rate looks good. The sudden texture pop-in and mesh stuff look kinda weird. Irrelevant though if they can get the online a hell of a lot better than the Master Chief Collection.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-tech-analysis

Frame-rate: Without a doubt, the defining technical feature of Halo 5 is its frame-rate. Delivering a stable 60 frames per second across the board, Halo 5 feels marvellous to play.

Dynamic resolution: It's clear that hitting 1080p while maintaining 60fps would not have been possible in Halo 5 but rather than simply opting to render at a low resolution across the board, 343 has implemented one of the most impressive dynamic resolution scaling systems we've seen to date. In Halo 5, X and Y values are adjusted independently enabling a wide range of values designed to maximize performance. The lowest recorded value we find is 1152x810 but we see arbitrary values such as 1168x810, 1440x840, 1344x972, and 1536x1080 as well.

Image quality: While the dynamic resolution system is impressive, the reality is that the game spends the overwhelming majority of its time well under full 1080p.

Level of detail: As in many games, object detail is adjusted based on proximity. This means that models use lower quality assets from a distance with higher quality models swapped in as players moves closer. The issue here is that these LODs often appear too close to the player and lack any sort of transition.

chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #7
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pre-order DLC code for the first person who activates it:

EDIT: Gone.

Last edited by chemgear; 10-26-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:15 PM   #8
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

That got claimed quick
Old 10-26-2015, 07:20 PM   #9
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
That got claimed quick
Sorry man, I'll post more if I can get more.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:13 PM   #10
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

My XB1 has been collecting dust since I bought it, but I'm hoping this is the game that will change that. Can't wait.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:52 PM   #11
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 10-26-2015, 11:27 PM   #12
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

About two missions in now. Actually really impressed. The controls plays between a mix of Halo and Destiny. Not sure I could go back to classic Halos with the new movement/aiming mechanics.

That locked 60fps is amazing. Gameplay is classic halo.

Having the most fun i've had in a Halo campaign as 3, maybe reach
Old 10-27-2015, 07:04 AM   #13
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
About two missions in now. Actually really impressed. The controls plays between a mix of Halo and Destiny. Not sure I could go back to classic Halos with the new movement/aiming mechanics.

That locked 60fps is amazing. Gameplay is classic halo.

Having the most fun i've had in a Halo campaign as 3, maybe reach
As in Halo Reach?

I ordered this via the Amazon E3 sale and I haven't even got notification that it's shipped wtf? With Best Buy you would get a shipment notification the Sunday evening before the game's release like clock work. Kind of lame Amazon.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-27-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:38 AM   #14
zzibradleyizz
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Got the notification it was shipped to my mailbox, can't wait to play it tonight! Been hearing great things about it!
zzibradleyizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:50 AM   #15
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

My day 1 impressions have not changed. Game released at 10 and finally went to bed around 1. Up to mission 5 and played Warzone in MP.

-anyone that got burned on MCC, just know multiplayer was working awesome yesterday. Found matches in seconds, no lag;
-normal mode is really easy. Probably best to start at heroic for most players. The game has a revive mechanic that makes it a bit easier, so jacking the difficulty is appropriate.
- game is a serious gem to play. locked at 60fps, never noticed any slowdown.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #16
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm gonna start on Legendary because I hate myself.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #17
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone get a shipping notification from Best Buy/Futureshop? I ordered this two years ago from Futureshop and I've been getting my orders shipped without issue (The Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid 5) however with this I've not received anything.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #18
zzibradleyizz
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Anyone get a shipping notification from Best Buy/Futureshop? I ordered this two years ago from Futureshop and I've been getting my orders shipped without issue (The Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid 5) however with this I've not received anything.
I ordered from BestBuy, got the shipment notification last Friday, and it actually got shipped at 10am on Monday to my mailbox. Probably just Canada Post messing things up.
zzibradleyizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #19
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ordered it online on Tuesday night, and was at 35% download as of last night. Hoping everything is good to go for when I get home tonight.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:05 AM   #20
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played it for a couple hours last night.

Graphics are amazing. Gameplay feels crisp. I'm in love.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post: