Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2024, 12:21 PM   #5301
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
WestJet just did an equipment substitution in PVR. Going from a 787 to a 737-800. Chaos currently in progress.
That would suck. Likely around half the people are going to be left behind.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 06:07 PM   #5302
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Or half of them have someone sitting on their lap.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 06:10 PM   #5303
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
And with it being spring break and Holy Week combined finding places for those folks nearly impossible. We are here now, it’s a zoo in pvr.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:20 PM   #5304
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

We managed to be lucky to be on the 737 out. Total chaos and angry people at the PVR ticket counter. Hearing some people may be stuck until Saturday.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 08:08 AM   #5305
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
WestJet just did an equipment substitution in PVR. Going from a 787 to a 737-800. Chaos currently in progress.
Why did they decide to do that?
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:45 AM   #5306
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve been trying to figure that out. Perhaps the aircraft nerds can chime in. Maybe it went mechanical? I saw on the other thread that the 787 servicing this route had an aborted takeoff in YYC last week due to warning lights.
Old 04-01-2024, 01:35 PM   #5307
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can anyone who has done the Calgary to Hawaii via Vancouver connection recently chime in on how it went? We have a trip coming up and it’s been a few years since I’ve had to do that connection and I suspect it’s changed a bit post renovations at the Van airport.

Our flight from Calgary lands at 9:10, and flight to Maui leaves at 10:30. Presuming everything is on time, and assuming our luggage gets checked all the way through, I suspect we can make it but it seems tight. Last time I recall sprinting across the airport with a baby and all our baby gear and just barely making it. Kids are older now and less “stuff”, but still likely will have a car seat we are bringing on the plane for our youngest (2.5) to sit in.

Worth making a YYC express appointment for the security line at US connections? How long does it typically take to get to the connection point from a domestic WestJet arrival gate?

Anyone used the mobile passport control app offered by US Homeland to expedite preclearance? Worth using it?

Any other tips on making sure we make the connection?
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 01:53 PM   #5308
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
Can anyone who has done the Calgary to Hawaii via Vancouver connection recently chime in on how it went? We have a trip coming up and it’s been a few years since I’ve had to do that connection and I suspect it’s changed a bit post renovations at the Van airport.

Our flight from Calgary lands at 9:10, and flight to Maui leaves at 10:30. Presuming everything is on time, and assuming our luggage gets checked all the way through, I suspect we can make it but it seems tight. Last time I recall sprinting across the airport with a baby and all our baby gear and just barely making it. Kids are older now and less “stuff”, but still likely will have a car seat we are bringing on the plane for our youngest (2.5) to sit in.

Worth making a YYC express appointment for the security line at US connections? How long does it typically take to get to the connection point from a domestic WestJet arrival gate?

Anyone used the mobile passport control app offered by US Homeland to expedite preclearance? Worth using it?

No tips but I did it the first time I went to Hawaii and it was an absolute disaster. Running through YVR nearly the whole way, freaking out in customs that we were gonna miss our flight.. awful.

I will never fly to Hawaii again unless it's direct.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 01:58 PM   #5309
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I definitely wouldn't do it with that tight of a connection.

There's a direct Calgary to Maui flight twice a week iirc
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 01:58 PM   #5310
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
No tips but I did it the first time I went to Hawaii and it was an absolute disaster. Running through YVR nearly the whole way, freaking out in customs that we were gonna miss our flight.. awful.

I will never fly to Hawaii again unless it's direct.

If you miss the flight due to a short layover and customs going slowly are you SOL or do you just get moved to the next available flight without a lot of headache?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 02:38 PM   #5311
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I did it with a three year old and a one year old and it was an absolute disaster. Unless you run from your arrival gate all the way to the international terminal and then through security you're going to be very tight in making the time. You're guaranteed to not have time to pick up a drink or a snack for the flight.

Without the extra kid gear you might be okay but if you have it be prepared to have them search your car seat or stroller, take swabs, and x-ray it.

Oddly enough, my wife asked if we should go to Hawaii again in September and I said I'm never going with WestJet during the Hawaii off-season as they only have connections through YVR. Direct flights when they start (Nov - Feb/Mar if I remember) is the best.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 03:28 PM   #5312
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Seems tight to me if you have a 2.5 year old and brelated stuff. We did Calgary to Kona via Vancouver last week. You have to go through both security and US customs. There was only 1 line open for security and we waited a solid 25 minutes. If you're going to do this definitely get the US customs MPC passport app (unless you have Nexus already) as you get a shorter line at customs/immigration if you use that to take your own photos.

I would try to take one flight earlier to Vancouver if possible.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 03:54 PM   #5313
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Seems tight to me if you have a 2.5 year old and brelated stuff. We did Calgary to Kona via Vancouver last week. You have to go through both security and US customs. There was only 1 line open for security and we waited a solid 25 minutes. If you're going to do this definitely get the US customs MPC passport app (unless you have Nexus already) as you get a shorter line at customs/immigration if you use that to take your own photos.

I would try to take one flight earlier to Vancouver if possible.
This. And with the connection time that was mentioned, even if you make it on the Hawaii flight, you can almost guarantee that your luggage won't make it across the airport on time to be loaded on the connecting flight.
Old 04-01-2024, 05:31 PM   #5314
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
I did it with a three year old and a one year old and it was an absolute disaster. Unless you run from your arrival gate all the way to the international terminal and then through security you're going to be very tight in making the time. You're guaranteed to not have time to pick up a drink or a snack for the flight.

Without the extra kid gear you might be okay but if you have it be prepared to have them search your car seat or stroller, take swabs, and x-ray it.

Oddly enough, my wife asked if we should go to Hawaii again in September and I said I'm never going with WestJet during the Hawaii off-season as they only have connections through YVR. Direct flights when they start (Nov - Feb/Mar if I remember) is the best.
This year WestJet will be running 1 weekly flight to Maui on the summer schedule . Not super convenient, but an option.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 06:46 PM   #5315
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ship has sailed on flight changes. Good to know for next time though! Guess we’ll see how this goes. The ability to schedule a security line appointment and the passport app seem like they’ll help speed it up. Fingers crossed!
Old 04-01-2024, 06:51 PM   #5316
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're brave, I'll give you that

I won't even do domestic transfers that tight anymore
Old 04-01-2024, 07:13 PM   #5317
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not much to add, it’s tight but doable. But I’d say ditch the car seat idea if it’s possible. We did car seats for kids when they were that age a couple of times, then dropped it. Marginal gain, maximal hassle factor.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:13 PM   #5318
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
You're brave, I'll give you that

I won't even do domestic transfers that tight anymore
Operating on the assumption that there’s a bunch of people who will be in the same boat and WestJet is used to the timing of this. And yeah gonna ditch any kid stuff and we’ll go as minimal as possible with carry on baggage.
The Following User Says Thank You to morgin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 08:18 PM   #5319
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least if there are quite a few of you doing that same transfer, WJ will hold the outbound plane a bit if need be
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 11:37 AM   #5320
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flying to Paris tonight. Between the YYC closure a few days ago including a WestJet flight slipping on the runway, and reading on here about a random WestJet plane change this week that caused a mess, this thread is giving me anxiety for my WestJet flight ha-ha

Thank jebus its a direct flight at least, fingers crossed its smooth sailing & shenanigan-free!
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote