Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 04-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #281
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Well lets see....

-Initially skewing the perception of both (pics Zimmerman in a jump suit, Trayvon as a younger kid)
-Outright lying/manipulating (NBC audio tapes)
-Not letting due process occur and reporting items before they've been confirmed by either the prosecutors office or police

Outside of that the media has done a bang up job.
The media is a product of its audience
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #282
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not disputing that at all. They know what drives the needle and sadly it is their job first and foremost to increase ratings. Reporting the news is secondary.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #283
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

Quote:
Well lets see....

-Initially skewing the perception of both (pics Zimmerman in a jump suit, Trayvon as a younger kid)
-Outright lying/manipulating (NBC audio tapes)
-Not letting due process occur and reporting items before they've been confirmed by either the prosecutors office or police

Outside of that the media has done a bang up job.
I get that "the media" has spread to succomb to bias but if a judge-and-jury can't overcome initial reports from 24-hour news networks then there isn't much of a justice system to protect.

If not for "the media" there never would have been a trial anyway, nor any scrutiny of StandYourGround laws, ALEC, or racial expectations.
Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #284
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its just having sit in a jury-duty session (thankfully not chosen), they ask you tons of questions about "Are you aware of so and so's blah blah blah" and related. As soon as you answer yes you are usually disqualified by either the prosecution or the defense because they believe your patiallity has been effected. It may actually not, but the legal system is the way it is.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #285
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its just having sit in a jury-duty session (thankfully not chosen), they ask you tons of questions about "Are you aware of so and so's blah blah blah" and related. As soon as you answer yes you are usually disqualified by either the prosecution or the defense because they believe your patiallity has been effected. It may actually not, but the legal system is the way it is.
Unless you're in some bizarre jurisdiction where the parties are afforded an unlimited number of preemptory challenges that's simply not true. If jurors could be excluded solely on the basis of their knowledge of a media report on a matter we'd never have a jury seated in a high profile case again.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #286
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can only speak to my jury experience, but most people were thrown out for that reason. Perhaps they were simply looking for an excuse not to serve (like me!), but all I remember is anyone who had heard or knew of the case wasn't considered.

But this isn't the usual high profile case. This is an international high profile case at this point, ala Casey Anthony/OJ. Getting an impartial jury will be virtually impossible, let alone a grand jury to hear the facts.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #287
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

Quote:
It strikes me as crass and lazy to impugn the integrity of hundreds of people for collective wrongdoing like "not waiting for due process."

"The media" has become far too easy of a target.
Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #288
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://news.yahoo.com/official-charg...184138994.html

Zimmerman likely to be charged tonight. I'm guessing the fiasco with his lawyers only expedited this.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #289
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can only speak to my jury experience, but most people were thrown out for that reason. Perhaps they were simply looking for an excuse not to serve (like me!), but all I remember is anyone who had heard or knew of the case wasn't considered.

But this isn't the usual high profile case. This is an international high profile case at this point, ala Casey Anthony/OJ. Getting an impartial jury will be virtually impossible, let alone a grand jury to hear the facts.
Excluding jurors for that reason, and that reason alone, isn't going to fly in pretty much any court room when pretty much the entire pool of potential jurors will have heard of the matter. Both sides will get a few challenges that they can use with no explanation (race based exclusions being the exception), but otherwise they'll have to satisfy the court that the person should be excluded. If that wasn't the case we'd have never gotten a jury for the OJ case. If you were sitting for a jury in a case that didn't have widespread coverage previous knowledge may be an adequate reason to dismiss a juror, there would be plenty to fill the spots.

It's a little different with the Grand Jury as there's no requirement to engage in the process, so you can essentially skip that step and still get to the same result by having the DA make the determination on whether to charge.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #290
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, you are 100% right on the grand jury process. And its especially irrelevant now that hes going to (likely) be charged. I'm curious what the charge would be, I'd guess involuntary manslaughter but who knows?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #291
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Jay walking?

If there is a trial, its going to be a bloody gongshow.

I would expect that there will likely be a plea bargin with little to no time served.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #292
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd imagine that yes, if theres a deal to be made with little to no jail time it will be. Especially with the potential for race riots if Zimmerman is found not guilty.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #293
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't think there are any restriction to him traveling, he hasn't been charged, after the police investigation he was let go.
I believe I read that the special prosecutor might "hurry up" and bring charges to bear against him quicker if they believe him to be a flight risk, since they don't want him making preparations to run while they dally before charging him. So while there are no restrictions against him right now, he can still "flee" if he believes they will be coming.

Though, now, his ex-lawyers are saying he's not a flight risk, and the special prosecutor will be pressing charges soon.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #294
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jay walking?

If there is a trial, its going to be a bloody gongshow.

I would expect that there will likely be a plea bargin with little to no time served.

And the guy will get his own talk show afterwards...
Old 04-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #295
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, 2nd degree murder charges. Must think they have a pretty strong case.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #296
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, 2nd degree murder charges. Must think they have a pretty strong case.
That surprises me, I think the onus of proof is very high in a second degree murder charge.

I guess you could theoretically argued that him carrying a gun would make it applicable as 2nd degree murder is without intent or planning.

I think they're going to have a hell of a time proving it and they're going to pay for laying an over zealous charge.

I would also think that there is no chance for a plea bargin since a guilty finding would result in a life sentence.

I think this is a big mistake and its politically motivated by public pressure.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #297
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

As an add on this is going to be a land mark case in terms of the self defense defense.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #298
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That surprises me, I think the onus of proof is very high in a second degree murder charge.

I guess you could theoretically argued that him carrying a gun would make it applicable as 2nd degree murder is without intent or planning.

I think they're going to have a hell of a time proving it and they're going to pay for laying an over zealous charge.

I would also think that there is no chance for a plea bargin since a guilty finding would result in a life sentence.

I think this is a big mistake and its politically motivated by public pressure.
I haven't read any of the details, but I assume they haven't closed the door to him pleading guilty to a lesser charge.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #299
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
I haven't read any of the details, but I assume they haven't closed the door to him pleading guilty to a lesser charge.
Maybe but if the prosecutor backs down on the charge in a plea bargin, the boys family and supporters will probably go ape.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #300
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still gotta believe this will end with a plea. Maybe something where he does 3-5 years