Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Soliciting advice: Digitizing (?) my music collection

I've finally got myself set up to convert all my CD's to digital files and to transition into purchasing music electronically.

I know most of you did this like 25 years ago, so I'm looking for advice. Any software that makes it easy to store, burn, listen to and buy music files? Do I just go with iTunes to do everything?

I'm not interested in pirating music so no need to go there.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think for someone who doesn't need anything fancy, iTunes is best.

Simple and user-friendly is what Apple is made for.
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I use iTunes for all of that. I'm not tech savvy enough to look at other platforms.

One feature I like is the Genius Playlist - pick a song, and iTunes will create a playlist of 20 songs that fit with the song you picked.

Your collection is easily transferred to an iPod or iPad, and can be backed up in iCloud.

I don't like how iTunes seems to require a weekly download for updates.

I don't like how you can't move songs from your iPod to iTunes.

I turn off automatic syncing - go with manual.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Despite being one of the -if not the most- tech-savvy person I know, as well as a musician, I still prefer physical media for all my music. I still carry a CD wallet for my vehicle and my arm rest is filled with jewel cases. I've entertained thoughts of installing a 100-CD changer in the back (but they don't exist ), and the built-in 6 CD changer isn't enough.

That said, when I feel like ripping albums and making MP3 CDs (320kbps natch), I use FreeRIP because it encodes well and creates proper folder structure (Band\Album\Bandname - TrackName.mp3) for my cars video display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 08-08-2014 at 03:54 PM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

It probably depends what you want to listen to it on. I use iTunes and an iPod (mostly plugged into the car - I listen to CDs at home). This is a simple solution but might lock you into the Apple ecosystem unless you're tech savvy or want to re-digitize everything if you switch down the road. MP3 and similar formats from other software are more universal and iTunes can read them as well - might be slightly more work/more complex to do the ripping but there are plenty of programs that can do it such as the one PsYcNeT mentioned.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

m4a files are pretty widely supported now as well, so using iTunes isn't as much a lockin for music as it used to be.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you use Itunes make sure you use one of the lossless formats like WAV, AIFF, FLAC, Apple Lossless. MP3 and some of the others are very poor quality. I have CDs, SACDs, and DVD-Audio, so far i have only converted CDs and I am working my way through very slowly.

http://lifehacker.com/5927052/whats-...e-should-i-use
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Lossless is nice as you can keep the large lossless ones on your computer or network, and then put compressed files onto the devices (some apps support conversion when transferring like iTunes). The audible difference of compressed formats is debatable (depending on the level of compression of course).
Old 08-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Still using Exact Audio Copy with the Lame codec.

Have not had any issues using the variable bitrate mode, and that is even on my full DJ rig where it should be evident.
Shawnski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shawnski For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I prefer listening to CD's in my vehicle and have a CD wallet to store my CD's or burned discs in.

All of my music (89.8 GB) is stored on my computer as WAV files and I have then categorised by genre. When I need to make compilation discs I use Roxio Creater to burn my music and then save my playlist in a separate folder.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #11
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
If you use Itunes make sure you use one of the lossless formats like WAV, AIFF, FLAC, Apple Lossless. MP3 and some of the others are very poor quality. I have CDs, SACDs, and DVD-Audio, so far i have only converted CDs and I am working my way through very slowly.

http://lifehacker.com/5927052/whats-...e-should-i-use

Not only is a high bit-rate MP3 indistinguishable from Lossless, but DVD-Audio and SACD were pretty much marketing gimmicks, as they too are indistinguishable from a regular CD.

Convert the stuff into MP3s, it's the most versatile and widely accepted format. It'll make your life easy.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #12
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

The simpler way would be to download all your albums using torrents, but I suppose that is technically illegal. Though isn't "digitizing" your CDs illegal as well? If the result is the same does it matter?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Maybe just use Spotify or something and forget about your physical collection?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #14
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Cosby View Post
Not only is a high bit-rate MP3 indistinguishable from Lossless, but DVD-Audio and SACD were pretty much marketing gimmicks, as they too are indistinguishable from a regular CD.
It depends on your ear, generally more data will provide more resolution, in many cases its like the difference between a Bluray and a DVD. If the OP does not care about that then MP3s are fine. Beyond that CDs are two channel and the other formats are 5.1, an example of this would be the "Dark Side of the Moon" SACD. That SACD kicks the crap out of the CD version.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:59 PM   #15
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's actually a huge waste of time. Just get Google Play for $7.99/month and have access to anything you want on your device or in the cloud in top notch quality.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:01 AM   #16
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
It depends on your ear, generally more data will provide more resolution, in many cases its like the difference between a Bluray and a DVD. If the OP does not care about that then MP3s are fine. Beyond that CDs are two channel and the other formats are 5.1, an example of this would be the "Dark Side of the Moon" SACD. That SACD kicks the crap out of the CD version.

They actually did studies and had audio professionals (recording engineers, that sort of thing) listen to SACDs and CDs on high end equipment and the two were found to be indistinguishable. One in particular was a blind test where the audio professionals had to push a button to switch between SACD and CD. In the test, the button would activate CD, SACD, or no change at all (so that the two were not always obviously different).

In the tests, their success rate was between 35 and 50%. Meaning even professionals whose job it is to listen to and analyse sound weren't able to tell the difference between the two, as 35-50% is indicative of the same result you would get if you just guessed.

Now you know!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chill Cosby For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #17
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah audio quality is very subjective. I always love the Coat Hanger story myself.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...html#post15412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Cosby View Post
They actually did studies and had audio professionals (recording engineers, that sort of thing) listen to SACDs and CDs on high end equipment and the two were found to be indistinguishable. One in particular was a blind test where the audio professionals had to push a button to switch between SACD and CD. In the test, the button would activate CD, SACD, or no change at all (so that the two were not always obviously different).

In the tests, their success rate was between 35 and 50%. Meaning even professionals whose job it is to listen to and analyse sound weren't able to tell the difference between the two, as 35-50% is indicative of the same result you would get if you just guessed.

Now you know!
Link to the paper.

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=14195

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #18
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

10$/month for Spotify is definitely the way to go. You basically have access to everything. All sorts of options on saving offline to phones or whatever. Lots of apps on receivers, TVs, media devices.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #19
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you burn files from Spotify or Google Play to CD's?
Old 08-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #20
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe I'm just stuck in the digital past, but I still can't take the step towards subscription services. I don't know if I like the idea of renting music. Any time you cancel a subscription, that music and anything you've discovered since, is now inaccessible to you.

This might sound archaic to some, but I recommend to the OP -- get an iPod (classic 160 GB), and rip all your CD's through iTunes. Make sure you have a hard drive big enough to store all the files a decent Bitrate. Personally I think 256 is good enough but it'll depend on how it sounds to you through your speakers and headphones. Transfer all the music to the iPod, and you are good to go. Buy anything new from the iTunes store. Its just an easy, effective, centralized solution for what you want to do.

Also with an iPod you'll never have to worry about having an internet connection, moving songs on and off, the battery will last forever, and there are loads of accessories to help you use it in different situations. This is what I still use, and I think my iPod classic is still better for music than any cell phone, app or subscription. Oh, and iTunes files have no drm anymore, so the files are yours to store, duplicate, and use with any device you ever own.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 08-09-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post: