Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2015, 01:47 PM   #1101
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySkittles View Post
Bluechippers to me are guys like Bennett, Nylander, TT, Drouin, Vasilevski, Reinhart, etc. I just view Jankowski as a underrated prospect vs a bluechipper right now.
One of these things is not like the other.
What has TT done to deserve to be part of that group?
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2015, 01:52 PM   #1102
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

At any rate, I still contend that we will not see Jankowskis full offensive potntial until he turns pro.

He's done a fantastic job honing his defensive skills in Providence as that is the type of system they play in. I'm willing to predict that he's going to blow up offensively in Calgary's system. He play the game the right way which is what Hartley and the Flames want but the reigns are loosened a bit compared to Providence. So I fully expect him to Boom out of the gate once he plays in Stockton.

I wonder if he'll actually play in this years prospect camp.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:53 PM   #1103
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
At any rate, I still contend that we will not see Jankowskis full offensive potntial until he turns pro.

He's done a fantastic job honing his defensive skills in Providence as that is the type of system they play in. I'm willing to predict that he's going to blow up offensively in Calgary's system. He play the game the right way which is what Hartley and the Flames want but the reigns are loosened a bit compared to Providence. So I fully expect him to Boom out of the gate once he plays in Stockton.

I wonder if he'll actually play in this years prospect camp.
This would be the first year, no?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #1104
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
No, it would be his third or fourth. Missed last year due to an injury along side Gillies. Perhaps you're thinking of the young stars tourney? In that case, he hasn't played yet because of NCAA crap.

I only wonder because Treliving said last year he's not a fan of running the older kids through the camp that have been through it a couple of times.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #1105
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He was at camp 2 years ago.

Here last year, but injured.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:57 PM   #1106
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, it would be his third or fourth. Missed last year due to an injury along side Gillies. Perhaps you're thinking of the young stars tourney?

I only wonder because Treliving said last year he's not a fan of running the older kids through the camp that have been through it a couple of times.
Considering he was injured last year, and Treliving wasn't here the prior year, I would think he would want to see Jankowski. Especially since the summer camp is the only chance they get with the college guys.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #1107
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, it would be his third or fourth. Missed last year due to an injury along side Gillies. Perhaps you're thinking of the young stars tourney? In that case, he hasn't played yet because of NCAA crap.

His first actually playing though? I thought he was either not there or hurt every year so far. Maybe I just don't remember him playing. I know he was hurt last year but was at the camp
Old 05-24-2015, 01:59 PM   #1108
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Considering he was injured last year, and Treliving wasn't here the prior year, I would think he would want to see Jankowski. Especially since the summer camp is the only chance they get with the college guys.
I'm going to try to dredge up the video on the Flames website but I feel like Treliving was pretty specific to the providence boys that he really did not want them involved too heavily in the camp.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2015, 01:59 PM   #1109
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySkittles View Post

Bluechippers to me are guys like Bennett, Nylander, TT, Drouin, Vasilevski, Reinhart, etc. I just view Jankowski as a underrated prospect vs a bluechipper right now.
That's a real mixed bag of players.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #1110
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious to know how many of the posters here complaining about the Jankowski pick even watched him play last season. Providence is one of the most defensive minded teams in the NCAA...

I agree his offensive statistics are not overwhelming, however anybody who spent anytime actually watching the guy play should at least notice a few of the following:
- He was used in nearly every situation imaginable including the PP, PK and protecting leads in the dying seconds of games.
- He is very strong at face-offs, something the Calgary Flames need to improve on drastically moving forward.
- He has the frame to be physically dominant if he continues to put the weight on and fill out.
- He has great hockey sense and his positioning is very sound.
- He has very good hands, as showcased by a few of his highlight reel goals during the regular season and in particular one of the goals he scored during the frozen four.
- His coach (the guy who lead Providence to the national title despite being a far less talented team in terms of individual talent) absolutely raves about him.

Mark Jankowski was one of Providence's best players when the occasion mattered most. He was outstanding during the NCAA regionals and the frozen four.

Who cares if he hasn't played an NHL game yet and Maata and Teravainen have? He's 20 years old and was stated as a project from day one.

I'll reserve judgement until he's actually played a season or two of professional hockey.
dieHARDflameZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #1111
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
His first actually playing though? I thought he was either not there or hurt every year so far. Maybe I just don't remember him playing. I know he was hurt last year but was at the camp
First year he was definitely playing. I remember the post scrimmage interview with Kristen Hallett where he dripped sweat on her and she made a thing about it.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #1112
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Holy hindsight Batman! What NHL ready kids did the Flames pass on? You don't get NHL ready kids at the 14th pick, and if you do, that is a massive fluke. Most teams that play their 14th pick the following year are pushing their prospects and probably not doing them favors long term. What players did the Flames pass on and just how badly are they teaming up the NHL? I don't see anyone outside of Hertl and Maatta that has really impressed all that much after the Flames original spot at 14. Both are good young talents, but they are still finding their way in the NHL as way, and those are two kids that have NHL size in their favor. Also, do you honestly think it was in the cards for the Flames to have a couple young kids step into an environment that looked like it could be a few years of endless losing? I don't think they saw anyone available in the draft as being a player that should play in the NHL for the Calgary Flames.

What you appear to be missing, or have completely forgot, is the Flames were drafting for need, long term. Unless you're Edmonton, you don't draft for what kid is going to step in and help your squad that fall. You think about what is going to help your team become successful in the long term. The Flames saw a center with size and skill, something they have been lacking for two decades. They went with that kid, recognizing that he was going to take some time to bake and, with any luck, would turn into a NHL player. They appear to be right on track in that regard.

And when you say substantial minutes for the Blackhawks you mean the player with the 17th most ice time per game in these playoffs. That is the equivalent of Josh Jooris to the Flames in these playoffs. I think you're trying to find data that supports your hypothesis, but that data just isn't there. Teravainen will probably find a place with the Hawks for the foreseeable future, but it probably isn't on his amazing talent and ability to produce and is more likely because they are in cap hell and need all the players they can get on entry level contracts. Like Jiri said, Teravainen is putting up a Baertschi like performance. We'll see how long that works for the Hawks.
hyperbole aside, there are a number of players slotted in at 14 that have been playing in the NHL. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html

not hindsight at all; i said I preferred TT or Matta in this very thread just after the pick was made.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #1113
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First year he was definitely playing. I remember the post scrimmage interview with Kristen Hallett where he dripped sweat on her and she made a thing about it.
That's right! Haha. And he tried picking her up on camera
Old 05-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #1114
JohnnySkittles
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
That's a real mixed bag of players.
Well stuff like this is always just opinions. Nobodies going to agree 100% with everyone's list, similar to how draft reports are all over the board from scout to scout.
JohnnySkittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #1115
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Let's remember too that it's not just Jankowski vs. those other guys but Jankowski + Sieloff vs. those other guys. Are we better off having both a project forward who may be a home run plus a guy that projects to be a solid NHL d-man or just one guy who's currently a little ahead developmentally? It's too bad that Sieloff basically lost a whole year but he definitely adds value to the trade.
station is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to station For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #1116
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Imagine if that was a Russian goaltender? This site would have gone China Syndrome.
Speaking of Russian goaltenders, we could have picked Andrei Vasilevskiy at 19 overall in the 2012 draft. He's now the backup tender for the Lightening but of course he was rushed by that impatient Yzerman.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=155331

Others that have carved out NHL jobs that we could have picked are Girgensons, Ceci, Wilson, Hertl, and Maatta.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #1117
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found the Treliving video on sitting older guys out, now I need to ask how do I load up non youtube videos.

EDIT: NVM, it's not the video where Treliving is talking about Jankowski.

Last edited by dammage79; 05-24-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #1118
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keeping #14 and drafting Ceci looks good using hindsight.

6'3 210lb right shooting, mobile defenseman who is already playing 2nd pairing minutes on a playoff team at 21 years old. Yeah, sign me up for that.

However, I'm still quite content to see how Jankowski pans out.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #1119
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Speaking of Russian goaltenders, we could have picked Andrei Vasilevskiy at 19 overall in the 2012 draft. He's now the backup tender for the Lightening but of course he was rushed by that impatient Yzerman.
lol that's who he was talking about.

If we had picked a goalie in the first round that year, a Russian goalie at that, the fury on this board would have been much worse then it was about Jankowski. That's his point.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2015, 02:56 PM   #1120
JohnnySkittles
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=155331

Others that have carved out NHL jobs that we could have picked are Girgensons, Ceci, Wilson, Hertl, and Maatta.
This sounds oddly familiar.
JohnnySkittles is offline   Reply With Quote