Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
Fiyaa
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Wrong PC Partition

Hey all. So I made a post earlier regarding building my own PC, and I did just that. Now, after downloading ALL my drivers, games and what not I decided to put the Mac OS on finally. I partitioned my main hard drive to give room for the OS.

Now, I have a problem... When I restart my computer, the PC boots into the EMPTY partition of the hard drive and I can't seem to get back into Windows. It will boot and say "Missing Operating System".

I know that my OS is still there because in the Mac Install Disk Utility it shows that 60 Gigs of my SDD is still full.

Is there any way to change the location of the boot partition on my main hard drive? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Fiyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

What did you use to create the partition? There used to be programs like partition magic that would partition a drive without losing any of the data, haven't used a program like that is years.

Just guessing here but if you put the windows disk in and run the setup program there is an option to repair a installation. I've never used that option but it might repair the bootloader?

Edit: Seems Windows 7 has a built in partition resizer, didn't know that.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/
Is that what you used?
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
Fiyaa
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
What did you use to create the partition? There used to be programs like partition magic that would partition a drive without losing any of the data, haven't used a program like that is years.

Just guessing here but if you put the windows disk in and run the setup program there is an option to repair a installation. I've never used that option but it might repair the bootloader?

Edit: Seems Windows 7 has a built in partition resizer, didn't know that.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/
Is that what you used?
I partitioned it with the built in partition resizer in Windows 7. Until I erased and formatted the partition in the Mac installer disk utility, I wasn't having any problems. I've checked my bios, I can't get into the partition... I've also tried the Windows Disk repair and got nada.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you are in the windows disk repair mode you should be able to get a command prompt. You can try using fixmbr or fixboot. There are also some 3rd party utilities that claim to be able to fix the problem. Try googling "access damaged partition" or "fix partition table" for a bunch of ideas.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
Fiyaa
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Nvm. I fixed the problem. All I had to do was "reinstall" windows and choose a drive directory. From there I was able to delete the empty partition, allowing windows to boot from the original one. Thank you though Jacks for taking the time to help me out!