Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2015, 10:16 PM   #121
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Hartley knew what was going to happen when he put those guys out when the game was out of reach. A fine was deserved.
Matt Stajan?
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2015, 10:17 PM   #122
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ah the NHL. The only professional league on the planet that arbitrarily fines coaches for putting the 'wrong' players in the game. Under such an ambiguous rule too. Impressive if you're trying to look like a poor man's NBA I suppose.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2015, 10:26 PM   #123
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
As has been posted several times, the total fighting majors on the ice were 17 for the Flames and 23 for the Nucks.
That's a bit disingenuous. Ferland only had 2 fights this season, but he also played in less than a third of the games and is a strong fighter. I'm not saying that Hartley should have been fined, but the Flames had 3 fighters on the ice compared to only 1 for the Canucks. I'm fully on board with that strategy by Hartley, but let's not pretend that we weren't throwing a bunch of tough guys out there.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gargamel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2015, 10:31 PM   #124
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
That's a bit disingenuous. Ferland only had 2 fights this season, but he also played in less than a third of the games and is a strong fighter. I'm not saying that Hartley should have been fined, but the Flames had 3 fighters on the ice compared to only 1 for the Canucks. I'm fully on board with that strategy by Hartley, but let's not pretend that we weren't throwing a bunch of tough guys out there.
Matt Stajan?
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2015, 10:31 PM   #125
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not disingenuous at all. ALL of the players on the ice were taking regular shifts all night.

Some people are trying to paint a picture like Hartley sent McGrattan and Westgarth out there.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2015, 10:33 PM   #126
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Matt Stajan?
Notorious goon.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:38 PM   #127
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Not disingenuous at all. ALL of the players on the ice were taking regular shifts all night.

Some people are trying to paint a picture like Hartley sent McGrattan and Westgarth out there.
I agree with that and don't think Hartley should have been fined. It's pretty clear that Stajan wouldn't have been out there if Hartley was trying to start a line brawl, but I was just pointing out that the fact that the Canucks players on the ice had had more fights this year than our guys doesn't mean that their lineup was tougher than ours, as some people have been claiming.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:45 PM   #128
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with that and don't think Hartley should have been fined. It's pretty clear that Stajan wouldn't have been out there if Hartley was trying to start a line brawl, but I was just pointing out that the fact that the Canucks players on the ice had had more fights this year than our guys doesn't mean that their lineup was tougher than ours, as some people have been claiming.
I never saw anyone claim that.

The point of the stat was to demonstrate that the Flames lineup was far from being goon-worthy. It also showed that the Flames fight very little - it's not like Hartley is stirring up line brawls every night
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2015, 10:50 PM   #129
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Who was on the ice?

Number of fights during the regular season:
Dorsett = 17
Hamhuis = 2
Sbisa = 2
Richardson = 2
Matthias = 0

TOTAL = 23
Bollig = 8
Engelland = 7
Ferland = 2
Stajan = 0
Potter = 0

TOTAL = 17

Clearly, it was all Hartley's fault. Taking liberties with the poor little Canucks.
To be fair, Potter and Ferland only combine for 32 games all season (Potter 6 games Ferland 26).
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:58 PM   #130
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by カナダ人です View Post
To be fair, Potter and Ferland only combine for 32 games all season (Potter 6 games Ferland 26).
Potter being out there at all pretty much kills this theory dead, guy is the opposite of a fighter. He looked positively scared and uncomfortable out there dancing with Sbisa. He adds like -14 to the total.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:00 PM   #131
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Haven't read the whole thread so this may have been covered already, but I think the $50k fine to Hartley is basically the NHL's way of not throwing the game officials under the bus.

They rescinded the instigator, which looks bad on the refs so by fining Hartley, it transfers the blame for the whole incident from the refs who let it get out of hand to Hartley.

It's the League's way of saying our guys messed up but it's not their fault. I don't agree with it, but that's an easy way to keep all sides happy since the likelihood that the full $50k ever gets paid is minimal.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeecho For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2015, 11:06 PM   #132
mhsyyc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The whole thing is a joke, from the way the officials handled the game to the fine. The entire thing makes the NHL look terrible. The league and the officials need to just let the players play.
mhsyyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:11 PM   #133
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
the likelihood that the full $50k ever gets paid is minimal.
Why wouldn't the full $50k get paid?
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:25 PM   #134
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhouse View Post
Why wouldn't the full $50k get paid?
I was once told by a former assistant coach in the NHL that these things tend to get knocked down after the fact. Much like when you get a traffic ticket... Claim you're guilty with an explanation and the fines get cut down.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:26 PM   #135
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

At about the 3:45 mark, Grapes starts talking about Hartley's fine. He doesn't agree with it. Thinks Willie deserves the blame.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/c...-playoffs-now/
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:27 PM   #136
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

We should start a go fund me page to help Hartley with his fines.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:48 AM   #137
FAN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Potter being out there at all pretty much kills this theory dead, guy is the opposite of a fighter. He looked positively scared and uncomfortable out there dancing with Sbisa. He adds like -14 to the total.
Potter scared? 7-8 years ago Potter was dropping the gloves with the likes of Reed Low, Derek Dorsett, and Matt Hendricks.
FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:41 AM   #138
tfi racing
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
We should start a go fund me page to help Hartley with his fines.
What? Great idea,all us working stiffs making peanuts should give money to a millionaire coaching a silly game played by millionaires,chances are the fine won't come out out of his pocket anyways. Hartley wouldn't take the money anyways,he would likely tell you there are plenty of people suffering from real hardship that need financial help more than he ever will.
tfi racing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tfi racing For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2015, 03:50 AM   #139
FAN
First Line Centre

Exp:

I always wonder how many of these fines get reimbursed and whether an owner is allowed to do so.
FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:13 AM   #140
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfi racing View Post
What? Great idea,all us working stiffs making peanuts should give money to a millionaire coaching a silly game played by millionaires,chances are the fine won't come out out of his pocket anyways. Hartley wouldn't take the money anyways,he would likely tell you there are plenty of people suffering from real hardship that need financial help more than he ever will.
Green text posts are meant to be sarcastic.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post: