Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2016, 06:30 PM   #9621
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I'm happy that the jays made the wildcard and everything but I'm not only one that doesn't consider making the wildcard making the playoffs right? I mean major league baseball can say that it means you made the playoffs but I think it's just a one game play-in to make the real playoffs.

If the Jays lost, God forbid, there's no way that if I was talking to someone next year about the previous season I would say "hey at least they were a playoff team last year". No. They made the one game wild-card play in or tiebreaker or whatever you want to call it but I would not refer to it as "playoffs". I reserve using the term playoffs for the ALDS, the ALCS or the World Series.

Again ignoring what major league baseball calls it, I personally consider a one game tiebreak to get into the wild card as no different than the wildcard game itself, in terms of just being a tiebreaker and not "real" playoffs.
It's the postseason, you can argue all you want but by definition it is after the season. I'm sure that is why MLB goes with the term postseason rather than playoffs.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:36 PM   #9622
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really want the Jays to win just to see Jays-Rangers again. Payback for their cowardly acts from earlier in the year.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2016, 07:46 PM   #9623
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I'm happy that the jays made the wildcard and everything but I'm not only one that doesn't consider making the wildcard making the playoffs right? I mean major league baseball can say that it means you made the playoffs but I think it's just a one game play-in to make the real playoffs.

If the Jays lost, God forbid, there's no way that if I was talking to someone next year about the previous season I would say "hey at least they were a playoff team last year". No. They made the one game wild-card play in or tiebreaker or whatever you want to call it but I would not refer to it as "playoffs". I reserve using the term playoffs for the ALDS, the ALCS or the World Series.

Again ignoring what major league baseball calls it, I personally consider a one game tiebreak to get into the wild card as no different than the wildcard game itself, in terms of just being a tiebreaker and not "real" playoffs.
Oh yeah, it's definitely playoffs in name only. Of course they'll say by definition it is, but certainly you need to win that game and play in a series to really feel like you're in the playoffs.

You lose the wildcard play in and no one will be talking about making the playoffs this year, that's what really defines it, imo.

That said, I'm so excited we have the chance to play for the ALDS against the Rangers, that would be insane after last years playoffs and this years series against them.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #9624
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blue Jays struggles in September and ended up fighting for a wild card spot might be a blessing in disguise for them. At least they won't be too cocky in the playoff thinking they have to work their butt off in order to win. I am hoping the bats comes back and starting pitchers keeps on playing well. Bullpen too.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:03 PM   #9625
jayswin

Exp:

Also, on that note, why not make the Wildcard a mini series? What's the bad thing about a quick three day best of three?

If it was at least a best of three I think people outside of the "well it is by definition so you can't say it isn't" crowd would get into "we're in the playoffs" mode.

It would still be quick, scheduling wise and would bring in more revenue for the league, I don't understand why you wouldn't do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2016, 08:12 PM   #9626
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished on PVR. #### ya! We did it. Let's smash the O's then on to KO Odor.

Also, did they get those goggles from a mix n match bin at the dollar store?
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:07 PM   #9627
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Also, on that note, why not make the Wildcard a mini series? What's the bad thing about a quick three day best of three?

If it was at least a best of three I think people outside of the "well it is by definition so you can't say it isn't" crowd would get into "we're in the playoffs" mode.

It would still be quick, scheduling wise and would bring in more revenue for the league, I don't understand why you wouldn't do it.
No need to change the Wild Card playoff. A one game winner takes all is very exciting and you don't want the three division winners sitting around for too long.

They should make the divisional series seven games however.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:43 PM   #9628
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

So the Cubs have this going for them.

Quote:
Only three times in the past 25 postseasons has the team with sole possession of the best record in baseball won the World Series (2009 Yankees, 2007 Red Sox, 1998 Yankees). And to find the last time a National League team had the best record and won it all, you need to go back (gulp) 30 years -- to the '86 Mets. So there's that.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:46 PM   #9629
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Thats why i always say the 94 Expos are a myth because of the strike. They could have easily lost in the first round.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:53 PM   #9630
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Thats why i always say the 94 Expos are a myth because of the strike. They could have easily lost in the first round.
How are they myth? Weren't they just a really good team that got screwed out of likely playoff success because of the strike?
Old 10-02-2016, 11:00 PM   #9631
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
I really want the Jays to win just to see Jays-Rangers again. Payback for their cowardly acts from earlier in the year.
I think everyone wants that, even the Rangers and their fans.

Hard for us fans to not look past the wildcard game, but you hope the Jays aren't looking past the Orioles.

Bautista mentioned the Rangers already in his post game interview. You know he wants nothing more than to beat them. Hopefully it fuels him to have a big game on Tuesday as opposed to distracting him.

Good thing is that the Jays don't like the Orioles much either. Hopefully Showalter or O'day says something stupid to fire up the Jays so they can focus on the task at hand.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:06 PM   #9632
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Congrats to the Jays! Can't wait for the wildcard game.

Also I know this is an unpopular opinion but I hate the way baseball players celebrate playoffs.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:32 PM   #9633
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by albertGQ; 10-02-2016 at 11:34 PM.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:48 PM   #9634
zyzz
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post

Also I know this is an unpopular opinion but I hate the way baseball players celebrate playoffs.
Don't watch then
zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:04 AM   #9635
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

From reddit
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nixon45 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2016, 08:30 AM   #9636
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post

Winning the division i agree with but celebrating making the wildcard is lame.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #9637
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
How are they myth? Weren't they just a really good team that got screwed out of likely playoff success because of the strike?
Likely is the key word above. People in Montreal say they were robbed of a world series title.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #9638
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Winning the division i agree with but celebrating making the wildcard is lame.
no kidding...champagne and goggles for falling ass backwards into a one game playoff.

I like in hockey there is only ONE dressing room party a year
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:00 PM   #9639
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess being one of only 10 teams to participate in the MLB post season is a pretty decent accomplishment, but the champagne party does seem a little over the top.

A party after winning the division after a 162 game grind I get.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:21 PM   #9640
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I guess being one of only 10 teams to participate in the MLB post season is a pretty decent accomplishment, but the champagne party does seem a little over the top.

A party after winning the division after a 162 game grind I get.
hockey teams barely celebrate being one of two teams to make the finals
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote