Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ongoing Home Appliances Thread?

Did we not have one of these already? Can't find it....

Regardless, hoping someone can suggest a good manufacturer for an over the range microwave. We purchased a Samsung model from Sears on the recommendation of one of the sales reps.

Less than a year in and it completely loses power. Repair tech has been by twice to try to fix but keeps breaking down. He tells me that he is going to try go get it replaced but fully expect to be back in the same boat with the new one before long.

I know they don't make appliances like they used to but I've had nothing but issues with Samsung appliances and would like to try another brand.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:08 PM   #2
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I've got a Whirlpool set in my kitchen that I love. I am not sure on the exact model numbers, I would have to look that up, but I was impressed enough to buy their washer/dryer over the Samsung comparable.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

My LG OTR Microwave is still working great after almost a decade.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:34 PM   #4
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I know they don't make appliances like they used to but I've had nothing but issues with Samsung appliances and would like to try another brand.
Samsung makes great TVs and Washer/Dryers. However, their recent microwaves are beyond messed up. My family went through 3. One died and stopped heating up, one kept turning on by itself (we joked it was a funny ghost story, but after a while, the fear of it burning down the house while we were out was less funny so we replaced it) and the current one is working fine, but the door release is messed up, however we can live with a funky door over the previous 2 problems.

Honestly, I've never heard of anyone frustrated with their microwave, except for a few people frustrated with Samsung microwaves. My coworker's Samsung microwave also didn't heat up after a bit. Maybe we're all just lucky to get weird Samsung ones. Don't have a suggestion, pretty much all microwaves just work (Minus the lemons we have).
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:19 PM   #5
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post

Honestly, I've never heard of anyone frustrated with their microwave, except for a few people frustrated with Samsung microwaves
It is quite surprising to have issues with a MW of all things, it such a basic appliance that's been around forever. Just thankful we didn't get rid of our old one or we wouldn't have one at all. I didn't really think about how much we used it until this one broke down.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks as though our 15+ yr old dryer is finally giving up the ghost and I'm looking at replacement options.

1) What dryer do you have and would you recommend?
2) I see this steam feature on a number of models. Does it have a reservoir you have to fill up or does it connect to your water supply. How handy is this feature?

Other than a humidity sensory, what else is handy to have?
Old 12-06-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Edit- just saw that I was replying to a year old post.

Panasonic has always been "the" brand for microwaves. Looking online their OTR models are a lot more expensive; but may be worth it if they work well.

We went built-in and love our Panasonic microwave for function; as I did for my previous one that was sold with my old house. The only issue I have with my new one is it has a touch dial do set the time, and the touch does not work well if your fingers are at all wet.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #8
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Looks as though our 15+ yr old dryer is finally giving up the ghost and I'm looking at replacement options.

1) What dryer do you have and would you recommend?
2) I see this steam feature on a number of models. Does it have a reservoir you have to fill up or does it connect to your water supply. How handy is this feature?

Other than a humidity sensory, what else is handy to have?
The steam thing hooks up to your water. I went with Samsung for a new washer and dryer a couple of months ago based on very minimal research. Our dryer has the steam thing. Used it a couple of times so far. I don't think it's mandatory if you're trying to stick to a budget. You won't care if you don't have it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #9
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was hesitant with Samsung based on my microwave issue but it seems they are rated pretty well for washers and dryers.

Figured the steam feature would be handy for clothes to get wrinkles out. All of my shirts are "iron free" but for some it's a lie. Certainly not required but might be nice. I just want humidity sensory, big drum, reliably and energy efficient. No really on a budget per say but don't want to go nuts either.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #10
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I hear you. Well, two months in and we're happy with the purchase in that I never even think of them, which is basically what you want in a washer and dryer.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:32 PM   #11
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where did you buy?
Old 12-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #12
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I was hesitant with Samsung based on my microwave issue but it seems they are rated pretty well for washers and dryers.

Figured the steam feature would be handy for clothes to get wrinkles out. All of my shirts are "iron free" but for some it's a lie. Certainly not required but might be nice. I just want humidity sensory, big drum, reliably and energy efficient. No really on a budget per say but don't want to go nuts either.
I use the steam function on our Samsung dryer often. After a regular dry cycle, I will toss in a few shirts to steam out the wrinkles for 10 minutes, and it works wonders.
Bought ours at Coast about 4 years ago.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffporfirio For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2016, 06:16 AM   #13
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah I bought at Coast as well.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:54 AM   #14
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for all the advice in this thread. Wound up buying a Samsung from Costco. They had it on for about the same price as everyone else but their price included delivery. 2 year warranty to boot.