Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2016, 06:38 PM   #1
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Two Calgary men sexually harassed by 911 female colleagues

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/exc...ment-1.2876114

One has been promoted and the other still works there while the two men have left due to the stress.

Pretty sickening this didn't seem to be treated with any seriousness.

The City of Calgary says it stands by its internal processes and when asked why senior roles or promotions wouldn’t be affected by the allegations, the city responded by saying, "career advancement doesn't cease to exist after one situation."
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:42 PM   #2
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand how anyone in this day and age could act like that. Even if you want to, you know you're going to get busted one way or another. Especially at a place like the city.

If this is true, they should be fired. There does seem to be a romantic tryst in the background. It could be a spurned lover with an axe to grind though, you never know.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't help but laugh. Welcome to the entire history of being a woman in the workplace.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Sexual harassment (on both sexes) is rampant in oil and gas parties too. Stampede and free drinks brings out the best of people...
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:49 PM   #5
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
I can't help but laugh. Welcome to the entire history of being a woman in the workplace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Sexual harassment (on both sexes) is rampant in oil and gas parties too. Stampede and free drinks brings out the best of people...
Oh, well then. I guess this is all ok then.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:57 PM   #6
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Because that's what both those messages stated.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:18 PM   #7
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Because that's what both those messages stated.
Perhaps not but you expressed that you found the situation funny.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:33 PM   #8
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
I'm certainly not ok with it, just expressing that it's not uncommon in this city.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:41 PM   #9
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Perhaps not but you expressed that you found the situation funny.
I didn't think it would take much to infer my statement wasn't alluding to a humorous funny but a situational funny. It feels so ridiculous that there's an actual news story about men being sexually harassed by a female superior when that is the every day living reality for a great deal, hell I'm even going to say majority, of women in the work place.

So when I hear things like this article, it's almost enough to throw your hands up and laugh as this is the reality of most women every single day.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:46 PM   #10
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't think it would take much to infer my statement wasn't alluding to a humorous funny but a situational funny. It feels so ridiculous that there's an actual news story about men being sexually harassed by a female superior when that is the every day living reality for a great deal, hell I'm even going to say majority, of women in the work place.

So when I hear things like this article, it's almost enough to throw your hands up and laugh as this is the reality of most women every single day.
Perhaps I'm naiive but I'd like to think that this level of harrassment is becoming more unusual. I agree it happens - but I wouldn't say it happens to the majority of women in the workplace everday.
More to the point - the story is an important one because it illustrates that men CAN be victims of sexual harassment. And a lot of it probably isn't reported.

So I still don't get your point.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #11
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

That's a lot of hyperbole. Most women aren't sexually harassed every single day.

Either way that's irrelevant to this story as it happened at a 911 call Center and the two men filed a complaint and nothing was done about it.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2016, 09:56 PM   #12
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Perhaps I'm naiive but I'd like to think that this level of harrassment is becoming more unusual. I agree it happens - but I wouldn't say it happens to the majority of women in the workplace everday.
More to the point - the story is an important one because it illustrates that men CAN be victims of sexual harassment. And a lot of it probably isn't reported.

So I still don't get your point.
My point is that there's a news story about a minuscule statistic (men being sexually harassed by women in the work place) when there was a study last year finding 1 in 3 of women report sexual harassment in the work place.

I find it ridiculous that we're willing to take out the TV cameras and the reporters for this, when the world of sexual harassment of women in the work place (and maybe even that same work space) is a real problem happening every day, unlike this issue.

That's my point.

Last edited by Cole436; 04-26-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Cole436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:59 PM   #13
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
My point is that there's a news story about a minuscule statistic (men being sexually harassed by women in the work place) when there was a study last year finding 1 in 3 of women report sexual harassment in the work place.

I find it ridiculous that we're willing to take out the TV cameras and the reporters for this, when the world of sexual harassment of women in the work place (and maybe even that same work space) is hushed away.

That's my point.
It's a story largely because it happened at the city and there is some belief it wasn't managed well.
Do you think the media should cover every sexual harassment story?
Old 04-26-2016, 10:09 PM   #14
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's a story largely because it happened at the city and there is some belief it wasn't managed well.
Do you think the media should cover every sexual harassment story?
I think we're looking at much larger, systemic issue here. Do I understand why it's being reported? Absolutely, it was a city matter and that laundry will always be aired in the public eye. Do I think it would have made it to press if it were two women and a male supervisor? The sociologist in me is pretty pessimistic about that. I think half the reason it's even a story is because it's men being harassed against, and that feels "wrong" to us.

And to answer your question, it would be impossible to report all sexual harassment stories. Would I like them to? Sure. Is it realistic? No, not at all. I just find it funny that out of the very few sexual harassment stories that hit print, we're hearing about one of a male victim and female harasser, when it couldn't be further from the truth of the actual story around sexual harassment.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:12 PM   #15
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I find it ridiculous that we're willing to take out the TV cameras and the reporters for this, when the world of sexual harassment of women in the work place (and maybe even that same work space) is a real problem happening every day, unlike this issue.

That's my point.
Your reaction, that it's not worth reporting, is the very reason it should be reported - the victims feel marginalized, and the perpetrators immune, because you never hear about these stories or the effects on both parties (if there are any for the perpetrators) that flow from the event.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2016, 10:14 PM   #16
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
I think we're looking at much larger, systemic issue here. Do I understand why it's being reported? Absolutely, it was a city matter and that laundry will always be aired in the public eye. Do I think it would have made it to press if it were two women and a male supervisor? The sociologist in me is pretty pessimistic about that. I think half the reason it's even a story is because it's men being harassed against, and that feels "wrong" to us.

And to answer your question, it would be impossible to report all sexual harassment stories. Would I like them to? Sure. Is it realistic? No, not at all. I just find it funny that out of the very few sexual harassment stories that hit print, we're hearing about one of a male victim and female harasser, when it couldn't be further from the truth of the actual story around sexual harassment.

Female sexual harassment stories are constantly in the news. Constantly. West jet quite recently is one I recall.

Your stance on this is beyond bizarre it is concerning and discriminatory. The media bringing to light gross negligence by the city's sexual harassment policy does nothing to take away from sexual harassment of women in the workplace. In fact it probably also helps the cause for women as it brings about general awareness.

And to play the same game as you are, if this thread was about women and someone came in laughing it off saying who gives a #### it happens all the time, they would get slaughtered. And rightfully so. It is disgusting to dismiss these troubling claims. Man or woman.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2016, 10:15 PM   #17
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Your reaction, that it's not worth reporting, is the very reason it should be reported - the victims feel marginalized, and the perpetrators immune, because you never hear about these stories or the effects on both parties (if there are any for the perpetrators) that flow from the event.
It's not that it's not worth reporting, it just highlights the difference between men and women's experience in the world. This one just highlighting sexual harassment in the work place.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:15 PM   #18
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

That's my point.
So basically you're saying it's no big deal because women are harassed every day.

You've already denied that this is your point, but there's really no other way to read your series of posts in this thread.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:23 PM   #19
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Female sexual harassment stories are constantly in the news. Constantly. West jet quite recently is one I recall.

Your stance on this is beyond bizarre it is concerning and discriminatory. The media bringing to light gross negligence by the city's sexual harassment policy does nothing to take away from sexual harassment of women in the workplace. In fact it probably also helps the cause for women as it brings about general awareness.

And to play the same game as you are, if this thread was about women and someone came in laughing it off saying who gives a #### it happens all the time, they would get slaughtered. And rightfully so. It is disgusting to dismiss these troubling claims. Man or woman.
No one's laughing and saying it shouldn't be reported.

What I'm stating is that if 1 in 3 women are sexually harassed in the work place, we should be seeing a hell of a lot more media attention around the issue. And we don't. We may see some attention brought up, like your example, but a lot of it is swept under the rug. The way this issue is reported on is the equivalent of putting a band aid on a someone hit with a grenade.

If you want to go with the narrative that I don't think this is important, or that men don't get sexually harassed, then you'd be incorrect.

I'm stating there is a huge issue around sexual harassment in the work place, and it's a systemic issue and this case (while valid and real) is not statistically relevant to the actual problem. Which doesn't take away any validity from these two mens experience.

I find it ridiculous what the media chooses to report on. That's all.

Last edited by Cole436; 04-26-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Cole436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:27 PM   #20
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:

So you don't think that if two women suffered this level of harassment at the 911 centre, and went to the media, that they wouldn't cover it? Really?
Of course they would.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post: