Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-16-2005, 07:44 PM   #21
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

If it reeally is KK, I'd like to say 2 things:

1) Thank you for not caving. Fans want a deal to make sure the Flames stay in Calgary - for good. Not just a deal for the sake of making a deal.

2) Thank you for bringing in Darryl Sutter!!!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:45 PM   #22
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Ken have you talked to any players today (without naming names), and if so how do they feel about this?
Old 02-16-2005, 07:45 PM   #23
kinger
Draft Pick

season ticket situation is very good. less than 600 refund requests and most, nearly all of them left 10% deposit to keep the rights. KK
Old 02-16-2005, 07:46 PM   #24
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by kinger@Feb 16 2005, 07:45 PM
season ticket situation is very good. less than 600 refund requests and most, nearly all of them left 10% deposit to keep the rights. KK
I am one of those. I will be back

Old 02-16-2005, 07:47 PM   #25
kinger
Draft Pick

players mostly talk to Darryl and are dazed an confused like us. some say they know all and are making informed decision and others say not. KK
Old 02-16-2005, 07:47 PM   #26
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If next season is cancelled as well what happens to players that are already without a contract? Would they be unrestricted free agents afterward and would that mean that Iggy was unlikely to return to Calgary?

What was the tone from players after you showed them your books and they knew that you couldn't survive with the current system? Do they care at all or are they really convinced that you are lying? Or do they believe their system would work for you?
Old 02-16-2005, 07:47 PM   #27
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just want to say keep up the good fight; you and the owners have my full support; please crush the union; don't compromise with them on anything anymore. They had their chance and they blew it, now it's time for you big boys to show the children how the game of business is really played.

And welcome to the board!!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:48 PM   #28
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ken, to date the effect the 24% rollback would have on restricted and unrestricted free agents hasn't really been discussed in the media. How would have the rollback effected contract talks with Jarome for example?

A lot of us here have thought the 24% offer was not quite as significant as the PA made it out to be because of the large number of FAs this year.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:49 PM   #29
calgARI
Not Jim Playfair

Exp:

Ken King has emailed me before and always finishes with "KK"

CALGARY
Stanley Cup Champions: 1989
Old 02-16-2005, 07:49 PM   #30
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

Questions, all media related as that is your background.... :

Does Dowbiggen get on your nerves too?

The fact he has received gifts from Goodenow for his pro-union stance and still has access to the NHL surprises me, is there anything you can do to prevent that? Thoughts?

The media in general seems scared to criticize the NHLPA lest they lose their contacts; has their been any pressure from the NHL for media to have more non-hockey dependent writers give their (persumably less biased) input?
Old 02-16-2005, 07:49 PM   #31
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

hmmmm...just on the off chance that this is for real...

i stick by my punch strachan comment.

seriously, my feeling is that this is a situation that had to come. i am so happy that the nhl called the nhlpa's bulff. no more gunship diplomacy. as a diehard lifelong flames fan, it breaks my heart because we are close. very very close. however, this isn't about this year or next season, and i think most fans get this.

One thing i heard Pat Laforge say was that the Oilers, over the life of the last CBA, paid approximately 75% of revenues to their players. in the last year however, it was $1.48 for every dollar of revenue. i knew it was bad...but not that bad. that is horrific.

are you able to share similar number for the flames?

thank you.

ps i also stand by my doh!biggen comments.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:49 PM   #32
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hello Mr.King. I really think that it is great that you have taken your time to answer questions on this board.

I just want to give my assurances that I stand by the league and the owners for what transpired today and what lays ahead in the up and coming months. As an employee of the Calgary Flames and having the best part-time job I have ever had, I realize yes by not working at the dome this year or limited amounts due to the lockout, I want to comeback when the league is healthier and it is better for fans to be able to come out and afford tickets. With the current situation, it is hard for say a family of four to afford tickets, merchandize, food, etc..

But thanks for your time and can't wait till hockey gets back on its feet.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:49 PM   #33
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ken, have any players taken the team up on its offer to look at the Flames books? If so which players, and did they have any comments?
Old 02-16-2005, 07:49 PM   #34
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Welcome Ken!

How is Lombardi doing?
What is his feeling about when we will see an end to the lockout?
What is the reaction amoung Flames staff and players?

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:50 PM   #35
kinger
Draft Pick

I'm pretty bad at keeping up to you guys so sorry in advance. Had a good chat with Darryl before leaving the office today and he is awesome. Told one of our owners that with him at your side in a press conference you are bullet proof. KK
Old 02-16-2005, 07:50 PM   #36
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kinger, Has any Flame player ever suggested/hinted to you that they would indeed accept what the owners wanted just to get out and play hockey again?
Old 02-16-2005, 07:50 PM   #37
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Mr. King,

While I don't really have a question about the cancelation of the season I did want to say thankyou.

Last spring you were kind enough to reserve me two tickets for game 6, and I flew out from Sydney NS to take in the last Flames home game (along with my cousin).

I can't tell you how much that meant to me, the ticket is litterally framed on my wall hanging above my bed, and on the wall at the foot of my bed is the Western Conference Champions flag that I got at the 'Dome that night.

What you, and your assitant did for me was something I'll never forget. I just wanted to say thanks again since you're here and in person.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 02-16-2005, 07:51 PM   #38
kinger
Draft Pick

several players have said they would play under our system or any system that was reasonable. That's the frustrating part. They are ready to go. KK
Old 02-16-2005, 07:53 PM   #39
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mr. King, I'm curious to find out if the last proposal made by the NHL with a $42.5mil cap would have actually worked for the Calgary Flames?
I remember in December that you said you had discussed the 24% rollback offer with Darryl and you both agreed it wouldn't work. Have you had a chance to do the same with what the NHL was offering?
The reason I ask is because we all know Calgary's budget is set lower than that (one or two marquee players less) and that could be perceived as still being a disadvantage to our team without significant revenue sharing.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:53 PM   #40
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey Ken,

Thanks for coming on...I think it's really great you're taking some time to come talk to us here, and I'm sorry I missed your statement earlier.

Do you anticipate ticket prices lowering when the season starts? Or will you need to keep them up and hope for continued huge support to make up for this season's loss? I'm going to university right now and, thus, have little to no money to spend on tickets, so prices are kind of a big issue for me.
Closed Thread