Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2017, 09:38 PM   #1101
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
According to this graph from 2015 they are well down the list.
I don't know how this is calculated or how accurate it is.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...teams-in-2010/

(link says 2010 for some reason, but page says 2015)
I would bet that is accurate but that is reported revenue, not what was actually made. Jays don't report all their revenue within the baseball team. One big missing piece is the tv contract. Rogers doesn't allocate a dollar of that to the Jays. MLBPA is actually starting to push the Jays and MLB on this because in 2015 they only reported like 3 M or something like that of profit despite the run. Nothing wrong with the way Rogers reports, but you'll never get an accurate picture of the Jays like you will other teams that only Really have the team within their entity. Does the fact that on that list the Braves, Phillies, Pirates, and Mariners made more than the Jays in 2015 not rise your eye brows? The Braves had their worst attendance in the history of Turner Field that year and the Phillies were a bottom dweller that played to a half empty stadium.

The only thing you can really figure out is how much they are charging for games and how many seats are full. They have some priciest tickets in the league while leading the AL in attendance. It's safe to say they are among the top of the league since 2015. Their merchandise sales have to be phenomenal over that period. You can't go two feet anywhere in North America the past two years without bumping into some Jays gear.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 01-18-2017 at 10:06 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:29 PM   #1102
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Arencibia retired today. Unfortunate it didn't work out better for him in Toronto. One of the prospects coming out of a dark time that really got us jazzed up and excited to be a Kaya fan again. I guess if he had panned out we wouldn't have Martin though.

http://www.tsn.ca/former-jays-c-aren...tires-1.653042

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 01-18-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:45 PM   #1103
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anthony Gose designated today by Tigers. They sure must regret that trade
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:56 PM   #1104
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Anthony Gose designated today by Tigers. They sure must regret that trade
If you follow that back further, the Jays traded Halladay for Michael Taylor, Travis D'arnault, and Kyle Drabek. They immediately flipped Michael Taylor for Brett Wallace who was traded for Goss. What an absolute pile of junk outside of D'Arnault.

That Travis deal was finally a win for the Jays from the Halladay deal. We were due!
Old 01-18-2017, 11:51 PM   #1105
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Another insightful baseball comment or thought or analysis!

Seriously in 10 pages you haven't made 1 contribution to this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Do you ever actually post anything of substance or do you just drop with your one liners? I think Jason14th is still waiting for an answer from you.

While it's obvious the FX rate does effect the Jays to an extent, It's nowhere near as bad as simply looking at the FX rate of the day. Their tickets are around fifth highest in the league even once converted to USD and the average price of attending a game at Rogers Center is 4th once again once converted. The Jays charge a significant premium to their fans ( and justifiably so) which compensates for difference in FX.

It's pretty simple, the Jays are making more on game day even than around 80% of the league even once converting their revenue to USD.

Not sure how that makes Rogers look bad? I don't think I've heard Rogers complain about the exchange rates. It's just not a good argument for fans to say that is why the Jays can't spend as much because it's simply not the major contributing factors. Jays fans pay a premium for tickets, concessions, merchandise over their US counterparts that helps make up for that.
You two are pathetic. You both clearly share a brain or an account or something because you both have the same skewed perspective. And sorry it took time to reply, I don't spend all day on here crying that things haven't worked out like I'd hoped like the two of you.

And you marginalizing the effect of the exchange rate is just pathetic. If the Jays actually had a good exchange rate, they might be able to have the funds to compete with the big market clubs in the US right now. Also Jiri is 100% right, the problem is MLB and their lack of interest in reducing the disparity between the big and small market clubs.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #1106
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You two are pathetic. You both clearly share a brain or an account or something because you both have the same skewed perspective. And sorry it took time to reply, I don't spend all day on here crying that things haven't worked out like I'd hoped like the two of you.
Another great baseball post! Why don't you just leave? Honestly there are many viewpoints here, and you only contribution is posting saying you think the 2 of us are idiots. We get it, you think Rogers is running the best baseball operation in MLB and we should all be grateful to have such transparent and generous owners!
Quote:
Also Jiri is 100% right, the problem is MLB and their lack of interest in reducing the disparity between the big and small market clubs.
The funniest is how you agree with everything Jiri says 100% and yet group me and TAO together. If you actually read posts I disagree with lots of his opinions about the team over the past year and moves they should make.

And baseball is actually taking steps with every CBA to close this gap. There is now an artificial cap that teams won't go over since the tax is so huge. There is massive revenue sharing. There are more restrictive international signing penalties and rules. The fact that all but one owner voted yes on the CBA, that they haven't had a work stoppage in 20 years, and have had 12 different championship teams since 2000 sure shows they don't care about closing the gap or competitive equality.

Here are the payroll charts. Notice something? Top teams reducing payrolls, and bottom teams seeing an increase? So while work still needs to be done, saying MLB doesn't care is the furthest thing from the truth.

http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm
Old 01-19-2017, 08:24 AM   #1107
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So now that we got Bautista back in the fold and our outfield situation is clearer, it's time to look at the bullpen. We need a lefty for sure, I would add that another arm for the 7th or 8th inning would be great. Grilli was great last year, but you don't know when age is going to catch up with him.

Boone Logan would be my first target.

I wonder if the Jays can convince Greg Holland to come in on a 1 year deal and setup for Osuna. Build his value a bit.

Outside of Holland I would look at Sergio Romo or Neftali Feliz.

After that it might be a long shot but it would be interesting if they had the money to circle back and look at Granderson or Bruce to add another lefty power bat to the lineup. I would prefer Granderson as he is a better defender. It seems like the Mets are fairly motivated to move one of them so I wonder if they eat a bit of salary, not much probably as I believe they are motivated to move salary more so than the players.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:27 AM   #1108
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder if the Jays can convince Greg Holland to come in on a 1 year deal and setup for Osuna. Build his value a bit.
Reports are he is holding out for a 2 years deal and that has been a sticking point although I haven't seen the Jays mentions as a suitor anywhere yet
Old 01-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #1109
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just finished reading the last 10-15 pages or so of this thread and wow! I'm assuming a couple of you are straight trolling. Seriously I've never seen so much bellyaching. The lineup looks solid with a couple back up positions needed. I agree some bullpen help is needed but thank god we didn't throw stupid money on relievers. Starting pitching looks relatively stable I see losing dickey as an upgrade regardless who takes his place. In general it looks like we are not as strong as last year but not massively imo. We should compete for a wildcard.
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichKlit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #1110
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Holland would be ideal! Any idea what he's seeking dollar wise?
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #1111
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Mike Wilner ‏@Wilnerness590
Atkins: "If this winds up being a three-year deal, we'll both be elated." #Bluejays #Jays

Atkins: "We're excited for Jose as a right fielder. Most likely, we'll see him in RF the bulk of our games." #Bluejays #Jays

Atkins: "We have to figure out a way to win more games - there's a picturesque way to do it, with big names, we'll consider all." #Bluejays

Atkins: Clear need to add to our bullpen, clear need for a back-up catcher, if there are upgrades. May be a trade or FA fit. #Bluejays #Jays

Atkins adds Ceciliani and Pompey to the LF mix when it's suggested that Pearce, Zeke and Upton are his options there. #Bluejays #Jays
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 09:29 AM   #1112
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Atkins: "We're excited for Jose as a right fielder. Most likely, we'll see him in RF the bulk of our games." #Bluejays #Jays
Well I can't wait to see more of this:

sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #1113
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

That was Goin's fault just as much as Jose's.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alan21 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #1114
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Atkins: Clear need to add to our bullpen, clear need for a back-up catcher, if there are upgrades. May be a trade or FA fit. #Bluejays #Jays
Guess I'm not a troll or idiot for saying our bullpen sucks and we need to address it. Hopefully we see a big name or money spent.

If we end up with Jose and fix the bullpen I will be more then happy from what we looked like 1 week ago.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #1115
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Guess I'm not a troll or idiot for saying our bullpen sucks and we need to address it. Hopefully we see a big name or money spent.
No one called you an idiot or a troll for mentioning Jays needs. Everyone knows they still need to add to the bullpen. It's the constant Rogers ownership suck and don't want the franchise to succeed crap spewed by you and TAO that everyone is getting sick of.

Quote:
If we end up with Jose and fix the bullpen I will be more then happy from what we looked like 1 week ago.
Highly doubt it.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #1116
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Atkins: "If this winds up being a three-year deal, we'll both be elated." #Bluejays #Jays

Atkins: "We have to figure out a way to win more games - there's a picturesque way to do it, with big names, we'll consider all." #Bluejays

Atkins adds Ceciliani and Pompey to the LF mix when it's suggested that Pearce, Zeke and Upton are his options there. #Bluejays #Jays
I can't see this being a 3 years deal either way. Atkins has to say that. If Bautista has a great year (which I think he will becomes he loves playing angry), he's going to back out. If he bats .250 and hits 20 homeruns again while being somewhat of a liability in the field, the Jays aren't going to pay him 18M.

Jose, albeit a very good one, is a stop gap for the Jays. They missed out on Fowler and couldn't get a trade done on a few other guys which is I suspect is due to the Jays unwillingness to include Stroman. I don't think the Jays or Jose had any intention of continuing their relationship past last year until circumstances required it.

We've already upgraded our backup catcher from last year even if we do nothing. Thole was useless. If the Jays just go with Jiminez they are already ahead of the game.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 01-19-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #1117
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Ohlman has any shot of pushing Jiminez for back up catching duties?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #1118
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I thought he was more of a 1B. I could be wrong.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #1119
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I can't see why he wouldn't. It's not like Jiminez has an outstanding resume coming from AAA.

Ohlman has significantly better offensive stats in AAA. Not really sure on how the competition stacks ups when comparing the PCL to the International League, so i'm not sure if that's a fair comparison.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #1120
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, yeah I guess it's not like his competition is other worldly.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote