Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2016, 12:24 PM   #41
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:
Default Flyers sign Brayden Schenn to 4 year deal ($5.125 mil AAV)

Rolling into a thread and saying "why are we discussing this?" or "I don't like this poster!" makes you look a lot worse than a poster who makes a questionable comparison.

We could all just have fun with it. The discussion about hockey I mean... hockey... as in... the game of hockey.

Kudos to ricardow, it had the potential to be an interesting conversation.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #42
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
TheScorpion is likely a really good kid, but initially he had some pretty outlandish comments and perspectives... The more people began to feel bad for him, the more slack he was given and now seems to be part of the group being very critical, in a inappropriate manner, or headed in that direction.. And comes across as the new authority in everything hockey.. I still am not a fan.
I'd like to apologize to ricardodw for what I said. IgiTang is right on in his assessments, here.

I used to get pummeled on in the same way, but yesterday, I and a couple of posters (Textcritic, doctajones, FDW, etc) really piled onto ricardodw. He tried to make a point which actually had some valid bearing, and I dismissed it out of hand.

We need to move on from this incident. Textcritic, doctajones, Flames Draft Watcher... we all need to treat guys like ricardo with a little more respect. If we don't give them any leverage, there's no room for them to grow into a better poster. Ricardo showed some true intelligence and insight with his posts in this thread, and I thank him for that.

I just want to say sorry to ricardodw. I don't want anyone to feel bad or ashamed... but I've made myself feel these ways through my actions.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:46 PM   #43
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I agree that the ad hominem attacks and bullying should not be tolerated, but for the most part, the responses were simply disagreeing with the argument presented. If a counterargument can be presented by Ricardo or anyone who agrees with him, a decent discussion could be had. Unfortunately more often than not, an entirely different, incoherent argument is presented, or nothing at all.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #44
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I agree that the ad hominem attacks and bullying should not be tolerated, but for the most part, the responses were simply disagreeing with the argument presented. If a counterargument can be presented by Ricardo or anyone who agrees with him, a decent discussion could be had. Unfortunately more often than not, an entirely different, incoherent argument is presented, or nothing at all.
Antagonizing and outright saying "how stupid are you?" and the nature of every response to almost every post of his goes well beyond simply disagreeing. I get what you're saying regarding the majority of replies in this thread, but unfortunately it's become the norm in every thread he posts in..

But no, I don't think it's an interesting discussion. There really is no comparison between the two players. If the discussion was respectful and not seen as an opportunity to pounce, once again..

Then it would be the quick objective numbers, timelines and age which would stand out on the subject.. unfortunately, that was all lost with in the insults..
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 02:30 PM   #45
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Most of the time it's not his opinions that bothers me, but the bizarre comparisons and tendencies to bring up players that have absolutely nothing to do with the conversation at hand (ie: The Schenn/Brouwer hit comparison. What does 30 year old Brouwer have to do with 24 year old Schenn being compared to Backlund/Monahan?)

He's clearly a knowledgeable hockey fan who takes the time to research numbers and share them, but Schenn at $5 million a great deal because the younger, higher potential Monahan is going to get more? Come on. We all know he, a near 10 year veteran on this forum, is smarter than that
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:40 PM   #46
BlackWallStreet
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ricardo = a OG
BlackWallStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #47
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Late to the party I guess, but this seems like a reasonable deal for the Flyers, you've got a young, versatile ~60 point player who can switch between Centre and Wing and hes getting paid almost $1M less a year than Milan Lucic.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #48
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Time for a group hug
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #49
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Time for a group hug
Not if you look like the dude in your avatar, if thats the case then its time for a group....bucket of chicken?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #50
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Late to the party I guess, but this seems like a reasonable deal for the Flyers, you've got a young, versatile ~60 point player who can switch between Centre and Wing and hes getting paid almost $1M less a year than Milan Lucic.
I wouldn't call him a 60 point player just yet. He needed a hell of a second half to get those numbers, let's see if he can do it again.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:11 PM   #51
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Not if you look like the dude in your avatar, if thats the case then its time for a group....bucket of chicken?
It's Fat Bastard! ("Get in mah bellay!") You have to admit he's more pleasant than the old "Facefull of Frosted Flakes and Gallon of Milk Guy" avatar

Edit: Not Fat Bastard

Last edited by doctajones428; 07-27-2016 at 12:54 PM.
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:43 PM   #52
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly, I havnt even looked at his numbers. I've always viewed him as underwhelming.. but nothing to substantiate it tbqh.. perhaps just the Schenn reputation, largely created by his brother and perhaps more so the Toronto media/fans/discussions of Luke being a plug.. an overpayed plug at that... I guess I seen him as schenn plug v2.0.

But looking at his numbers, my opinion has been far off.

Using the Lucic comparison for numbers and $$ is actually quite close. Sure two totally different styles, size and what they bring to the table but.. a helluva lot closer than Monny.

One thing CP has taught me, even though I'm the more knowledgeable hockey fan in my circle.. in the CP circle, there's a learning opportunity.

Some people do need to realize this about themselves as well.

One thing I learned early on. You may have a fast car, but there will always be faster. You maybe a good driver, but there will always be better. Constantly trying to prove fate wrong in these cases will lead to an accident. Check your pride, you're not better than anyone.. it's what I'm living my life by..
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #53
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Ok, we get it. Can we please get this back on topic?
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 10:32 PM   #54
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

That basically nails the point igitang was trying to make. A mod finally says something, instead of telling everyone to play nice and be respectful he responds with the above "we get it, move on". Mod team is equally at fault for some of the bullying that happens around here. Oh well.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 10:40 PM   #55
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I think it goes without saying that we want everyone to be respectful.

Igi made his point. Twice. All I'm trying to do is get the topic back on track.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 10:50 PM   #56
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
That basically nails the point igitang was trying to make. A mod finally says something, instead of telling everyone to play nice and be respectful he responds with the above "we get it, move on". Mod team is equally at fault for some of the bullying that happens around here. Oh well.
OK since you want to continue this conversation let's have at it.
The people that have the most power in changing this place - is the entire community. You don't want people to treat each other poorly? Then stop treating each other poorly. We ain't your parents. How many times do we have to ask people to "be nice"?

To add
- If people object to a post then report it. Igitang didn't report a single post in this thread
- The moderators have several actions we take with posters before we suspend them - including warnings and infractions. These are all private matters between us and the posters - the broader community therefore can't say what actions we have or have not taken.
- We have taken specific actions against posters, including banning some - because of bullying.
- Mods aren't "buddies" with anyone on this site. We try to treat everyone fairly though we are also human.

With regards to this specific poster:
- He invites the reaction through his efforts to take various topics into the narratives that he wants to talk about, such as Dougie Hamilton. This has caused him to develop a certain reputation and cause some posters to be extra sensitive to it. Do people need to be more fair because he actually does raise valid points? Yes. Does he need to take some partial responsibility for this situation because of how he chooses to post? Yes.

Ultimately it comes down respecting each other but also if people are going to make controversial posts, then they should be expected to be challenged.

And again - to reiterate - if you see someone being bullying then report it.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 11:21 PM   #57
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
OK since you want to continue this conversation let's have at it.

With regards to this specific poster:
- He invites the reaction through his efforts to take various topics into the narratives that he wants to talk about, such as Dougie Hamilton. This has caused him to develop a certain reputation and cause some posters to be extra sensitive to it. Do people need to be more fair because he actually does raise valid points? Yes. Does he need to take some partial responsibility for this situation because of how he chooses to post? Yes.
So when a few posters are dog piling on this particular poster they aren't being #######s, they are just being "extra sensitive to it". Right.

I don't even have a big problem with all of the blatant mean spiritedness. Like I already said, a lot of it I find to be amusing. It's just odd that some is allowed and some isn't.

Report a post you don't like. Got it. As far as I can remember I have never done that and I likely never will. Tattletale has never been my thing. Truth be told I don't really understand the rules here because some are so vague. Especially with the PC stuff. That has gotten me in trouble before so I just try my best to stay away from the non hockey stuff.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:27 AM   #58
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones428 View Post
It's Fat Bastard! ("Get in mah bellay!") You have to admit he's more pleasant than the old "Facefull of Frosted Flakes and Gallon of Milk Guy" avatar
It's Ben Stiller from Heavyweights.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:28 AM   #59
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
It's Ben Stiller from Heavyweights.
Dogdeball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2016, 12:41 AM   #60
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
So when a few posters are dog piling on this particular poster they aren't being #######s, they are just being "extra sensitive to it". Right.

I don't even have a big problem with all of the blatant mean spiritedness. Like I already said, a lot of it I find to be amusing. It's just odd that some is allowed and some isn't.

Report a post you don't like. Got it. As far as I can remember I have never done that and I likely never will. Tattletale has never been my thing. Truth be told I don't really understand the rules here because some are so vague. Especially with the PC stuff. That has gotten me in trouble before so I just try my best to stay away from the non hockey stuff.
Reporting a post is not tattletaling.

If you are going to complain about how a poster is treated, that's ok. You have decided to take some responsibility here in some way.

The "report this post" feature is a tool to help this community stay strong, actually, and have things dealt with and nipped in the bud before they become an ongoing issue.

Also, there are some posters here - on both sides of the argument (and I am not talking about Ricardow on any side of it) who are known for making disrespectful and often antagonistic posts. I personally won't reply to their posts or engage them. I don't put them on ignore because they do often have strong points, but I decide not to engage them because of how they carry themselves (just right on that line).

I don't engage Ricardow because I find that his posts personally just don't make a lot of sense and he will often refuse to deviate from his argument, and admit when he maybe hasn't thought about an angle that for others was an obvious miss.

We don't always have to reply to posters we don't like, and we don't always have to use the ignore feature. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the report feature, however. The mods can not go through every single post in every thread and police - they do that fairly well I find, but they don't catch everything. If a post(s) makes you feel that strongly that there should be some mod action required, why not report it?

The only way this community gets better (or at least, doesn't suddenly start to spiral into the toilet) is by each of us taking some responsibility and ownership. It isn't just up to the mods. It is up to each poster who takes the time to be involved here. That is how I have always seen it.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: