Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:
Default For those who have played OOTP or Eastside Hockey Manager

The developers of the fastastic game Out of the Park Baseball have decided that they will release a similar hockey game. The project is yet unnamed. For more info: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...l-discussions/

For those that have not played OOTP or EHM, they are text sims. The fun is in being the GM and they make the franchise modes MLB The Show, NHL or Madden look like Pong.

I play OOTP daily, and to put it simply, if a GM in the MLB can do it, you can. The game has Rule 5, draft pick compensation, full minors right down to rookie ball, scouting etc.

The best part about OOTP is that it is fully customizable, so if you get sick of playing with real players, you can play fictional, or put all your friends in. Make a Canadian (or Ghana) league with it's real world database. You can load jersey's, pictures, logo's, park effects etc. You can make it so it plays like softball where every game is a homerfest, or you can play it so pitchers are dominant and most every game ends 1-0. It's up to you.

You can also play all the way back to the start of the MLB, with real players and have the events unfold as they did in real lfe, with players being drafted to the teams they were supposed to be, or just start your own alternate history.

I write all of this about OOTP because "The Hockey Project" (as it's being called now) is going to be mostly based off of OOTP. So you can start in 2012, or take over as the GM of the 85-86 Flames and see if you can build them into the dynasty that they should have become.

They are aiming for a fall/winter 2012 release.

Last edited by zukes; 10-19-2011 at 07:11 AM.
zukes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zukes For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I haven't played a ton of OOTP, but I love Football Manager which is the same concept. I suspect it will take some time for this new game to reach the depth that OOTP has, but hopefully they can make a good start with this version.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've played Football Manager since the 96 version. I've played OOTP since it's first series in numerous online leagues. I approve of this news!
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I downloaded OOTP 11 on the ITouch to try that version, never really got in to the game. Loved Eastside Hockey Manager and still use EHM 2007 with Lidas roster database.

And yes Football Manager 12 is amazing, I wouldn't be surprised if that franchise has lead to the majority of divorces in Europe.
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This would be amazing on iPad. WTB!
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny61 View Post
I downloaded OOTP 11 on the ITouch to try that version, never really got in to the game. Loved Eastside Hockey Manager and still use EHM 2007 with Lidas roster database.

And yes Football Manager 12 is amazing, I wouldn't be surprised if that franchise has lead to the majority of divorces in Europe.
The iPhone game is nowhere near the game that the full version is.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
This would be amazing on iPad. WTB!
An Eastside Hockey Manager game on the iPad or a mobile version would be amazing.

When is this game coming out? I need to finish things in life before I become a zombie.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Would love this - played OOTP and EHM. Both were great. One problem with EHM is that the drafting was fairly poor - basically unless you got a top 10 pick, you are more than likely not even to get a decent player. Most of the players had trouble actually developing as well, so what you saw was what you got.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:57 PM   #9
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it is an updated and enhanced version of EHM 07, then they have a guaranteed customer right here.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamer View Post
if it is an updated and enhanced version of ehm 07, then they have a guaranteed customer right here.
+1
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:04 AM   #11
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Would love this - played OOTP and EHM. Both were great. One problem with EHM is that the drafting was fairly poor - basically unless you got a top 10 pick, you are more than likely not even to get a decent player. Most of the players had trouble actually developing as well, so what you saw was what you got.
OOTP has the draft perfectly, IMO. You can have guys drafted in the 30th round become studs and first rounders are busts. The draft is a crapshoot, except for the few obvious studs.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:05 AM   #12
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
If it is an updated and enhanced version of EHM 07, then they have a guaranteed customer right here.
My guess is it will be better, from what has been said thus far, it will be similar in layout and play to OOTP.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
Crazy Bacon Legs
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am very, very excited about this.

I still play EHM 2007 regularly. It is just such a deep, nuanced game in comparison to any other sim out there. This is one of the reasons that the EA NHL series pathetic attempts at a GM mode bore me to tears.

I am not a baseball fan, but from what I know of the OOTP series, they do a great job at making a very deep game. I will be rather excited and buying this for sure if it's even a fraction as good as the baseball games.

Huzza!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pretty fantastic. I played both EHM's as well as the original for many many hours...haven't in a long time but will definitely revisit and support this once it is available.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bumping this long dead thread for the latest update. The new hockey game from the makers of OOTP is now called Franchise Hockey Manager and is due out "late December/early January" so probably before the NHL season actually starts.

Announcement
Dev Diary on historical play

Twitter = @FranchiseHockey
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I still perfer EHM v1.16 old school.
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #17
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I will buy this.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #18
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Appreciate the heads up on this... I love any sport sims. Been playing since ChampMan series as well, the old WoHoMan hockey game was the first one I can remember for the NHL and it was really too bad when EHM went under, just as they were starting to refine the product and AI a little.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote