Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #81
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I would like flames to claim him and keep him up. He's better than Potter, Diaz or Engelland
I'm having a tough time believing constantly moving and constantly on waivers Erixon can possibly be better than Engelland at this point. I get they are moving in different directions career wise, up slope vs. down, but give me a break. Engelland has played more than 50 games a season in the NHL since 2010, other than this year on a good team in Pittsburgh. But he's not young or a fast puck mover, so that automatically means he gets undervalued by most on this site.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2015, 01:09 PM   #82
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
Still one of the fonder memories of the Feaster era. The approaching crunch of Erixon's imminent fleeing and yet the Flames were able to make the trade they did to convert it into some decent assets.

As we're calling the Spoon up yet again, Tom is getting sent down yet again.
To my mind, it was the drafting that made this trade such a win for Feaster and co. The trade itself was largely Sather having to avoid making the tampering look too obvious.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #83
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I'm having a tough time believing constantly moving and constantly on waivers Erixon can possibly be better than Engelland at this point. I get they are moving in different directions career wise, up slope vs. down, but give me a break. Engelland has played more than 50 games a season in the NHL since 2010, other than this year on a good team in Pittsburgh. But he's not young or a fast puck mover, so that automatically means he gets undervalued by most on this site.
I agree, but I'd still claim Erixon, use him as the #7 and send Wotherspoon back to Adirondack for a playoff push.

If Wotherspoon isn't quite ready, I'd rather see him get playing time and I'd hate to see Treliving give up an asset (even a 7th) for a #7D.

Last edited by CalgaryFan1988; 02-28-2015 at 01:14 PM.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #84
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm definitely on board with claiming Erixon. Claim him, throw him at the feet of Bob Hartley and see if we can turn him into a professional. If not? Discard him at the end of the season.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2015, 01:16 PM   #85
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
That he might be better than our 6th best defenceman isn't a ringing endorsement.
He's easily better than Engelland, and there is at least some upside to Erixon too. You don't get 38 points in 40 AHL games without talent. Not only does Engelland not have talent, he's not even good in own end, in fact he's terrible. He throws a decent check every 15-20 games when he can actually catch his target, that's literally all he provides besides 'leadership and character'. Too bad he can't play hockey well enough for that to actually matter. He's -14 on a +15 team playing against the other team's worst players, all well playing a paltry 12 minutes a game. For a defensemen, that really says something. He's a liability and if you can upgrade on him, you should. Especially when the upgrade is free.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:21 PM   #86
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
I agree, but I'd still claim Erixon, use him as the #7 and send Wotherspoon back to Adirondack for a playoff push.

If Wotherspoon isn't quite ready, I'd rather see him get playing time and I'd hate to see Treliving give up an asset (even a 7th) for a #7D.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #87
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Claim him, free defenseman. and he can earn a spot like he was supposed to. I think he learned his lesson that it wasn't any better anywhere else. Bring him back and let Hartley and Cloutier do their thing.

Really need to clear out Potter and Diaz though.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #88
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

He must be 8th or lower in the Blackhawks' depth. That likely means Keith, Seabrook, Timmonen, Hjalmarsson, Rundblad, Rozsival, and Oduya are a better fit in thier system.

...Sure, why not? Best case scenario, he turns into the top 4 we all hoped he was before he refused to sign. Erixon has the speed and capacity to play the run and gun style the Flames have. Worst case scenario, he eats popcorn for 20 games.

The Flames have the space and opportunity to have Erixon show his worth and maturation after 4 years. Give it a shot and let Wotherspoon fight it out for the current roster spot. Or give Wotherspoon more minutes in Adirondack.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:41 PM   #89
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Absolutely put in a claim. He could be a serviceable defenceman. My guess is that he's got problems upstairs, but if any team can get someone to buy in, it's this team.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #90
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just feel like he's worth the risk. How do waivers work after the deadline?
Old 02-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #91
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Absolutely put in a claim. He could be a serviceable defenceman. My guess is that he's got problems upstairs, but if any team can get someone to buy in, it's this team.
I love when people say this. How are so sure it'll work for us? You don't think Sutter in LA can whip him into shape? Wings development? the system Tampa has in place where young guys are flourishing etc etc?
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #92
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
I love when people say this. How are so sure it'll work for us? You don't think Sutter in LA can whip him into shape? Wings development? the system Tampa has in place where young guys are flourishing etc etc?
Because if it doesnt work you spent nothing and you jettison him into the sun or trade him to Edmonton.

If given the choice I'd choose the sun, but hey, theres no accounting for taste.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #93
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Claim him. It's a good deal if only for the pure ironing.

But you'd have to do it now for it to make sense.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rerun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #94
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post

Well I'm not sure, but I feel like the ethos of this team is something that could give him a chance to work hard. Work hard and maybe the underlying talent comes out.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:09 PM   #95
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depends on his attitude I guess. If he is honestly ready to change and turn a new leaf then maybe.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:38 PM   #96
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I was Burkie and at at Treliving I would never claim him just on principle alone - there are other options and I would have a long institutional memory on this one.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:41 PM   #97
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
If I was Burkie and at at Treliving I would never claim him just on principle alone - there are other options and I would have a long institutional memory on this one.
Why? They weren't here when it went down. Sutter drafted him, Feaster managed to get something out of nothing for him.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:42 PM   #98
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Worst case, you build him up and trade him for a pick or something. Not allot of downside other than the fact that he didn't sign before.
Buck Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #99
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Why? They weren't here when it went down. Sutter drafted him, Feaster managed to get something out of nothing for him.
It was his disdain for this organization - I would have a long memory about that.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:46 PM   #100
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, these Erixon updates never do get old, do they? The guy is such a bust. Guess character was always an issue. Hope he's learned to eat some humble pie since his draft days.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote