Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #161
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird move for Runblad unless he was going to get better money somewhere else, and thus negotiated a contract while under contract with the Hawks. Off to Europe I would presume.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:51 AM   #162
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that's unusual for this time of year.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 07-26-2016 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #163
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Mark Divver reporting that Devils GM Ray Shero and Isles GM Garth Snow were in Foxboro last night to watch Vesey play in his summer league. So with Bowman that is at least 3 GMs that have made the trip to watch him this summer.

Joe Haggerty of CSNNE is claiming that according to the people he talked to that Boston is not a front runner. He cites that Vesey is close to the Hayes family and they relayed the negative experience Jimmy Hayes has had playing for the Bruins so far. He also claims Vesey might be holding a grudge against the Bruins because they assured him they would draft him but ended up not doing so (weird right?).

Haggerty is claiming that according to his sources, Rangers, Devils, and Blackhawks are Vesey's top 3 choices.

Vesey can sign with any team on August 15.

Last edited by sureLoss; 08-11-2016 at 10:43 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2016, 11:05 AM   #164
davidbjordan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Mark Divver reporting that Devils GM Ray Shero and Isles GM Garth Snow were in Foxboro last night to watch Vesey play in his summer league. So with Bowman that is at least 3 GMs that have made the trip to watch him this summer.

Joe Haggerty of CSNNE is claiming that according to the people he talked to that Boston is not a front runner. He cites that Vesey is close to the Hayes family and they relayed the negative experience Jimmy Hayes has had playing for the Bruins so far. He also claims Vesey might be holding a grudge against the Bruins because they assured him they would draft him but ended up not doing so (weird right?).

Haggerty is claiming that according to his sources, Rangers, Devils, and Blackhawks are Vesey's top 3 choices.

Vesey can sign with any team on August 15.
Strange that those two things don't line up to me, were the rangers treating kevin hayes like royalty?
Old 08-11-2016, 11:05 AM   #165
Knut

Exp:

Devils would give him the best chance to play a top 6 role right away
Old 08-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #166
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still half expecting BT to swoop in and sign him to play 2LW this year. The spot is wide open, and Calgary might as well be Siberia if this guy is not interested in media coverage.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:42 AM   #167
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbjordan View Post
Strange that those two things don't line up to me, were the rangers treating kevin hayes like royalty?
The "negative experiences" for Jimmy Hayes was more related to having the extra pressure of being the hometown boy for a large hockey market.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:54 AM   #168
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Adrian Dater @adater
I'm also hearing that Tampa Bay could pull off stealth plan to get Vesey. Stevie Y always scheming

Erik Erlendsson @Erik_Erlendsson
Never underestimate the stealth of Steve Yzerman, but I'd be surprised in this case if he pulled it off
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #169
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Isn't this guy a free agent in like 4 days?
Old 08-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #170
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Isn't this guy a free agent in like 4 days?
Yes he is.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #171
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given how thin the Flames are at left-wing behind Gaudreau, I wouldn't rule out Treliving pull a rabbit out of his hat here.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #172
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Given how thin the Flames are at left-wing behind Gaudreau, I wouldn't rule out Treliving pull a rabbit out of his hat here.
Do we have the cap space for a magic trick though? The ELC bonuses could kill us with Bennett, Tkachuk and Vesey.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:18 PM   #173
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceUppercut View Post
Do we have the cap space for a magic trick though? The ELC bonuses could kill us with Bennett, Tkachuk and Vesey.
A team can go over the cap by their ELC bonuses (and any bonus overage counts against the next season's cap). There's about $14m in bad deals coming off the books in 2017-18.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2016, 10:13 PM   #174
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd put the odds of Vesey signing with a Canadian team at a little less than zero.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:59 PM   #175
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I'd put the odds of Vesey signing with a Canadian team at a little less than zero.
Do you know what odds are?
Old 08-11-2016, 11:53 PM   #176
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2016, 04:28 AM   #177
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
A team can go over the cap by their ELC bonuses (and any bonus overage counts against the next season's cap). There's about $14m in bad deals coming off the books in 2017-18.
The bonus cushion only allows teams to exceed the cap by 7.5% in performance bonuses. You are correct if the bonus is achieved and the team is still over the cap because of the performance bonus the overage will be applied to next season.

For the 2016-2017 season, the bonus cushion will be $5.475 million (7.5% of $73 million).

Assuming Vesey will get the max bonuses allowed in an ELC, Vesey, Bennett, and Tkachuk will have a combined bonuses:

Vesey - $2.85 million
Bennett - $2.3 million
Tkachuk - $0.85 million
Total - $6 million

So $6 million - $5.475 million = $525k in cap space the Flames would need to have free or free up just to fit the performance bonuses of those 3 on the roster. Plus each one's base salary of $925k each.

Then you also have performance bonuses for guys like Shinkaruk ($212.5k), Jankowski ($500k), Anderson ($182.5k), Pollock ($232.5k), and Mangiapane ($145k) that could muddy up the cap picture as well if they play for the big club.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2016, 06:56 AM   #178
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I know Buffalo has/had a ton of picks, but pretty weird to just light one on fire like this. Good work by Nashville to get a 3rd round pick out of this. You'd think Buffalo should have pushed for some type of conditions where they'd get something back or give something less (wouldn't have worked in this case since it was a 2016 pick) if he didn't sign.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #179
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
So I know Buffalo has/had a ton of picks, but pretty weird to just light one on fire like this. Good work by Nashville to get a 3rd round pick out of this. You'd think Buffalo should have pushed for some type of conditions where they'd get something back or give something less (wouldn't have worked in this case since it was a 2016 pick) if he didn't sign.

Meh, I actually don't mind it. The chances of that third round pick becoming a player are pretty slim. In my mind it's a worthwhile risk to take.

I don't think Buffalo can be ruled out yet either.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #180
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a fan and I think he's recieved bad advice from his agents.

I think there is a lot of hype about this guy and he'd better become a heck of a player.

He sounds like the forward version of Justin Schultz to me. Big hype, lots of drama