Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #221
sven
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Good for you. Most people aren't happy with the annual 9th-12th finishes however, and this season has that written all over it. It's so sad to see how far the bar has been lowered for this franchise. It wasn't too long ago that anything less than going a couple of rounds in the playoffs was a failure. Now we're just happy as long as the team tries hard.
a couple of rounds in the playoffs? Since the 92-93 season the only time we got past the 1st round was the cup run in 04.

I think we have to understand that Feaster and the ownership is not interested in rebuilding.

In hindsight, they should have started the rebuild in 2010 but that ship has sailed.

I'm not going to fault the guys on the ice when its obvious that the management has been out to lunch for the past 3 seasons.

I'm happy that Hartley has found a way to work with what he has been given and the guys are outperforming expectations.

The way this team is playing, we still have a shot at the playoffs (unless the injury bug continues)

If we DO miss the playoffs, I'd rather go down swinging like this team rather than subjected to watching them playing the boring Sutter hockey and STILL losing.
sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #222
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven View Post
a couple of rounds in the playoffs? Since the 92-93 season the only time we got past the 1st round was the cup run in 04.
I stand by my statement. It seemed like a general consensus that, after getting knocked out in the first round year after year, that simply making the playoffs would not be considered mission accomplished. I am not sure if you lurked around here back when Brent Sutter and Bouwmeester were first brought in, but the sentiment then was that another first round exit would have been a huge disaster.

For me, I think the mark of a successful season is if you can say that you improved from the previous season. Right now, management just seems content to make minor tweaks and hope that they can squeak into the playoffs. What's disappointing is how widely this seems to have been embraced by fans.

Last edited by Ark2; 02-10-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #223
sven
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
I stand by my statement. It seemed like a general consensus that, after getting knocked out in the first round year after year, that simply making the playoffs would not be considered mission accomplished. I am not sure if you lurked around here back when Brent Sutter and Bouwmeester were first brought in, but the sentiment then was that another first round exit would have been a huge disaster.
That is correct, when we signed Jaybo, it was expected that we would go much further in the playoffs with a top 4 D line up of

Jaybo, Phaneuf, Reger, Gio

The problem is, our management really screwed up.

When it was clear things aren't working, our owners didnt want to rebuild as the dome was consistently selling out so they didnt change the product.

Now here we are in 2013. Our line up isn't very good. There is no quick fix.

At this point instead of complaining about a 9-12th finish, would you rather
a) rebuild (trade Iggy, Kipper, etc)
b)hope that with the addition of guys like Hudler and Cervenka, we try our best to get into the playoffs with Hartley's new style of play?

I don't know if I can sit through the team getting gutted and rebuilt after missing the playoffs for 3 straight years. It would take another 3-5 years.

Once you trade the old guys like Iggy and Kipper and Tangs, you are literally left with a team full of NOBODYs that might not even make the AHL playoffs.

The way I see it, it's an absolute awful position to be in as a fan with no light at the end of the tunnel so what I'M choosing to do is understand that management messed up, understand our team is crappy and try to still enjoy watching the game (which is now easier with Hartley at the helm)

Ya it sucks to see how far we've fallen.
sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #224
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

re: Irving

I agree with some saying that despite his great saves, he looked a little shaky. I think he had 3 saves in the second period where the puck hit him in the pads but he had no idea where it was. Yes, he made those saves, but the body language wasn't positive. I bet that trepidation goes away with some more minutes.

That nitpick aside, I think Irving did what he could. He backstopped the Flames to a 1-0 lead and made multiple good / great saves to give the Flames a chance to establish a two goal lead. Glencross and Comeau had great chances to put the Flames up 2-0, but failed to score.

Playing against a top team on the road, he basically shut the door for just about half the game and gave his team multiple redemptions to add a second goal to their cushion. Hard to ask for more at this stage.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:10 AM   #225
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
Fed up with hearing Iginla say "we didn't play well. Didn't have any jump. etc. erc. etc." He's done nothing. Time to pick a new Captain. Can't trade him, he's not worth anything.
What do you expect him to say? They did not play well. They did not play with jump. The team was not there last night.

He has done nothing? Nothing? Bit of an exaggeration wouldn't you say? He didn't play well last night, and he's been slow to start the season, but it's hard to argue that hasn't been ramping up his game the last few outings.

Who exactly would you pick as our new skip? Who on the team deserves it right now? Kipper? He's about the only one. No one else is captain material yet. Bouwmeester sure isn't. Tanguay? Gio? They make a decent supporting cast, but not captains.

We can't trade Jarome Iginla. We can't trade him because he isn't worth anything. Really? Not one little thing? A team wouldn't take a flyer on him and send a 7th rounder? Might as well just give him to the Canucks then. While we are at it why don't we pay his salary too? Think a team might take him then? Probably not, so why don't we pay his next contract too? Or how about we use our one buyout and send him packing? No point having him on the roster.

Give your head a damn shake. Yeah, we didn't show up last night. We were down right atrocious. We absolutely schooled Chicago and lost because of one bad defensive play and a whole lot of bad luck. We thoroughly thumped Detroit. In Detroit... Statistically we are brutal against Columbus and look at that we pulled out a win. 4 points out of a possible 6 is pretty damn good for a road trip against teams we are usually very bad against.

Some people really need to stop running the bath and getting the toaster ready. How about we see where we are at a few days before deadline and assess from there. Is it possible we could very well be in the mix for a playoff spot? Hell yes it is. Is it possible we could be almost entirely out by then too? It most certainly is possible. We have 3 weeks less a day or so until deadline day. Lots of time to figure out where we are at.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #226
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyBeers View Post
Plus the slurpee policy for all players after every game and the fact that Mrs. Bouwmeester is paying Jay 10 dollars for a goal and 5 bucks for an assist has things looking up for the Flames.
Quality post here beers, this post had nothing but substance. I hope you lose the bet and the team you "cheer for" pulls out a playoff run. I don't owe anything until all 48 games are done. We get it, you want a top 5 pick. No surprise to deal with here. My "schtick" isnt even newer than yours is. PS. Sutter got pounded 5-1 as the Flames coach as well. It doesn't mean the canucks still don't dive and embellish calls like they always do.

Oh, and pps, I stilll hope you lose $20. You bet against the team you claim to cheer for.

Last edited by Frank MetaMusil; 02-11-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:40 AM   #227
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^^ well said. 2 wins in a row, and the usual suspects are silent. Next loss, whammo, knives are out. This season is a lot of newness - Hudler, Cervenka, Wideman, Hartley, plus full year of Cammi. Plagued with early injuries, and a loss pops up and the usual suspects bellow from the hilltops.

I guess you can't have a lot of action on a message board if patience and the big picture trump day to day noise.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #228
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
^^ well said. 2 wins in a row, and the usual suspects are silent. Next loss, whammo, knives are out. This season is a lot of newness - Hudler, Cervenka, Wideman, Hartley, plus full year of Cammi. Plagued with early injuries, and a loss pops up and the usual suspects bellow from the hilltops.

I guess you can't have a lot of action on a message board if patience and the big picture trump day to day noise.
The Flames won 2 of 3 on the road. They were just dealt their first regulation road loss of the season. No need to implode here, unless you are an oilers fan.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:45 AM   #229
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Might as well cheer for foreskin and salty.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #230
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
The Flames won 2 of 3 on the road. They were just dealt their first regulation road loss of the season. No need to implode here, unless you are an oilers fan.
If the Flames had given up a PP goal versus the jackets in the last 2 mins, you'd be singing a different tune. There was a very good chance of us getting out of there with 0 points.

But I guess winning erases all sins?
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #231
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
What do you expect him to say? They did not play well. They did not play with jump. The team was not there last night.
This is correct but the funny part is that it also leads one to wonder why people in here are complaining so much about Hughson talking up the Canucks and not ever saying anything positive about the Flames... well, gee, I wonder why, they got it handed to them on Saturday.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #232
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post
This is correct but the funny part is that it also leads one to wonder why people in here are complaining so much about Hughson talking up the Canucks and not ever saying anything positive about the Flames... well, gee, I wonder why, they got it handed to them on Saturday.
BS. The fact that the nucks were handing it to the Flames only added fuel to the fire. He was already on the felatio fast track in the first when the Flames were up 1-0.

If the Flames had taken it to the Canucks, the sorrow would have been evident in his voice, and he would have spent most of his time talking about how the Canucks were under performing and not how th flames were playing great.

He's a solid play by play guy, but he's also a blatant Canuck homer and its evident every time he calls one of their games.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #233
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Sorry to get your panties in a bunch, I did not post anything after the loss. I thanked a post saying that it was a good road trip where the Flames got 2 out 3 wins. I then respond to a post commenting on how people are now happy if we try hard (which is true, it is amazing how low the bar is now, try hard and entertain me and it is automatically better than what we had before, wins be damned) with a green font post about slurpees and a 6.8 million dollar guy getting paid 10 dollars a goal and 5 dollars an assist and you get offended.

If you think betting against your team makes you such a bad fan, I am more than willing to double down on being a bad fan and bet another 20 bucks that the Flames do not win the Stanley Cup. What a ridiculous assertion that somehow making a rational bet that the Flames would be worse this year than they were under Brent Sutter makes them a bad fan.

Your posts rarely if ever are substantive, so I am more than willing to throw up in green font joke post every now and then just to make sure I am keeping up with the Jones (or in this case the MetaMusil's).
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #234
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaywee View Post
Awful Awful Awful. I picked a hell of a night to watch the flames play wearing my flames jersey in a Vancouver bar.
Wore mine while watching in a bar in Blackfriars yesterday with a bunch of Canucks Leafs and Habs fans. The bar owner recorded the Leafs/Habs and our game so we spent all day watching hockey.

Watching the leafs and canucks win by a combined 11-1 score.

Glad I was drinking, but I need to find some Flames fans to go to this.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #235
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watch to prevent myself from cutting.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #236
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven View Post
Actually the only time we got past the first round since we won the Cup in 89 was 2004, and we haven't won one since.

Many game 7's in that span, but zero wins.

Sigh.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote