Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #421
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

This seems like as good of thread as any . . .

I received a bunch of copyright notices from Shaw on Nov 28. I only discovered them today as I don't really use Shaw's email. Interestingly, I use a VPN (Unblock-US), and while I don't really know anything about IPs or DNSs or even the Internet, it was my understanding that a VPN shielded torrent activity?

It's also possible I forgot to enable the VPN, as I primarily use it to get US Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Here's the email (the link leads to an error 404 page, which in and of itself seems unusual):

Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #422
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You forgot to enable it, it looks like. Nothing to be done now, be more diligent in the future.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:02 PM   #423
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

UnblockUs is a proxy, not a VPN.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:03 PM   #424
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The normal Unblock-Us service isn't a VPN. They offer VPN, but when you say you use it to get US Netflix I'm assuming you just have their DNS service. It won't protect you when torrenting.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #425
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

It would appear I've never once used their VPN service, then, even though I've been paying for it.

Probably a good thing that I haven't passed on my technologically inept genes to future generations.

Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #426
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

As is possible, for these purposes anyway, it is better to stream than to torrent download. Of course, streaming often results in poorer quality content, but as you are not sharing the copyrighted material, to my knowledge they leave you alone. It's the sharing of the file they 'bust' you for.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #427
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
As is possible, for these purposes anyway, it is better to stream than to torrent download. Of course, streaming often results in poorer quality content, but as you are not sharing the copyrighted material, to my knowledge they leave you alone. It's the sharing of the file they 'bust' you for.
You will get the letters for streaming to, it is treated the same as downloading.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #428
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My understanding is the copyright infringement notices are for sharing content, not downloading. Torrent software would allow sharing by default. The media companies run nodes that download their content from torrents (where they can grab your IP), then verify the bytes they got from you in fact violate their copyright, and then send out the notice to your ISP.

If one were to stream "illegal" content, the only way media companies could find your IP is if they somehow got a warrant to raid the physical servers hosting the streaming content, and got your IP from the logs. While this is in the realm of possibility, I doubt this scenario has actually happened.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2015, 06:45 PM   #429
MonsieurFish
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I get these notices quite frequently as well - are they something to be concerned about it? From what I've read, Shaw is obligated to pass them along to the customer, but I wasn't sure if much more would come of them beyond that?
MonsieurFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #430
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

The Telus notice used to indicate that they would not pass along any customer info unless instructed to by law enforcement. Of course by the time they decide to get law enforcement involved- you could be in big trouble.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:09 AM   #431
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only time I've received them is when I forget to run peerblock. I understand it isn't perfect protection, but it is easy, free and seams to work. Highly recommended as a bare minimum if you are torrenting.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #432
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
This seems like as good of thread as any . . .

I received a bunch of copyright notices from Shaw on Nov 28. I only discovered them today as I don't really use Shaw's email. Interestingly, I use a VPN (Unblock-US), and while I don't really know anything about IPs or DNSs or even the Internet, it was my understanding that a VPN shielded torrent activity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
UnblockUs is a proxy, not a VPN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
The normal Unblock-Us service isn't a VPN. They offer VPN, but when you say you use it to get US Netflix I'm assuming you just have their DNS service. It won't protect you when torrenting.
To clarify, the Unblock-Us VPN is only useful for getting around geographic blocks, but on a network other than your own. It doesn't provide any protection whatsoever. The thing with Unblock-Us is that as soon as you use it on a different network/device, that IP address gets registered and your home network won't work anymore.

The VPN lets you use your phone on the cell network and still get US netflix, for example. Or your laptop in a hotel room. That sort of thing, and all without messing up your home configuration.

I now that it is confusing, and while it is technically a type of VPN, it isn't the type that tunnels your traffic and helps hide your browsing, IP, etc.

Edit: And the VPN is included for free to all Unblock-Us subscribers, so you can enjoy the benefits of Unblock-Us while away from home.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 12-12-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #433
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
It would appear I've never once used their VPN service, then, even though I've been paying for it.

Probably a good thing that I haven't passed on my technologically inept genes to future generations.

You should really follow Shaw's advice and secure your WiFi, so these nefarious strangers who totally aren't you don't use your network for these shenanigans.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2015, 12:07 AM   #434
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just wondering, should I use a vpn if I'm accessing the channels from Plex? For both watching geo-locked content and to keep from getting notices from my ISP. Thanks.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:58 AM   #435
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure how Plex channels work exactly, but as long as they are stream only, you are as safe as one can be when illegally consuming copyright content. If you posses a copy of that content or share bits of that content you are less safe.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:09 AM   #436
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #437
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Plex web app used HTTPS (no idea about any other apps though) , so you should be safe from any Plex related issues, unless Plex itself gets a demand from law enforcement to release your info. I have no idea if they have protected themselves from this, so it may or may not have any real impact if it happens.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:30 AM   #438
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
The Plex web app used HTTPS (no idea about any other apps though) , so you should be safe from any Plex related issues, unless Plex itself gets a demand from law enforcement to release your info. I have no idea if they have protected themselves from this, so it may or may not have any real impact if it happens.
I am not sure that protects your privacy. The https is the connection between your device and your server, I don't believe it encrypts traffic between the server and the channel provider.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:37 AM   #439
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
I am not sure that protects your privacy. The https is the connection between your device and your server, I don't believe it encrypts traffic between the server and the channel provider.
This is true, I don't use plex for channels like this, so I kind of forgot that other people did.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #440
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, the Plex channels just easily connect you to a bunch of streaming sites, so it's essentially the exact same as watching in a browser. I wouldn't worry too much as they only seem to be going after the "sharers" right now, not the watchers.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote