Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2022, 08:50 PM   #201
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASe333 View Post
Growing up they usually had the best snow within 2hrs of Calgary. It was always a small Mt compared to Sunshine and Lake Louise but given it was only ~1hr away I don't understand how someone with $$ hasn't brought it back.

My best memory was the kicker just off wall street. You'd have to hike up minimally for a couple minutes from the Canadian chair and was just out of bounds but was always there and amazing.

The only negatives I can remember were the windy days coupled with old rickety chair lifts. Still can't believe it's almost been 20 years since the last time it was open.
More like 80 minutes from city limits, and I recall a lot of people were sketched out by the final access road (and HWY 40 isn't as well maintained with big dumps). Since TCH got twinned to LL there isn't much of an advantage anymore.

I've been on a Google Earth binge lately - it's pure fantasy and would had to happen from the earliest SnowRidge Days, but there is a good path for a gondola from the Galatea/Lillian Lake parking lot to the Farside/T-bar base. It would have been about the same length as the SSV gondola, so probably too expensive for a smaller hill.

But it would have knocked at least 25 mins off the drive, and of course the bridge ended up being the death knell for the resort. The base area parking being below the main lodge was a little wonky, too.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:54 PM   #202
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was kinda the charm of it. I remember going out one day for a big snowfall. The road up was super slick, and most people were stuck and sliding. I had my RWD Mazda MPV with worn out studded tires. But I also had a sand bag in the back, so when we got to the slick bit and had to stop to not hit people, I laid out 11's of sand, had the tailgate wide open, and 3 friends sitting on the back, bouncing up and down to grab some traction. We launched our way past all the stuck cars and trucks. That was just part of the Fortress experience.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 12:58 PM   #203
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

last week i bouht a new jacket at sporting life thinking my current pants would match, and they did not - so on sunday i ordered new pants. the pants were delivered today and a nice match. timing of delivery was perfect as we are headed to LL tomorrow.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:07 PM   #204
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lake Louise today was a nice sunny day……the folks at RBCAvion had thier tent set up and the wife and I each received buffs, $$25 door dash gift cards and VIP lift upgrades, which let us side step the lines all day.

For the first time ever we went up to the summit and skied Dow. We also found run 25 called Charlie’s choice, lots of fun as you can connect it to juniper jungle which is my favourite.

The juniper chair was not busy at all, but connects to mellow runs.

I need to hit up ski cellar tomorrow as my messed up ankle continues to give me grief in my boot. Any kind of walking is the worst.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:00 PM   #205
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What would be the bare minimum needed for tools to tune skis in between getting skis done professionally? I don't want to get into buying a ton of tools when I'm happy to just take my skis in to ski cellar and let them handle it every so often or when I ding them up. I'm looking for more of a maintenance thing. I do have my own iron, wax, brushes.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:35 PM   #206
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
What would be the bare minimum needed for tools to tune skis in between getting skis done professionally? I don't want to get into buying a ton of tools when I'm happy to just take my skis in to ski cellar and let them handle it every so often or when I ding them up. I'm looking for more of a maintenance thing. I do have my own iron, wax, brushes.
I think you're already there. Just a scraper, obviously, but I assume you have that since you have the other stuff.

I have an edge sharpener, but I'm unable to do as good of a job as a pro with it. Good enough to keep them reasonable, though.

I'd say grab some ptex, but I swear it's not as important as it used to be. I rarely need it anymore and I never get core shots like I feel like I did all the time when I was younger. I think bases are just way better than they used to be.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:37 PM   #207
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I don't think you need special clamps or stands or anything. I do my boards and my friends' skis just on my saw horses. I've also done boards just on two stools. Also done them just on the ground hah. There's nothing to it, really.
Old 02-16-2022, 01:04 PM   #208
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm going to Revy for the first time this weekend - couldn't be more excited. I imagine it will be busy for the long weekend but hoping for some good snow. Does anybody have some insider tips for that mountain?
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:15 PM   #209
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
I'm going to Revy for the first time this weekend - couldn't be more excited. I imagine it will be busy for the long weekend but hoping for some good snow. Does anybody have some insider tips for that mountain?
Stay as high as you can. Looks like the lower portion will be getting rain. Hopefully it snows up top.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2022, 04:26 PM   #210
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Stay as high as you can. Looks like the lower portion will be getting rain. Hopefully it snows up top.
Words to live by.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2022, 04:53 PM   #211
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post

I'll be there too, it's awesome. Looks like it's going to dump, stick to the north/greely bowl. The wind cuts across the mountain and snow settles on the north side. South bowl is typically pretty crusty.

The lemming line "hike" is 100% worth it.

Trees are incredible

Explore the mountain. There may only be 2 chairs at the top, but the terrain is vast given its massive vertical.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 01:02 PM   #212
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like the upcoming weekend should be great for snow at Lake Louise. The 5 day forecast shows flurries each day and hopefully that accumulates to decent layer of powder. The forecasted temperature looks perfect for a day at the hill.

I haven't been in the West Bowl yet and I'm thinking about taking my kids on Saturday. My one kid can do blacks easily and my other kid can manage but isn't fully comfortable with really difficult terrain. What is the eastern part (Maintenance Gully, Maverick, Free Spirit) like?

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 02-28-2022 at 01:11 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:47 AM   #213
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Has anybody used a visor helmet or OTG goggles with glasses before? If so, what kind? I've used contacts but I hate them. They bother my right eye and I end up removing them by lunch time. I was thinking of getting some smaller glasses and new goggles or a visor helmet. Does anybody have any experience with this?
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 01:01 PM   #214
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Has anybody used a visor helmet or OTG goggles with glasses before? If so, what kind? I've used contacts but I hate them. They bother my right eye and I end up removing them by lunch time. I was thinking of getting some smaller glasses and new goggles or a visor helmet. Does anybody have any experience with this?
Visor helmet here - love it. I think it was a Giro from SkiWest, around $300. Only complaint is that it's not as ventilated as my previous helmet.

OTG goggles I've tried were never great, but the most expensive models with a fan might be okay. You can also order prescription goggles, but I've found the visor helmet to be more versatile.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2022, 03:29 PM   #215
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I was young when Fortress was open but the wind was definitely something that I remember at that hill. It was fun but the wind made for many miserable days.
I’d always get there on the first buses from Calgary and loved it when the wind howled about 2-2:30 when they’d shut down the lifts and give out free passes.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 08:36 AM   #216
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yesterday at lake Louise was perfect. Very little wind, blue skies, warm, but not too warm.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:25 AM   #217
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Yesterday at lake Louise was perfect. Very little wind, blue skies, warm, but not too warm.
It was a great day. I just wish the snow from the past few days was a bit softer as it was really crunchy.

This was my first time out to Lake Louise since they opened that Juniper chair lift and it is fantastic for quick laps through the terrain park. My kids and I managed 5 laps through the park in an hour because there was no wait for the Juniper chair.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 03-06-2022 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:36 AM   #218
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Sun Peaks has been awesome the last week. What a great hill with amazing infrastructure. I can only WISH Fernie develops like this.

I'd highly recommend it to just about anyone for its terrain, restaurants, etc. There's even a covered ODR with a zamboni if you get bored. Basically a fully functional town with a really good ski hill in the middle of it.

Also got to meet and ski with Nancy Greene, which was just about the coolest thing ever. That woman RIPS for a 78 year old.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 11:06 AM   #219
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Sun Peaks has been awesome the last week. What a great hill with amazing infrastructure. I can only WISH Fernie develops like this.

I'd highly recommend it to just about anyone for its terrain, restaurants, etc. There's even a covered ODR with a zamboni if you get bored. Basically a fully functional town with a really good ski hill in the middle of it.

Also got to meet and ski with Nancy Greene, which was just about the coolest thing ever. That woman RIPS for a 78 year old.
Sun Peaks was a goal of mine for a ski trip this season with a friend but the on going Covid situation and the Omicron rise in December scrapped our plans. Hopefully next season.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:42 PM   #220
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
It was a great day. I just wish the snow from the past few days was a bit softer as it was really crunchy.

This was my first time out to Lake Louise since they opened that Juniper chair lift and it is fantastic for quick laps through the terrain park. My kids and I managed 5 laps through the park in an hour because there was no wait for the Juniper chair.
I like the juniper chair for this reason, great palace to get some warm up laps in, or end the day with some easy short runs.

I am a little biased about this chair as juniper jungle is my favourite run. Great place to open it up.