Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Anyone Know A Company That Can Build A Custom Database?

A friend of mine has a small company and he needs a basic database built so that he can keep track of customers (when did they last call, what did they order, etc).

Similar to what you'd find at maybe a pizza place or a dentists office. Simple customer information that can easily be accessed.

Anyone know a place in town that will come and set that up at his company, maybe modify a few parameters for him, and show him and his company how to use it?

I've been to a few computer stores and they haven't been much help.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Data Control Management Solutions Ltd.

I used to work for them under a different company in Lethbridge. Two owners of the old company brought on a 3rd partner for a while but he left for another venture. Later on he started DCMS and then merged with the old company where I worked.

I don't know much about the people who work for them, but anybody who can draw on Stephen's knowledge and experience is set. That guy is a freakin' genius.

Not sure about their setup but I know they have an address for Calgary.

Looking at their site, I built or updated and maintained most of those sites on their web portfolio. Some aren't in existence anymore.

At any rate, if they aren't for you they may be able to point you to a place in Calgary.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
A friend of mine has a small company and he needs a basic database built so that he can keep track of customers (when did they last call, what did they order, etc).

Similar to what you'd find at maybe a pizza place or a dentists office. Simple customer information that can easily be accessed.

Anyone know a place in town that will come and set that up at his company, maybe modify a few parameters for him, and show him and his company how to use it?

How big of a database are we talking about? I have some mad Access skills kicking around. If we're talking about just something basic that doesn't need any kind of shared access or collaboration, etc. I can knock that off for him. Just something he can open up and type some data into some forms and close up again.

Hell, I can even throw in some Crystal Reports with a customized report viewer so he can do something useful with his data.

(I've done this kind of stuff for other companies. Some I've worked for, others I've contracted privately.)

Last edited by FanIn80; 07-27-2010 at 09:11 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
How big of a database are we talking about? I have some mad Access skills kicking around. If we're talking about just something basic that doesn't need any kind of shared access or collaboration, etc. I can knock that off for him. Just something he can open up and type some data into some forms and close up again.

Hell, I can even throw in some Crystal Reports with a customized report viewer so he can do something useful with his data.

(I've done this kind of stuff for other companies. Some I've worked for, others I've contracted privately.)
Access? *shudder*
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Access? *shudder*
Sometimes a small company doesn't really need a super-expensive custom application running on top of a MySQL instance that they'll need to pay a DB guy to support afterward. Sometimes, just a simple Office database is enough. This is the kind of thing Access was designed for.

(I have no idea if this is one of those times or not, but I suspect it is. If we're talking about a family pizza restaurant that just wants to keep track of what people order, for instance.)

Last edited by FanIn80; 07-27-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

http://www.maximizer.com/
http://www.frontrange.com/goldmine.aspx
http://www.act.com/

There's likely some existing software out there to do what's needed, CRM is a huge industry... will probably be far cheaper than having someone basically create some custom software, even if they are using Access and VB.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

What about an online solution like Salesforce?
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
What about an online solution like Salesforce?
Bleh. Too big.

37Signals makes the kind of cloud solutions that are probably needed here, and are well worth looking into.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:21 AM   #9
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
http://www.maximizer.com/
http://www.frontrange.com/goldmine.aspx
http://www.act.com/

There's likely some existing software out there to do what's needed, CRM is a huge industry... will probably be far cheaper than having someone basically create some custom software, even if they are using Access and VB.
I got to dabble in Act a few years ago, and it seemed pretty good.

@FanIn80 - I don't disagree with you, but I still shudder at the thought of Access.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I can build a custom database in Filemaker, but I'm sure that you could find a premade solution for a lot cheaper than I'd have to charge you to do it.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #11
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I got to dabble in Act a few years ago, and it seemed pretty good.

@FanIn80 - I don't disagree with you, but I still shudder at the thought of Access.
Oh I know the feeling, for sure.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #12
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. He seems to be looking for a contractor-type to come in, set it up and then show them how to use it.

If that sounds like something you'd be interested in, PM me your contact info and I'd be happy to throw a little business CPuck's way.

Thanks!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
ShaolinFlame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post

SAP. Ernie Els and The San Jose Sharks told me so...

Flames-Flyers-Stamps-Jays
ShaolinFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #14
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

+1 for ACT

I went through quiet a few different trials for software for something similar and ACT was the only one that could be customized that even an idiot (myself) could do it.

Tell him not to waste his money paying someone to set it up and just play around with a few trials. He could save himself in the long run and worst case it gives him ideas for what he needs/wants when he does get someone to build it.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #15
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Depends on how much time he wants/has to invest I guess, lots of business people pay IT people to do their IT stuff because they make a lot more $$ spending that time doing their actual business stuff.

And having someone who knows the ins and outs of some software and understands how you want to use it in your own situation can really help.

Contact Act's sales department they'll probably have references to local companies that could help with that, I don't know anyone myself that could/would do that.