Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #101
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
It was his disdain for this organization - I would have a long memory about that.
Seems a revisionist POV. A kid with his dad in his ear about being a legacy in NYR. Not to mention the possible tampering by the Rangers themselves in the situation. ot saying Erixon is innocent but tough to stick it to him for being a kid with his dad doing most of his thinking for him.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:51 PM   #102
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Quote:
It was his disdain for this organization - I would have a long memory about that.
Disdain for the organization? I don't know where that comes from.

Maybe he just didn't want to live and play in Calgary? Lots of players don't want to do that... doesn't mean they have disdain for the Calgary Flames.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:51 PM   #103
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Why? They weren't here when it went down. Sutter drafted him, Feaster managed to get something out of nothing for him.
Conroy was.

Recall him saying that he called Erixon's agent after they traded Regehr to tell him that Erixon would have gotten a chance.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #104
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Disdain for the organization? I don't know where that comes from.

Maybe he just didn't want to live and play in Calgary? Lots of players don't want to do that... doesn't mean they have disdain for the Calgary Flames.
Being gifted playing time was a concern of his. Or at least the angle he used or was told to use. To e fair, at the time the D corps was locked up up nice and tight with a lot of expensive vets.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #105
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He literally did what Corban Knight did and for the same reasons
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #106
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of apologists here on Erixon - in my view he never gave this organization a shot - and yes that does speak to character - I don't care that he was a young kid or who was whispering in his ear.

I want players here like we have in Monahan, Gaudreau and Bennett who couldn't or can't wait to throw the Flaming C on their back.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #107
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would take him. Why not? You'd think at this point he would be happy to be wanted somewhere, anywhere.

We drafted him, and got some good prospects out of the whole mess. A little continuity after the rollercoaster may be what the doctor ordered, perhaps.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #108
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

My issue with Erixon was that he wasn't honest with the organization. No player has an obligation to sign with the team that drafted them. They are within their rights to not sign and re-enter the draft. So if he had gone to the Flames and said "look I'm going to be honest - I'm not signing with you under any circumstances"...that's fine. Cruddy in some ways but at least honest.
But he strung them along, expressed some concerns, and as the Flames addressed those concerns he changed his reasons for not signing.
That's why the guy can F off.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:08 PM   #109
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like Tim Erixon any more than anyone else here. He did not handle himself well, and has seen himself get bounced around the league accordingly. Nobody places self entitled brats as core pieces and he was that.

That said, he is still a talented young defenseman that is available for free. Calgary needs those. Despite all that has happened, I would probably give him a shot with no guarantees of remaining in the NHL. Prove that you belong or get out. All he has to do is show that he's better than Corey Potter, Deryk Engelland and Raphael Diaz. That's not exactly the hardest thing in the world. If he was any other guy, but had the same stats etc in the AHL, everyone would be clamoring for the Flames to add him. It has been nearly 4 years since the whole business went down, perhaps Tim Erixon the 23 year old is more mature than the 19 year old version.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2015, 04:23 PM   #110
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
My issue with Erixon was that he wasn't honest with the organization. No player has an obligation to sign with the team that drafted them. They are within their rights to not sign and re-enter the draft. So if he had gone to the Flames and said "look I'm going to be honest - I'm not signing with you under any circumstances"...that's fine. Cruddy in some ways but at least honest.
But he strung them along, expressed some concerns, and as the Flames addressed those concerns he changed his reasons for not signing.

I agree with everything you said. I do however wonder how much his dad and agent had to do with the whole situation?
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #111
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I don't think claiming Erixon sends the right message to the rest of the kids. Always earned, never given.. unless you screw us over, then you can take whatever you want.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:34 PM   #112
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something that happened four years ago still is a thorn in some fans sides. Everyone deserves a second chance. It's what makes us Human. Whether they claim Erixon or not isn't going to kill the Flames either way. Kids in the right age group that plays a position the sorely need depth in. No harm in giving a chance.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2015, 04:44 PM   #113
The Swedish Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I agree with everything you said. I do however wonder how much his dad and agent had to do with the whole situation?
If I remember correctly, Swedish hockey-writers seemed to assume/claim that his family played a fairly big role in it. The "we don't know if he will actually get a shot" stuff that his agents tried to feed Feaster with was just crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Something that happened four years ago still is a thorn in some fans sides. Everyone deserves a second chance. It's what makes us Human. Whether they claim Erixon or not isn't going to kill the Flames either way. Kids in the right age group that plays a position the sorely need depth in. No harm in giving a chance.
I'm all for him getting a second shot. In another club far away from Calgary. Preferably somewhere in Siberia.
The Swedish Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:54 PM   #114
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That, and I suspect that there were some behind the scenes dealings with the Rangers while he was stringing the Flames along.

I know business is business, but I consider this bridge burned. I don't want him and I hope his NHL career is done.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #115
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Water under the bridge. We need young defencemen. No brainer.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:36 PM   #116
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Although I agree it's really hard to differentiate how much this was actually Tim himself and if this really was created by his father, agent, and Sather? Parents and agents can have a huge influence over a 19 year old kid and I get the feeling that given no outside pressure he may have stuck with the Flames. We will never know now but at the end of the day it appears his father and agent miscalculated badly and may have cost his son a long NHL career. There was no guarantee he would have made it with the Flames but given their lack of depth in young talent at the time he would have been given every opportunity to make it and maybe it's time to accept he's just another Flames 1st round pick from that era that was a bust.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #117
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

78 games played, over parts of 4 seasons, with 3 teams.
1 goal. 12 assists.
He's not a "talented young defenseman".
I don't want him.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:43 PM   #118
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
He literally did what Corban Knight did and for the same reasons
Not really. Corban Knight, like Justin Schultz before him, was to become a UFA and be allowed to sign anywhere he wanted.

Tim Erixon was headed back to the draft where the next team to draft him would hold his rights.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #119
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Not really. Corban Knight, like Justin Schultz before him, was to become a UFA and be allowed to sign anywhere he wanted.

Tim Erixon was headed back to the draft where the next team to draft him would hold his rights.
Either way, they held the cards with the organization and used the leverage they had to get what they thought was a better chance to play
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #120
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Don't forget all the insinuations that the Rangers were tampering....

If true he went behind the Flames' back and negotiated with another team.

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-28-2015 at 05:53 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote