Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2014, 02:24 PM   #1341
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan only scored 22 goals in his 18 year old season. BUST!
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #1342
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
People already penciling him in as a sure 1st line center in this league.

If that were already determined, then he would've had a far better season than he did. The possibility is there, but it's far from a sure thing.
There's just no need for this kind of hyperbolae. Neither from anyone claiming they know what his ceiling is, or those trying to knock them down a peg.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #1343
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
People already penciling him in as a sure 1st line center in this league.

If that were already determined, then he would've had a far better season than he did. The possibility is there, but it's far from a sure thing.
I think there's a decent chance Monahan will be our #1 centre as early as this season.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #1344
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Monahan only scored 22 goals in his 18 year old season. BUST!
He was supposed to score 30 goals, so yes, bust.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #1345
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
There's just no need for this kind of hyperbolae. Neither from anyone claiming they know what his ceiling is, or those trying to knock them down a peg.

How was that hyperbolae? It seemed more like a raeguler and straeghtforward opinion. In fact, it's pretty much arguing the same thing you are: that hyperbolae is probably not the best thing. All he was saeing was that if Monahan was a sure-fire #1 center, he would've had a better season. Not that it was bad, he just still has a lot to prove.
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chill Cosby For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #1346
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Future 50 goal scorer. #### the haters.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #1347
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Monahan needs a lot of work on his defensive game. Many times I seen him float around watching the play... which was surprising considering he was praised for his two way game before being drafted. Some times I would get frustrated watching him because he's generally a patient and passive player, but he scored 22 goals so he's obviously doing something right. Late in the season he started picking it up which was good news. I just hope some of you guys give him realistic expectations and stop comparing him as "Toews-lite". Langkow imo is a more fair comparison.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SHOGUN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #1348
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm not bashing him in the slightest. I just think the kool aid is a little strong around here. The thread needs a little moon-ing to keep reality in check. Monahan could very well have a sophomore slump like many before him. He's going to be good in this league, but maybe not as quickly as some are suggesting.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #1349
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am so grateful the 2 Canadians fell to the Flames it he past 2 drafts. So much more excited with Monahan and Bennett rather than Linholm and Drasaitl. While the Euros may prove to be the better players I prefer to build the Flames around solid home grown talent. Both Bennett and Monahan seem like players capable of wearing a letter and both could be top line centres. Absolutely the best players available when we picked the last 2 years
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #1350
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOGUN View Post
I just hope some of you guys give him realistic expectations and stop comparing him as "Toews-lite". Langkow imo is a more fair comparison.
There isn't a set criteria as to what makes a comparison more fair or realistic. The people who are comparing Toews to Monahan have valid reasons for doing so - just as there are valid reasons for comparing Monahan to Langkow.

I can see why Toews is a comparable (and I'm not the biggest fan of that comparable btw) because Monahan is advertised as a two-way center, strong in the FO circle (although he isn't there yet with his faceoffs/defense), has a similar frame, and has similar demeanor and approach to the game. When people are comparing the two they're not necessarily saying Monahan is as good or as talented as Toews, but their styles may be similar. If you're looking at production between the two it is probably more accurate to compare Monahan's sophomore season to Toew's first season. Personally I think Bennett is a closer comparison to Toews because of his skating and intensity.

Overall Monahan was seen by most scouts as a projecting to be a top line center in his draft year and I don't see any reason yet why he won't reach that potential. As far as his lack of playmaking is concerned, I think a lot of that has to do with earning a spot in a lineup deprived of real goal-scorers outside of Cammalleri and Glencross, and by default Monahan became the next best finisher on the team. When he played with Baertschi and Hudler early in the season, he made some nice quality passes and only started to struggle when he paired with less talented linemates. He would have had a 20 goal/ 20 assist rookie season had he played with more talent. In the OHL he was praised for his passing ability and patience with the puck - that isn't simply going to disappear. IMO if he tops out as a 60 point guy that is still good numbers worthy of a first line center.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #1351
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
Why do the attributes Monahan possesses have to be flashy in order to be a #1 center? I think you are selling Monahan a little bit short here. He already has qualities some #1 centers in this league lack - size, scoring touch, a smooth skating stride, along with playmaking/faceoff abilities he has yet to show in the NHL, but will eventually get to showcase like he did in junior.

IMO there is a little too much emphasis on pure skill + flash rather than substance when it comes to talking about centers. It is difficult to find players who have both - the ones with flashy skill (ie. RNH, Sedin, Giroux) produce the offense a #1 center should, but the other aspects of their games hinder them especially come playoff time. And the centers that don't have the "flash" a #1 center should and don't produce as much, but excel at everything else (Bergeron, Toews, Krejci) are the ones who seem to have more playoff success.

I easily see Monahan in the latter group of those centers - which is fine by me and is the reason why I have confidence that a Monahan/Bennett tandem could outplay a Crosby/Malkin tandem going to war in a playoff series, or in the future whichever line McDavid plays on.

This season Monahan I think soaked up what the coaches expect of him, I don't think we have seen the best of Monahan yet.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #1352
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
This season Monahan I think soaked up what the coaches expect of him, I don't think we have seen the best of Monahan yet.
At 19 we better not have
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:53 PM   #1353
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
There isn't a set criteria as to what makes a comparison more fair or realistic. The people who are comparing Toews to Monahan have valid reasons for doing so - just as there are valid reasons for comparing Monahan to Langkow.

I can see why Toews is a comparable (and I'm not the biggest fan of that comparable btw) because Monahan is advertised as a two-way center, strong in the FO circle (although he isn't there yet with his faceoffs/defense), has a similar frame, and has similar demeanor and approach to the game. When people are comparing the two they're not necessarily saying Monahan is as good or as talented as Toews, but their styles may be similar. If you're looking at production between the two it is probably more accurate to compare Monahan's sophomore season to Toew's first season. Personally I think Bennett is a closer comparison to Toews because of his skating and intensity.

Overall Monahan was seen by most scouts as a projecting to be a top line center in his draft year and I don't see any reason yet why he won't reach that potential. As far as his lack of playmaking is concerned, I think a lot of that has to do with earning a spot in a lineup deprived of real goal-scorers outside of Cammalleri and Glencross, and by default Monahan became the next best finisher on the team. When he played with Baertschi and Hudler early in the season, he made some nice quality passes and only started to struggle when he paired with less talented linemates. He would have had a 20 goal/ 20 assist rookie season had he played with more talent. In the OHL he was praised for his passing ability and patience with the puck - that isn't simply going to disappear. IMO if he tops out as a 60 point guy that is still good numbers worthy of a first line center.
Monahan's style of play isn't similar with Toews. Toews is more offensive and dynamic with the puck than Monahan and can actually carry a play into to the offensive zone. When I see Monahan play, I don't see Jonathan Toews. Only similarities I see thus far is size and maturity level.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SHOGUN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #1354
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOGUN View Post
Monahan's style of play isn't similar with Toews. Toews is more offensive and dynamic with the puck than Monahan and can actually carry a play into to the offensive zone. When I see Monahan play, I don't see Jonathan Toews. Only similarities I see thus far is size and maturity level.

Regardless of any similarities or differences in style of play, Toews is 7 years older than Monahan and has 6 more years worth of NHL experience.

Comparing the way each currently plays the game based on last season is a hard exercise to validate.
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #1355
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Cosby View Post
Regardless of any similarities or differences in style of play, Toews is 7 years older than Monahan and has 6 more years worth of NHL experience.

Comparing the way each currently plays the game based on last season is a hard exercise to validate.
This. Toews is one of the best players in the world right now. No doubt Monahan looks like a different player. We can only hope he turns into that type of player. Might happen, might not, but he is already a heck of a player and will be getting better.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:05 PM   #1356
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Cosby View Post
How was that hyperbolae? It seemed more like a raeguler and straeghtforward opinion. In fact, it's pretty much arguing the same thing you are: that hyperbolae is probably not the best thing. All he was saeing was that if Monahan was a sure-fire #1 center, he would've had a better season. Not that it was bad, he just still has a lot to prove.
It's tipping too far to the opposite end of the spectrum. Doesn't like someone (and it's a very select few if any) proclaiming he's sure to be a #1 Centre, so states his numbers last year would be better if that was the case. There is no formula showing what a future number one centre's rookie season should look like.

No one knows what his ceiling is, and it's just as much a stretch to look at his numbers last year to conclude he won't top out as a number one centre as it is to proclaim he will be.

Last edited by GoJetsGo; 08-27-2014 at 10:10 PM.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #1357
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we'll see a minor improvement from Sean's point totals if he stays healthy.

Sure, there's the whole idea of a 'sophomore slump' and his ridiculously elevated shooting %; but when you look at AC's video highlights you see that the majority of his goals come from the most dangerous part of the ice: that high slot and around the crease area. That's the reason for his elevated shooting %; he doesn't waste shots or simply fire one hoping for a rebound. The boy has a natural finisher's touch around the net, which is where he always fires his shots. He knows when and where to be.

The reason I think his shooting % will stay relatively elevated - after probably a small drop from last year's - is that in a game of hockey there will always be rebounds and pucks popping loose and defensive lapses from the other team. It's like clockwork. Monahan didn't get all these goals by pure dazzling skill, Johnny Hockey wise - he was always apparently in the right place at the right time. The hockey IQ and finishing ability will continue to flourish because he knows when to go for the finish. Defenders can eventually zero in on the skill players and figure them out at the NHL level, but it's much harder to defend against smart play, vision, and a pure goal-scorer's nose for the net.

If one of Baertschi or Gaudreau gets slotted in on his LW, we'll see a higher assist total and since both Sven and Johnny can dish it as well, he'll score more.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #1358
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the things I'm most interested in is to see how Monahan progresses in his 2nd year. A sophomore slump isn't out of the question but I will say this guy is wired different than a lot of kids. He seems more mature and focused than your typical 20 year old and I feel he probably put a lot of work in this summer to improve his game. Would be nice if he could hit about 25 goals and polish up his play without the puck but even if he regresses a bit I feel he's going to be a good player for this organization.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #1359
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am hoping we can get 40 points out of him. I won't think of him any less if he doesn't reach that, just what I am hoping for. I'd like to see some more assists too, but that would require more players scoring.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #1360
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree that Monahan's shooting % will remain high. The guy has a natural ability to slow the game down, and great hands in close. His real test this year will be play without the puck. Judging by the weight he put on over the summer, he should have a more effective physical game.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#23 , 2muchwhisky , 600 goals 1300 pts , kybb79 meltdown , love trolling , man with master plan , messiah