Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2017, 12:31 AM   #1221
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
You are a Riders fan. There is nothing more embarrassing than that.
What the f....? Why textcritic? There are plenty of us in here....no need to throw stones.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:54 AM   #1222
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToewsFan View Post
I hate to say this but Smith is not the answer to the Flames inadequate goaltending. He will lead you to the land of the first round exit. I hope Jon Gillies or Tyler Parsons are going to progress sooner than later. The Flames need a new Kipper. If they find him, the Flames are Conference Finals bound. This team needs a good goalie to shatter the glass window, and reach the next level. Mike Smith is not the answer.
Seriously though, I believe the Flames know this and is a big reason why we didn't back up the truck to a guy like Bishop for 6 or 7 years. This is a stop gap, likely the best option we have until Gillies, Rittich or Parsons develops. If Smith performs well and our team does well while he is here, it was a great move by Tre. The salary is right and so is the term, can't argue too much here.

Last edited by foshizzle11; 07-09-2017 at 08:04 AM.
foshizzle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foshizzle11 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #1223
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
Rittich isn't going back to the Czech League. I seriously can't believe people have Gillies > Rittich. Gillies missed almost a whole year of development. He needs at least 2 or 3 more years in the AHL. Rittich has shown he could graduate as soon as this year to a backup role. And Rittich is only 24 years old. 1 year older than Gillies and technically 2 years further in development. Rittich > Gillies imo and I don't think it's even close.
It's not even a numbers thing.

Rittich passes my eye test more. Just seems calmer and sharper in net.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #1224
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that pretty much everyone who watched the Heat last year would agree that Rittich was the superior goalie.

The disconnect comes from the fact that Gillies is perceived to have the higher upside. Rightly or wrongly, I agree with that assessment.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 12:00 PM   #1225
zoom
Farm Team Player

Exp:

any guesses as to when the Penticton roster will be released?
zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #1226
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn't NHL 17 when picking players

From all accounts Mrazek is a cancer, reports of him blaming and shaming his teammates on goals must be true if all 30 GM's didn't want him.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #1227
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom View Post
any guesses as to when the Penticton roster will be released?

No idea. But it is probably posted in the Rookie Tournament thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #1228
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Definitely not Corey Price, possibly not even Carey Price
That would be just like the Flames to get the crappy brother....again!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #1229
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be very, very interested to see who ends up with the better long term goaltending: Calgary or Phoenix...

Phoenix saw a guy in Raanta who has proven he can play in the NHL, and spent some significant assets to bring him in as their ling term starter.

Instead of spending assets to solve their long term solution now, the Flames picked up Phoenix's current #1 as a bridge band-aid in hopes that they can develop a starter for free from their own system, having at least one or two guys who look like good prospects at this time.

History has shown that the jump from junior or even the AHL to the NHL is huge, with the majority of even highly touted prospects failing to become legitimate starters. This gives Phoenix a big edge at this point, IMO. But, obviously, it'll take 2 or 3 years to conclusively determine.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #1230
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
I'll be very, very interested to see who ends up with the better long term goaltending: Calgary or Phoenix...

Phoenix saw a guy in Raanta who has proven he can play in the NHL, and spent some significant assets to bring him in as their ling term starter.

Instead of spending assets to solve their long term solution now, the Flames picked up Phoenix's current #1 as a bridge band-aid in hopes that they can develop a starter for free from their own system, having at least one or two guys who look like good prospects at this time.

History has shown that the jump from junior or even to the NHL is huge, with the majority of even highly touted prospects failing to become legitimate starters. This gives Phoenix a big edge at this point, IMO. But, obviously, it'll take 2 or 3 years to conclusively determine.
Very true, but the other thing the Flames have done is show a ton of faith to players that are within this system.

The Smith signing is equivalent to firing a warning shot off the bow of Rittich, Gillies and Parsons:

"Theres two jobs here. Come and take them."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #1231
Flamenfame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderRowdy View Post
Lol your so delusional. Your posts are so ridiculous i would consider deactivating your account. Totally laughable your not even funny
Maybe learn to reply like a adult when in disagreement like the other posters did on my thoughts on Smith. I don't see how name calling and flaming lands you any credibility. And it's you're
Flamenfame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamenfame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 01:17 PM   #1232
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

History has shown that the jump from junior or even the AHL to the NHL is huge, with the majority of even highly touted prospects failing to become legitimate starters. This gives Phoenix a big edge at this point, IMO. But, obviously, it'll take 2 or 3 years to conclusively determine.
I think the Flames have the better starter in the short term. And they have the higher-ceiling prospects for the long term.

But one of the goalies has to actually make that jump for their strategy to pay off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #1233
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I think the Flames have the better starter in the short term. And they have the higher-ceiling prospects for the long term.

But one of the goalies has to actually make that jump for their strategy to pay off.
That is probably how the Flames have approached their goaltending question heading into this season and beyond, although I imagine they have also indicated that they are still evaluating, and not ready to make a long term commitment. If in two years there is no viable option for the Flames in goal from within their system they also still retain the option to improve from outside if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #1234
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenfame View Post
Maybe learn to reply like a adult when in disagreement like the other posters did on my thoughts on Smith. I don't see how name calling and flaming lands you any credibility. And it's you're
It's "an adult", not "a adult"... ; )
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #1235
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
As in you think Smith is better than Raanta short term? Not in my opinion. Raanta put up better numbers than Lundquist the last two years for NYR, and Lundquist is better than Smith.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #1236
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
As in you think Smith is better than Raanta short term? Not in my opinion. Raanta put up better numbers than Lundquist the last two years for NYR, and Lundquist is better than Smith.
But not at starter games played. Elliot is a top five NHL goalie at non NHL starter games played.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #1237
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
context
Old 07-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #1238
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
In 54 games total over those 2 years, which is less than either Smith or Lundqvist played last year alone.

With goaltenders sample-size and games played is huge. Plus, if Raanta is better than Lundqvist because he had better numbers, doesn't that mean Smith is better too? Seems to make zero sense to say .922 in 29 games > .910 in 57 games > .914 in 55 games
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #1239
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Rangers thought Raanta was better than Lundqvist, Raanta would still be a Ranger
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #1240
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's some context: between March 6 and March 25 last season, Raanta started 9 of 10 games, and the last 8 in a row. Definitely a starter's work load. In that stretch, he had collective sv% of .923.

Like I said, time will tell. And the vastly different defense corps they'll play behind will muddle things. But having watched some (but not a tonne) of both goalies last year, Raanta looked like he had better game.

Last edited by Mike F; 07-09-2017 at 03:23 PM.