Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
FlamingInfinity
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Looking into buying a Blackberry...

Hey guys,

I've been having a few problems with my LG Dare on Telus and managed to get a deal from the dealer. I get $250 off of a new Blackberry as well as 3 free months of my Blackberry bills.

I'm leaning toward the 8330, as the girlfriend has it and it seems to work well and give her all she needs. I'm more of a web browsing guy along with my phone, and enjoy making schedules and laying things our for myself. Just looking to make the next step into the Smartphone territory.

I've heard good things about the 9700 on here in another thread, but my Dare's so unreliable for receiving texts and getting consistant browsing without restarting that I don't know if I want to wait about 3 months to get the 9700 or the 8330 this week. They appear to have the same capabilities, just that the 9700 has a little bit more expandable memory, as well as picture messaging built in, and a longer call and standby times.

Wondering if I could get some feedback if you have one or the other, and if there's anything I should look out for once I do get one.

Also, does the 8330 have any expandable memory capabilities at all?

Thanks guys.
Giordano: He plays for the oilers, enough said.
FlamingInfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:34 AM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have time to look it up, but make sure that if you have access to wifi that you get a phone that supports it. My mom has a flip pearl that doesn't and it can get slow at times when she is at home due to not having good 3G coverage there.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:43 AM   #3
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, wifi is a must for me now. It comes in real handy especially if you're traveling and don't want insane roaming costs. Blackberry Messenger functions using wifi, so that makes texting so simple. I love my Bold but sometimes that iPhone looks pretty damn sexy.

Last edited by Deelow; 01-13-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Deelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an 8330 with Telus and if I was offered the choice again...I would not choose a Blackberry.

I have constant reboots for no reason and general unreliable performance everyday. If it worked like it was supposed to and didn't crap out all the time then sure, it would be a good device. But I still think it lacks the "complete package" functionality that something like an iPhone does. It still feels like you have to half ass everything to use it on your BB.

I also base my lack of faith in BBs in several other close family reviews with similar results. (Not just 8330s either)
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, the Telus 8330 has no wifi and is too slow for my taste as well.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

The 8330 is a great little phone imo. My wife uses one for work, and doesn't want anything else.

If web browsing is important to you, stay away from a Blackberry...they are simply not the best for that. In fact, I can honestly say it sucks. I had the 8330, and have made the switch to the iPhone (both on Telus). Pretty much any smartphone out there that isn't a Blackberry will have a better web browsing experience.

Also, the 8330 doesn't support wifi.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #7
Gobsgraham
Scoring Winger

Exp:

iPhone is superior for internet browsing and cool apps.
BB is superior for email and anything you need to type with.

Base your decision on the service you want the most. I spend a few hours a day emailing so BB is a no brainer for me. My wife was an iPhone and if she is around I will use hers for anything internet. My contract is up soon and I would love to get an iPhone also but it just doesn't make sense for me due to my email usage.
Gobsgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gobsgraham For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

i have an 8310, and though it works great for me, i have had to do some workarounds to really get it to do everything i want. i can't speak on most things as i am american and have totally different providers and such, but as mentioned, web browsing is one of the weaknesses. i use opera mini which isn't as brutal as the BB browser, but its still a pain at times. additionally my phone doesn't have wifi so i get the slower speeds most of the time. i have 6 months until my contract is up, then i get to start finding a new phone too!

while i have been generally happy with blackberry, i am not sure my next purchase will be with them.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #9
FlamingInfinity
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I should add, this phone is just for another 2 years until my contract ends. It sounds like not everyone is supportive of the Blackberry. The iPhone offer I received was 300 off, but I'd be paying a lot more because iirc, its around $700 without a new contract.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

IPhone is not your only option though. Right now Telus has the HTC Hero, which is an Android-based phone, it doesn't have a physical keyboard though. Within the next month or so, Telus is also expected to begin offering the Motorola Milestone, which is another Android-based phone, this time with a physical keyboard.

Don't think you are limited to just BB or the iPhone...
The Following User Says Thank You to GrrlGoalie33 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had the 8330 and really liked it. Now I have the Tour 9630 which is similar to the 8330 just amped up. The keyboard is easier and faster to type on. The camera is 3.2mp, and it has more memory than the Curve. I had issues initially with the trackball but that has been taken care of. There is a new Tour on the horizon that uses the trackpad instead of the trackball, I think that would be a good way to go.

Wifi for me is not an issue. We have excellent 3G coverage here in Alberta so I don't care about wifi. The BB browser stinks, so I downloaded Opera Mini for free. It works for what I need it for. BB Messenger is real handy. I don't think I would even consider an iPhone until they come out with something similar.

As for the problems the one poster was having. You can download Quickpull for free. It simulates a battery pull and you can schedule it to do so when your sleeping. I seldom have to reboot my BB.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #12
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate to say this, but have you looked at the iPhone. Browsing on it doesnt even compare to the Bb in quality.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #13
FlamingInfinity
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks again guys. I'm in Vancouver (ick) so I don't have to worry about wifi so much. I don't have it now and browsing is fine. I've thought about the iPhone but its too expensive at this point. The deal that I was offered was 300 off, which I think I could turn into 350. I'm just looking to get the phone early next week with about 200-225 to spend.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Based on your timelines, take a serious look at the HTC Hero. I work with a bunch of folks who use the Android OS and absolutely love it.

One of the guys is a former BB and iPhone user, another is a forner BB user (both are executive-level within the company) and the gal has it as her first smartphone.

Market support for Android phones now is very good.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #15
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't forget too, the iPhone sucks up way more data than a BB. Equals higher bills.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #16
anyonebutedmonton
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Please do not compare the 8330 to the 9700...

They are not even close to being comparable. If you can get a hold of the 9700 do it. Its a great little machine that I can honestly say is the first blackberry to have everything I have wanted.

The iPhone is unreal for apps and stuff but for email and typing a blackberry is better in my opinion.
anyonebutedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anyonebutedmonton For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #17
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyonebutedmonton View Post
Please do not compare the 8330 to the 9700...

They are not even close to being comparable. If you can get a hold of the 9700 do it. Its a great little machine that I can honestly say is the first blackberry to have everything I have wanted.

The iPhone is unreal for apps and stuff but for email and typing a blackberry is better in my opinion.

Maybe I'm confused, but isn't the 8330 offered by Telus with the 9700 being offered by Rogers? If he is considering the 8330 he must be a Telus customer.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #18
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Maybe I'm confused, but isn't the 8330 offered by Telus with the 9700 being offered by Rogers? If he is considering the 8330 he must be a Telus customer.
With the new Telus network, you can get the 9700. The 8330 is on the old Telus network.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #19
FlamingInfinity
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
You're correct, I am a customer. I had the chance to go with someone else last December, and nothing seemed to pop out at me, especially with Rogers having seemingly ty customer service. We'll see in another 2 years.

From the looks of it I think the 8330 will be the phone I buy on Monday. I would like the iPhone, but the price point as well as the amount of cash I would blow on it is a bit high. And I heard something about the 4G coming out in the summer??
Old 01-14-2010, 11:28 PM   #20
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought my 9700 through Wind Mobile on a pay as you go contract. So far, so good.
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blackberry , lgdarelicksballs , telus