Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2023, 04:54 PM   #181
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

My golf game got a lot better when I started yoga.

Like you I don't give a F about connecting with my center.
Old 10-24-2023, 06:02 PM   #182
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I started doing Yoga a few years ago with my wife. Just a beginner class. I liked it, and I found it pretty relaxing also. Yes, it definitely improved my core and flexibility after a few months.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2023, 06:05 PM   #183
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's easier to accept if you just call it stretching and isometric exercise.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 08:41 PM   #184
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm planning to start adding in some yoga soon, never have before. My new gym is opening mid November and will have a lot of yoga options built into the membership, so planning to do that.
Glad to hear it can help with golf! Now I'm sold.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 04:30 AM   #185
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I haven't done yoga, my wife took the teaching course a few years ago but didn't keep up with it.

I have a friend who has diagnosed FASD, he has difficulty moving, was always shaky in his movements, and has found that chair yoga really helped. In fact, he went on to take the teaching course and is now the most popular chair yoga instructor in the area.

I haven't incorporated it, but maybe in the future? I'm trying not to get too far ahead of myself.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2023, 09:10 PM   #186
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I came across a health clinic that does ARX resistance training. It claims that you can do in minutes what takes hours of exercise. It uses AI and tailored resistance.

Anyone here try this and see good results? This was the place I saw

https://aeonfuturehealth.com/technol...ance-training/
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 09:45 PM   #187
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

That sounds like a big old scam
Old 10-26-2023, 09:01 AM   #188
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I came across a health clinic that does ARX resistance training. It claims that you can do in minutes what takes hours of exercise. It uses AI and tailored resistance.

I'm not sure about the ARX specifically, but that seems questionable at best.

Regarding the clinic overall, my wife has some friends that go and wanted to give it a try, but after looking into it more, the value proposition is horrendous. Turns out one friend is a social media "promoter", so most if not all of her treatments are comped and the other is just obscenely wealthy and costs aren't a concern.

It is a wholistic approach and having all of that coordinated from a single touch point does have value, but I figure the costs are 3-5X what someone could do on a more ala carte basis with things like a trainer, app-based diet plan, heck, even telehealth HRT...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2023, 09:18 AM   #189
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Sounds like a scam, unfortunately/fortunately there are no short cuts with getting fit. Put in the work, reap the rewards.
Old 10-26-2023, 10:06 AM   #190
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Sounds like a scam, unfortunately/fortunately there are no short cuts with getting fit. Put in the work, reap the rewards.
Yup. There is no free lunch.

(But after a long and strenuous workout, there is usually a big lunch!)
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2023, 03:10 PM   #191
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks all. I was on the fence. Seemed too good to be true.

My wife saw a red flag on their instagram. No before and after shots of people. Just shots of ripped people.

Guess its back to the gym for me!
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 04:00 PM   #192
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah sounds scammy to me. The only way to achieve the results you want to see is putting in the required sweat equity, combined with optimal diet and sleep habits. Anybody promising shortcuts is trying to make a quick buck by preying on people. OldDutch - just put the required work in the traditional way, you'll thank yourself later.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2023, 04:32 PM   #193
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks all. I was on the fence. Seemed too good to be true.

My wife saw a red flag on their instagram. No before and after shots of people. Just shots of ripped people.

Guess its back to the gym for me!
There is a way to supercharge your workouts, but there is no shortcut.

Yoga is fantastic and it's surprising how ripped some instructors are with basically yoga and calisthenics only. On a side note, I should get back into it. It was a fantastic way for me to reduce migraines (tension and weather).

Supercharging a workout wise, you could use a 2D/3D/4D vibration plate. It's a catalyst and doesn't work on its own.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Anyone that says you can use it and lose weight is absolutely snake oil selling you. However, it's a fantastic method to rapidly increase circulation + amplify a warm up allowing you to get ready to start working out faster/better warmed up. This may allow you to go harder in a shorter period of time while also reducing your risk of injuries making each hour of workout more efficient. IMO, it is also a pretty decent cool down/recovery device as well.

I personally use this type of devices more for recovery purposes, but the anecdotes I've read of people using it as a part of their warm up seem to make sense to me. The only "short cuts" from this type of device is effective warm up and efficient recovery. It doesn't directly contribute that much towards a body's actual physical exertion IMO. (But I am no expert on the research on this subject). The most annoying facet relating to this thing though is that my leg hairs get really itchy with that electrical style of itchiness after using it.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2023, 11:12 AM   #194
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any downtown recommendations? I find myself newly working downtown by 5th Ave place and coming into the office is mandatory. I'd like to start doing 10am or 2pm somewhere. I don't have a gaurantee on my contract, so cancellation needs to be reasonable. I think it may be worth starting with personal trainer sessions for accountability and form.

36, mildly obese, small range of motion (shallow squats due to Achilles tightness), and carry weight in my chest and hips now.

Goals:
Mobility, muscle growth, and self esteem with a healthier look
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 11:38 AM   #195
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I'm not sure about the ARX specifically, but that seems questionable at best.

Regarding the clinic overall, my wife has some friends that go and wanted to give it a try, but after looking into it more, the value proposition is horrendous. Turns out one friend is a social media "promoter", so most if not all of her treatments are comped and the other is just obscenely wealthy and costs aren't a concern.

It is a wholistic approach and having all of that coordinated from a single touch point does have value, but I figure the costs are 3-5X what someone could do on a more ala carte basis with things like a trainer, app-based diet plan, heck, even telehealth HRT...
I have someone on Facebook that is really pumping this Aeon stuff right now. Seems a little outlandish to me
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 11:56 AM   #196
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I started doing Yoga a few years ago with my wife. Just a beginner class. I liked it, and I found it pretty relaxing also. Yes, it definitely improved my core and flexibility after a few months.
Is there really a lot of flatulence in yoga classes?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2023, 01:52 PM   #197
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
Any downtown recommendations? I find myself newly working downtown by 5th Ave place and coming into the office is mandatory. I'd like to start doing 10am or 2pm somewhere. I don't have a gaurantee on my contract, so cancellation needs to be reasonable. I think it may be worth starting with personal trainer sessions for accountability and form.

36, mildly obese, small range of motion (shallow squats due to Achilles tightness), and carry weight in my chest and hips now.

Goals:
Mobility, muscle growth, and self esteem with a healthier look
See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
If you wanna lose weight, get on the treadmill, would be my recommendation. There's really nothing else like it. Even where I'm at, when I creep up a couple pounds, I just hit the treadmill a couple days in a row and it's right gone. Nothing too crazy either, 40 mins / 5+ km.
Assuming you have the space for one, of course. Don't have to buy a top of the line one either, mine was $800 and is perfect for my needs. You'll blow through that much on gym membership and personal trainer fees in a few months and be no further ahead.

(Don't start at 40 mins / 5+ km though, that's what I do now)
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 01:57 PM   #198
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Anyone incorporate yoga into their fitness routines?

I always thought yoga was dumb and was dismissive of it. I started doing it earlier this year and now do it a couple of times every week in addition to cardio/weights. My flexibility has really improved, I've gotten stronger overall and I actually find it really enjoyable, especially when I reach those little milestones of progress (I did my first handstand in yoga last week) I still don't get a F about any of the chanting, mindfulness or spirituality crap that some people get into during their yoga practice but physically, it's been great.
DDPYoga

My life is so busy that I can't seem to find time to do my workouts but when life was a little more calm I was doing this daily and I was in the best shape of my life. I was stronger, flexibility was off the charts and my endurance was impressive too.

Their tag line is "It ain't your momma's yoga" because it truly is different than traditional yoga but just as effective and more.

You don't go into to ladder and feel the clouds parting from the energy of your fingertips. No. You go into "Touchdown!"

There was a fairly active thread on it here at one point.

Last edited by Buff; 10-30-2023 at 02:00 PM.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 02:07 PM   #199
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
See below:

Assuming you have the space for one, of course. Don't have to buy a top of the line one either, mine was $800 and is perfect for my needs. You'll blow through that much on gym membership and personal trainer fees in a few months and be no further ahead.

(Don't start at 40 mins / 5+ km though, that's what I do now)
Sorry, but this really isn't good advice.
If the person's goal is muscle growth & mobility in movements like squats, this does nothing.
Even for just losing weight, prioritizing strength training over just cardio is proven to be more effective.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2023, 02:16 PM   #200
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Sorry, but this really isn't good advice.
If the person's goal is muscle growth & mobility in movements like squats, this does nothing.
Even for just losing weight, prioritizing strength training over just cardio is proven to be more effective.
I have seen similar advice about strength training but the results for me personally speak otherwise. I can only really go off personal experience. If you're obese, the first thing to do is get not obese, then it's time to worry about muscle growth and personal trainers, IMO.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote