Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #21
Short Shift
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Irving put the team in a hole they just couldn't get out of.
We should be seeing Brust and/or Taylor tomorrow, Tuesday and Wednesday. I'd be shocked if Leland plays again before the 19th.
Short Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #22
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Irving if he doesn't beat out Karlsson for the back up gig in CGY.

Can't really see him riding out the season as the third stringer in Abby, but he does have an SPC.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #23
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Irving if he doesn't beat out Karlsson for the back up gig in CGY.

Can't really see him riding out the season as the third stringer in Abby, but he does have an SPC.
They need to keep Irving or Karlsson within shouting range as they need three goalies under contract. I guess they could sign one of Taylor or Brust.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #24
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
They need to keep Irving or Karlsson within shouting range as they need three goalies under contract. I guess they could sign one of Taylor or Brust.
I actually think we will see the Flames with 3 goaltenders
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #25
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fun fact:

Irving got pulled tonight. His last appearance in net was on December 5th versus the Rampage at the AESC. He got pulled in that game as well.

Taylor replaced him both times.

Kid's confidence must be non-existent. His confidence must be bordering on Luongo's during the playoffs.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #26
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Its what happens when you dont play in regular games. Kind of dumb how they the heat have handled him. Regardless of his preseason you dont make him the 3rd string.
Isn't their some contractual issue with him still? I thought he had a PTO which limited his appearances.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #27
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Isn't their some contractual issue with him still? I thought he had a PTO which limited his appearances.
25 appearances including sitting on the bench.

To this point they've only used it under ten times. He's had six starts and maybe only a few times on the bench.

All in all though, he was awful tonight. No two ways about it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #28
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
I believe that once the lockout ends, the Flames will have to waive him to officially send him to Abbotsford because his NHL contract will take precedence over his AHL PTO (not that he's likely to have any problem clearing).

I suspect he'll be on a plane to Calgary along with Brodie, Horak, and Street (and maybe more?) either Saturday or Sunday.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:57 AM   #29
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ward wouldn't say how many or who would be making the trip, but he did say tomorrow at some point they'll be hopping a plane.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #30
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
25 appearances including sitting on the bench.

To this point they've only used it under ten times. He's had six starts and maybe only a few times on the bench.

All in all though, he was awful tonight. No two ways about it.
He's had maybe one solid appearance all season. I think it spells the end of Irving as a Flame.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:03 AM   #31
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Irving probably lowered himself a couple notches with his struggles this year. However, the Flames soured on Karlsson a lot last year too so they'll take both guys' full history in account and let them battle it out in camp. As much as Irving's AHL struggles this year are a negative, he looked like the much more capable guy in NHL games last season. With Ramo waiting in the wings I agree Irving's on thin ice right now and I wouldn't be surprised if the Flames parted ways with him after this season, but I also still wouldn't be surprised if he wins the backup job and does decent with it.
Stampede2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:46 AM   #32
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

What Irving has done in Abbotsford likely means nothing what so ever. He was there to stay in shape and work with a goaltending coach within the organization. Now it is Irving vs. Karlsson, a battle in which he has won in the past. Plus with him actually practicing and working with the organization during the lockout he has the upper hand on Karlsson who has not played in a game or regular practice since last season.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #33
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have said it before and I will say it again. Irving can play in the AHL. We know it. He knows it. The Flames know it. He did it for years.

Him not performing well for his couple of games in the AHL this season doesn't tell us anything at all except that being a third string goalie isn't a recipe for success.

My hopes aren't high for his future. But, he will still be given a chance at Flames camp to be the back-up for Kipper. He just needs to brush off the AHL season and start over Sunday.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #34
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Agreed - his Abby experience is irrelevant.

The backup job is up for grabs and whoever plays better in camp is going to be opening the door for game #1
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #35
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The sooner Irving gets away from Ward and the Heat the better. Ward benching him for Taylor at the end of the season and in the playoffs last year was a shame from a Flames perspective.

I agree that nothing should be taken from his time in the AHL this year. He proved last season that he's the better option to back up Kipper.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #36
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's six games people... six games. Hell, he had a slightly larger sample size at the NHL last season and impressed so much so that he earned the backup spot.

Has he struggled this season? Absolutely. Has he been given the opportunity to get out of this funk? Absolutely not. Playing every two weeks as the third string goalie is not going to give anybody confidence. Getting the opportunity in camp to earn the backup spot is probably the best thing that could happen for Irving at this time. Show some confidence in the kids abilities.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #37
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they decide to take Karlsson over Irving based on a 6 day training camp, I don't if I'll laugh or cry first.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #38
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Irving has always had complete control in his destiny. He isn't getting it done, simply as that. Earning a backup job (even though 2 goalies in the AHL have surpassed him, but aren't invited due to not having NHL contracts and not being a high pick) is his LAST opportunity here I would imagine.

For those of you that are booing and saying: "Ward should have played him more... He needs to get out of this funk", etc.. Keep in mind he is coming to Calgary to be the BACKUP. Flames can't afford him to be inconsistent like this (or rather, consistently bad as he has been this season). He didn't get many starts in Abby, but that is really how it would have been in Calgary anyways - only against better shooters!

I don't think he wins the backup spot from Karlsson this year. Karlsson was pretty decent in his first year here, and then kind of fell apart in the 2nd year. He was never 'awesome', but he was decent for a backup. First backup in years that this was the case. Irving stepped up last year and was decent too.

Personally, I think this is it for Leland. He will move on after this season if he doesn't make backup. Perhaps the Flames would even trade him at some point this season.

Either way, Ward had ZERO affect on Irving. Irving has been 100% responsible for his own career to this date. Flames have given him every opportunity to succeed. Personally at this point, I am looking past Irving at Brossoit, Gillies and even Ortio as the Flames' 'future'. Irving, in my mind now, is a stop-gap at best (and yes, I do really hope I am wrong.. I hope he comes to camp, wins the backup position, and even does so well that it becomes a tandem with Kipper this season). He just hasn't showed that he is anywhere near NHL ready this season so far, and he was barely AHL ready.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #39
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Deduce what you want from this, but here's who I'm not seeing in the warmups: Breen, Street, Bouma, Byron, Horak, Eddy, Aliu, Brodie, McCarthy, Irving.

Who is in the lineup is: Wahl, Howse, Maczak, Estoclet, Mackenzie.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #40
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Deduce what you want from this, but here's who I'm not seeing in the warmups: Breen, Street, Bouma, Byron, Horak, Eddy, Aliu, Brodie, McCarthy, Irving.

Who is in the lineup is: Wahl, Howse, Maczak, Estoclet, Mackenzie.
Sounds about right..

But why not let them play tonight and fly in tomorrow morning?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ahl , gdt , heat , sportsnet , wolves