Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #1301
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Brian McGrattan could score 50 goals if he plays like I hope he does
Well your hope is unrealistic while mine is possible.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:53 PM   #1302
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
I can somewhat agree with the consensus here. Dion had an incredible rookie season, Monahan didn't have that same level of play.
Dion peaked early and hasn't fixed or improved on all of his problems. Monahan just put on 10 pounds to improve on quickness. Iggy didn't score 50 in his first season. I look forward to his development.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:04 AM   #1303
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I still see Monahan as a solid 2nd line center for the team. Unless he shows more attributes to his game (he's got great attributes already, but you wouldn't exactly call him flashy) then that's where he's likely headed.

And I have no problem with that, cause he's still a damn good all around player and chances are, we're either getting a surefire 1st line center next June, or we already have ours in Bennett. And if we land one of the big two then we'll just have Bennett on their wing ripping the competition apart.

Boy, rebuilds sure are fun, until the puck drops and you realize how long and agonizing the season is going to be.. (hopefully JG will have something to say about that)
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:13 AM   #1304
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I still see Monahan as a solid 2nd line center for the team. Unless he shows more attributes to his game (he's got great attributes already, but you wouldn't exactly call him flashy) then that's where he's likely headed.

And I have no problem with that, cause he's still a damn good all around player and chances are, we're either getting a surefire 1st line center next June, or we already have ours in Bennett. And if we land one of the big two then we'll just have Bennett on their wing ripping the competition apart.

Boy, rebuilds sure are fun, until the puck drops and you realize how long and agonizing the season is going to be.. (hopefully JG will have something to say about that)
I was expecting it to be much worse last season, actually. Was pleasantly surprised not only at how competitive the team was (though MANY losses, they were mostly a competitive team night in, night out), and was shocked at how few times they got blown out.

It was hockey that was actually more interesting than I have seen being played at the Dome for years now. Hopefully this year will be something similar - competitive and fun to watch, without getting blown out often. Hopefully we see some youth step in along the season to make it even more entertaining like they did last year as well.

I guess I quite enjoyed watching a 'loser team' grow and far exceed my expectations. Hopefully this upcoming season will not be agonizing and long - last season felt short, actually!
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 01:37 AM   #1305
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I was expecting it to be much worse last season, actually. Was pleasantly surprised not only at how competitive the team was (though MANY losses, they were mostly a competitive team night in, night out), and was shocked at how few times they got blown out.

It was hockey that was actually more interesting than I have seen being played at the Dome for years now. Hopefully this year will be something similar - competitive and fun to watch, without getting blown out often. Hopefully we see some youth step in along the season to make it even more entertaining like they did last year as well.

I guess I quite enjoyed watching a 'loser team' grow and far exceed my expectations. Hopefully this upcoming season will not be agonizing and long - last season felt short, actually!
This was actually really true. I was both shocked and impressed with them for really limiting the number of nights they were run out of the building. Which is why I really hate Dallas now, cause they were the only team that seemed to consistently walk over us, of all teams. ####ing Seguin.

However, maybe I just went to some not so great games, but I sat through a lot of losses, where we would come back to make it close, but only in the final minutes would the team pull their pants up and work. 2nd periods were consistently snoozers. Typically the road team protecting a small lead and us just biding our time for the right play. That being said, it could've been much, much worse given the circumstances.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:53 AM   #1306
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Why do the attributes Monahan possesses have to be flashy in order to be a #1 center? I think you are selling Monahan a little bit short here. He already has qualities some #1 centers in this league lack - size, scoring touch, a smooth skating stride, along with playmaking/faceoff abilities he has yet to show in the NHL, but will eventually get to showcase like he did in junior.

IMO there is a little too much emphasis on pure skill + flash rather than substance when it comes to talking about centers. It is difficult to find players who have both - the ones with flashy skill (ie. RNH, Sedin, Giroux) produce the offense a #1 center should, but the other aspects of their games hinder them especially come playoff time. And the centers that don't have the "flash" a #1 center should and don't produce as much, but excel at everything else (Bergeron, Toews, Krejci) are the ones who seem to have more playoff success.

I easily see Monahan in the latter group of those centers - which is fine by me and is the reason why I have confidence that a Monahan/Bennett tandem could outplay a Crosby/Malkin tandem going to war in a playoff series, or in the future whichever line McDavid plays on.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:18 AM   #1307
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

i thought monahan had a good season, and was surprised at just how good a finisher he was. heck even how successful he was in the shootout, given that we didn't see him dangle much.

one thing i thought we'd see more of was his play-making ability. that's one area i think we'll see the biggest improvement in the coming years. i hope that as he gets more comfortable at the NHL/pro level, and the speed of the game, he'll be able to create more opportunities for his linemates. last year, i feel he was rewarded more for his teammates' (read hudler) passing/play-making.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:54 AM   #1308
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I felt that a lack of foot speed reduced the amount of time he had available to handle the puck and make plays last season. If he has indeed improved his first couple of steps in the off season, he should show more of the play making ability he had in junior as well as getting to more loose pucks. I'm very excited for the season to start!
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:08 AM   #1309
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

If gaudreau makes the team this year, I think we will see monahans assists total go up.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:54 AM   #1310
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not impressed by his performance.....what the frick?

Go to bed and the world seems ok, wake up and it's its all Crazyville.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #1311
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan played well enough throughout the year where I never really questioned if he was rushed or Feaster made a mistake keeping him. He was amazing out of the gate and while he had scoring droughts he still finished the year strong and ended with respectable offensive numbers.

What is a good realistic projection from him this year? 50pts playing in less sheltered situations?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:37 AM   #1312
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

i think 20/20 and playing in more situations (ie. not as sheltered) would be ideal.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:40 AM   #1313
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think with this years team, predicting points is going to be a little hard to do and I think his point totals will be a little misleading too. This team has even less scoring punch than last years and it's his sophomore year. I don't really care what his point totals are but I just want to see his game develop. I still see him as a Toews sort of player and I don't think he has to dominate point wise to be effective. If he's coming to camp in better shape and can increase his speed and still play a solid game against better competitors than I think it's awesome.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #1314
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
He looked impressive, but was not as impressive as he looked, if you follow me.

The only thing Monaghan really showed an ability to do at the NHL level was to score tip-ins and garbage goals. And the kid can do it like a champ, there's nothing bad about being able to crash the net and bang one in when nothing else is working.

But he was doing it all season because nothing else was working. I saw him make some pretty plays and not score, I saw him score on a lot of not-pretty goals, but I don't remember more than maybe one goal that he scored more than about 15 feet away from the net.

He wasnt much of a set-up man either, and I feel that his assist totals were a pretty accurate reflection of his playmaking ability at the NHL level last season. I also think his poor possession numbers accurately reflect the fact that he was about as good defensively as you'd expect from a 19 year old rookie.

I think he's got a bright future, and I project him to be a 30-35 goal player in his prime.

But last season was more puck-luck, and a good nose for garbage goals than an indication that Monahan is already a top-tier player.

His goal totals are very misleading in terms of where his overall game is.

He had a very impressive rookie season, but it wasn't as impressive as 22 goals makes it look.
You mean like those 500 garbage goals Joe Nieuwendyk scored in his career? Nobody is saying he was a top tier player last year, they are saying he had an excellent rookie season.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #1315
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I think with this years team, predicting points is going to be a little hard to do and I think his point totals will be a little misleading too. This team has even less scoring punch than last years and it's his sophomore year. I don't really care what his point totals are but I just want to see his game develop. I still see him as a Toews sort of player and I don't think he has to dominate point wise to be effective. If he's coming to camp in better shape and can increase his speed and still play a solid game against better competitors than I think it's awesome.

Toews is a great example. I've never been "impressed" with him yet he is unarguably one of if not the best player in the game. I think a lot of people, myself included, confuse impressed by with wowed by. I was never wowed by Monahan but his results are impressive.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #1316
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toews was far more impressive in his rookie season IMO.

I like Monahan, and his intangibles, etc, but I don't see him as a first line center
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #1317
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've always seen Monahan as comparable to Daymond Langkow.
Flamesguy_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesguy_SJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #1318
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Toews was far more impressive in his rookie season IMO.

I like Monahan, and his intangibles, etc, but I don't see him as a first line center
Toews didn't start in the NHL right after he was drafted, and Monahan did, so that is to be expected. I think Monahan easily has the skill and smarts to be a first line center, or at least a 1a/1b type.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #1319
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Toews is a great example. I've never been "impressed" with him yet he is unarguably one of if not the best player in the game.
I am stealing your word and using unarguably in sentences now. Awesome. I hate when people say arguably, as you can argue anything, even if you're wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #1320
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I am stealing your word and using unarguably in sentences now. Awesome. I hate when people say arguably, as you can argue anything, even if you're wrong.
No you can't!

Monahan did fine for his first year but if Bennett reaches his potential than I think Sean will be a second line center on the Flames which would be pretty good for us.

Tags
#23 , 2muchwhisky , 600 goals 1300 pts , kybb79 meltdown , love trolling , man with master plan , messiah