Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #101
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Last year, AS A 19 YEAR OLD ROOKIE, Bennett got 15 minutes of ice-time and had 18G and 18A. He had what can only be described as terrible puck luck, with multiple posts hit and what? 5 or 6 goals disallowed? Imagining that he will improve from 18 to 22 goals this year, at the veteran age of 20, does not seem like too much of a leap to me.

He also had no wingers. Like none. He might as well have had me on his line. Yet he still managed 18 assists. Despite the fact that his linemates did squat all year. He will have better wingers this year - guaranteed. So it is not hard to imagine that his assist totals will rise. From 18 to 30ish? Not all all difficult to imagine, IMO.

He will also almost certainly get more ice-time this season than he got last year. Getting 15 minutes of TOI as a 19 year old is actually pretty impressive. And he deserved more. He will definitely get more this year and I would bet that it is probably going to be in the 17-18 minute range. And it is probably safe to assume that his PP TOI will rise as well, from the 1:57 he got last year.

Based on these factors, it is not at all unreasonable to assume 50 pts this year. And personally, I would be disappointed if he didn't get at least that many.

Bennett is not a comparable for Schenn. He is on track to be significantly better.
Whose ice time is he going to take?

Monahan 18 (after 19+ minutes the last 160 games) plus
Backlund 16 (after 17:30 in his last 200 games) and
Bennett 16
leaves only 10 minutes for the 4th line.

Have to figure that Gaudreau stays with Monahan and is likely joined by Brouwer.... Backlund and Frolik stay together. So Bennett's line mates will be not be elite scorers.

If you set it as 50 or bust for Bennett you may be setting up for a let down.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #102
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

Bennett 16

Have to figure that Gaudreau stays with Monahan and is likely joined by Brouwer.... Backlund and Frolik stay together. So Bennett's line mates will be not be elite scorers.

I think the most pragmatic thing to do will be to award minutes to Bennett's line from the fourth line which should really be doing only spot duty to give the three scoring lines a break. The top three lines should probably all be sharing about 54 mins of ice time in the duration of a game. Moreover, I think given his age and trajectory that it is reasonable to expect Bennett's production/60 mins to improve over the course of the next few years. And I am not at all convinced that Brouwer will be a fixture on the top line. The key to offensive success in the NHL comes predominantly in pairs, and the logical place for him to play at this juncture will be with Bennett:

Monahan · Gaudreau
Backlund · Frolik
Bennett · Brouwer

This fits more clearly with everything said by management and the new coaching staff in their discussions about what was wrong last year, and how best to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-28-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #103
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

Bennett 16

As Textcritic suggested, most likely from the 4th line.

If you were the coach, it being your first year with a new team and your 2nd crack at the NHL, would you hang your hat on playing the 4th line, or would you look to up Bennett's ice-time? I know which way I would go.

Also, I suspect Brouwer will be playing with Bennett, not on Monahan's line. I actually had a chance to chat with Bennett recently and I asked him about better line-mates this year. One of the first words out of his mouth was Brouwer. And it just makes sense - Monahan and Gaudreau don't need veteran support, they just need someone that can do their job. Bennett, on the other hand, would benefit greatly by having an experienced - and big - player on his line.

Then add either Shinkaruk or Tkachuk on the left side, and that is a pretty decent line.

As long as he remains healthy, I think he's a pretty safe bet for 50 points.

In fact, I'll make a bet with you (condition being that he plays at least 75 games): if he gets at least 50 points, you agree to never mention Hamilton or Frolik in a post for the entire season.

If he doesn't get 50 (again, with at least 75 games played), what stakes do you want?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 03:33 PM   #104
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
As Textcritic suggested, most likely from the 4th line.

If you were the coach, it being your first year with a new team and your 2nd crack at the NHL, would you hang your hat on playing the 4th line, or would you look to up Bennett's ice-time? I know which way I would go.

Also, I suspect Brouwer will be playing with Bennett, not on Monahan's line. I actually had a chance to chat with Bennett recently and I asked him about better line-mates this year. One of the first words out of his mouth was Brouwer. And it just makes sense - Monahan and Gaudreau don't need veteran support, they just need someone that can do their job. Bennett, on the other hand, would benefit greatly by having an experienced - and big - player on his line.

Then add either Shinkaruk or Tkachuk on the left side, and that is a pretty decent line.

As long as he remains healthy, I think he's a pretty safe bet for 50 points.

In fact, I'll make a bet with you (condition being that he plays at least 75 games): if he gets at least 50 points, you agree to never mention Hamilton or Frolik in a post for the entire season.

If he doesn't get 50 (again, with at least 75 games played), what stakes do you want?
You have to thank every one of Ricardo's posts for a year.

Too steep?
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #105
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ That sounds reasonable to me

Ricardodw?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #106
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ That sounds reasonable to me

Ricardodw?
Never going to make even fun bet where I would be put into a position where I was rooting for the Flames or a player on the Flames to fail.

One of the biggest things I predicted wrongly was that the Flames would fall apart when Gio got hurt in 2014-15 . I was extremely glad that I was totally wrong and could join the stretch run and playoff bandwagon.

PS... I would love to post how wrong I was about Hamilton and how he has become a monster in the new system and last year he just didn't fit in with the small high risk game that Hartley wanted him to play.

Last edited by ricardodw; 07-28-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:49 PM   #107
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hamilton was a monster during the latter part of last year.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #108
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Hamilton was a monster during the latter part of last year.
He was good on the PP and put up a lot of points. He was -8 in the 2nd half of the season, Not the team worst over that stretch (Ferland -9 and Bennett -11 were worse).

Absolutely no reason he should not be better 5 on 5 against the players he goes up against.

Schenn had 33 pts in his post All Star 35 games +5 most 2nd half pts on the Flyers <=== attempted to keep thread on topic.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #109
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hamilton was a monster in the latter part of the season. His plus/minus was destroyed by an abysmal where he went - 2 three times in the four game length. I'm not ignoring those games, they count, but it doesn't tell the whole story. That six of your 8 minuses in three games. A blip.

So much upside there. Brodie was an adventure in his own end at 22, - 9 in half a season. Hamilton is the bees knees.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote