Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2024, 07:04 PM   #21
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a good deal for both sides from a money and security standpoint, but man, look back at the best player 11 years ago and how long it took them to not be that player anymore? It's a huge huge gamble on the team's part that he doesn't get injured and never returns the same. He may have the talent and work ethic, but staying healthy over the course of 162 games is a challenge. Not a fan of these types of deals, but I suppose if they really like what they see from him, and he's 24, if you're going to gamble, he's the type of guy to gamble on. Just not a fan of these long term gambles, especially for a smaller market team who, if things go south, would have their money tied up in someone not worthy of the deal. At least the Yanks can buy guys out, or afford to move on with someone else. Not sure KC can do that.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM   #22
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're KC, you MUST lock up any young high end talent before they bolt for the Yankees. It's the only way to have a chance at being competitive.

He's 23, and baseball is a notoriously older man's game. He'll be fine.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 02:44 PM   #23
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The A's should just fold
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-plan-bay-area
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 03:31 PM   #24
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Article is misleading. The Calgary equivalent would be if MLS wanted to locate in the Calgary area and the stadium was partially bankrolled by the province and that Okotoks was the site favored by the team compared to a site inside the Calgary city limits. Seems as though she's 'talking her own book' as much as anything.

Quote:
The A's ballpark is planned for a nine-acre parcel on the Las Vegas Strip and Goodman said the congestion makes the site less attractive than a larger site in north Las Vegas, which she proposed. However, the mayor and the city do not have jurisdiction over the Strip, which falls under the oversight of Clark County.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 03:38 PM   #25
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

True but this is also happening. The stadium sounds far from a done deal.
https://theathletic.com/5253322/2024...adium-oakland/
Old 02-06-2024, 04:16 PM   #26
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ $870 million renovation/repair job coming to Olympic Stadium, and L'Athletique de Montreal has a nice ring to it...

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:46 PM   #27
jerichozo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Where are my Mariner's fans at? Who's ready to cry!? I know I am.
jerichozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 10:19 AM   #28
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichozo View Post
Where are my Mariner's fans at? Who's ready to cry!? I know I am.
Why? Over Snell?

The M's are cost cutting.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:19 AM   #29
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Somewhat off topic, Netflix is going to be releasing a documentary on the Montreal Expos
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 09:30 AM   #30
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
Somewhat off topic, Netflix is going to be releasing a documentary on the Montreal Expos
Will be interesting.

I think the Expos get fantasized about the 94 season but if it has played out, they probably would have had to get past the Braves in the NLCS (the Braves going to their 4th straight NLCS) and then the Yankees in the World Series. The Yankees were starting their dynasty and also had 70 wins at the time of the strike.

So people blame the strike but there just wasn't the fanbase in Montreal. Jonah Keri's book Up, Up, and Away talks about this in detail.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 06:06 PM   #31
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Getting to Olympic Stadium in the summer was a pain in the butt.

Yes, it was on the main subway line (green) but a decent clip down the line.

Throw in the heavy summer traffic, it took a while to get there, especially of you need to connect via bus or another subway line.

The system is designed to get you in and out of downtown (as most cities are) but not down toward the end of one of the lines.

That said, I think this year's playoffs should appease any 1994 Expos fan.

Baltimore 101 wins; Tampa 99 wins; Atlanta 104 wins; LA Dodgers 100 wins.

Combined playoff record 1-9

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 06:15 PM   #32
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Will be interesting.

I think the Expos get fantasized about the 94 season but if it has played out, they probably would have had to get past the Braves in the NLCS (the Braves going to their 4th straight NLCS) and then the Yankees in the World Series. The Yankees were starting their dynasty and also had 70 wins at the time of the strike.

So people blame the strike but there just wasn't the fanbase in Montreal. Jonah Keri's book Up, Up, and Away talks about this in detail.
for sure we'll never know how they would have done in the playoffs- (although sadly as an Expos fan I could guess- but I don't love the answer)

having said that the team was real deal legit - over their previous 162 games (including the tail end of 1993) that was a 104 win team, and they were hot at the time the season ended

the fanbase issue in Montreal is of course a tricky one- clearly the attendance waned for a long time- in the 80s however they were one of the top drawing teams in the NL .... but the stadium was a problem on so many fronts- nevertheless that was part of the equation

unfortunately Keri has ended up being a sociopath. savardandjokinen and I had a nice chat with him at the Up up and away book signing in Montreal the week of the first set of Jays exhibition games at the big O in 2014
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:47 AM   #33
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Will be interesting.

The Expos where 5-9 against the Braves that season and 6 games up in the NL East. Braves likely would have played CIN or HOU but those two teams were within striking distance of the Wildcard when the season ended so they might not have even made it. Had they, it could have been the 4th time to the NLCS but this is the first year of the Division series and the Braves not coming out of the NL West.

There was and is a fanbase. Just not a fanbase that lives in and around the West Island, works downtown and are willing to take the Metro all the way out to Pie IX to sit inside during summer evenings. The strike was the tipping point for the Expos as a small market team where contrcaction was talked about since 1990 and with an ownership not willing to spend that had an unsuitable building in an unsuitable area in a political climate were separatism was a constant threat after 2 failed constitutional reforms and a looming referendum. A slow economy and high unemployment left no appetite for public money for a new downtown stadium. Baseball was for les maudites anglais.

And then there's the fact that players have to want to come to a place like that.

I was at almost every home game once school ended. I worked at the Big O from 92-96. The Expos were a special team that year and the crowd and feeling inside the stadium was different. It was well known that this was the year and we would lose Walker, Grissom, and Wettleand. The new CBA did nothing to address small market team issues and the Expos put together a real stinker of a season in 1995. This was there time to do something.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 02:51 PM   #34
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

See through pants?
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...s-new-uniforms
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 05:42 PM   #35
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't believe these would pass the initial smell test to have got to this point. Manfred can't do anything right.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:35 AM   #36
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone see the interview with Alex Rodriguez at a basketball game? Guy fell asleep in a tanning bed or something, couldn’t stop laughing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 10:08 AM   #37
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Anyone see the interview with Alex Rodriguez at a basketball game? Guy fell asleep in a tanning bed or something, couldn’t stop laughing.
Lol yeah I saw that too. He's a weird dude.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 07:19 PM   #38
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Renderings out for the new A's Las Vegas ballpark and it's quite something. Would be the smallest park apparently (presumably because of the lack of outfield, but it's unique.

The one aspect I question is no direct sunlight into the park (likely meaning field turf). Plus not sure when it's ultimately put in how that glass would look. Would be fully air conditioned. Interesting concept. $1.5B.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 08:49 PM   #39
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Renderings out for the new A's Las Vegas ballpark and it's quite something. Would be the smallest park apparently (presumably because of the lack of outfield, but it's unique.

The one aspect I question is no direct sunlight into the park (likely meaning field turf). Plus not sure when it's ultimately put in how that glass would look. Would be fully air conditioned. Interesting concept. $1.5B.

I'm not a big Vegas guy but if they build that I'll go for sure.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 08:53 PM   #40
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

That would be the second smallest capacity in MLB. Looks tacky to me.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post: