Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best prospect left from the following?
Agostino 0 0%
Andersson 1 0.28%
Arnold 1 0.28%
Billins 0 0%
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 1 0.28%
Culkin 1 0.28%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 0 0%
Ferland 63 17.95%
Gillies 61 17.38%
Gilmour 1 0.28%
Granlund 7 1.99%
Grant 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 0 0%
Hickey 9 2.56%
Jankowski 1 0.28%
Kanzig 0 0%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuk 2 0.57%
Kulak 0 0%
Kylington 7 1.99%
Mangiapane 1 0.28%
McDonald 1 0.28%
Morrison 1 0.28%
Ollas Mattsson 0 0%
Ortio 59 16.81%
Poirier 133 37.89%
Rafikov 0 0%
Sieloff 1 0.28%
Smith 0 0%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 0 0%
Wotherspoon 0 0%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #21
Eric
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Went with Ferland but I'm surprised to see no votes for Hickey
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #22
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted Ortio

- Gillies is just now considered ready to play in the AHL. Maybe due to his size he has more upside than Ortio but I can't see him as a better prospect than Ortio who has won NHL games already.

- Poirier seemingly has a long way to go too.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #23
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess he's technically Flames' property for another year, but Chad Billins recently signed a two-year deal in Sweden. I'd say his future with the Flames is all but over: http://www2.lhc.eu/artikel/67304/
Old 07-04-2015, 12:08 PM   #24
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Gillies is slightly ahead of Poirier in my books. What he did in the NCAA was amazing.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #25
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies for me as well. My criteria is based on who I think will be the best pro. The combination of size and athleticism he has is crazy.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #26
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It was between Granlund and Ortio for me and I went with Granlund, which may surprise people but hear me out. I understand that he is a year older than Poirer but there is really no comparing how the two looked in the NHL. Granlund looked ready to graduate and Poirer looked somewhat intimidated.

I see Granlund in all sorts of trade proposals and I think that is crazy. He was good in the Finnish league when he was 18, he was our best player in the AHL this year (I think), and the coaching staff even trusted him in the NHL playoffs. To me he is our number two prospect

*same things can also be said about Ortio but goalies are so hard to predict so I went with Granlund. To me, how a young kid performs in the NHL trumps everything else and Granlund looked like he belonged. I will vote Ortio then Ferland then Poirer
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #27
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was a very close vote for me. I have a group of prospects that are all very close: Poirier, Ortio, Gillies, Culkin, Ferland, Jankowski. I went with the guy that has shown the most at the youngest age, Emile Poirier.

However, I was very close to picking Culkin or Gillies. I think both of them have very high NHL potential.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #28
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also I think Hickey has to be the big riser from last year. He had an outstanding first season in college
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #29
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I voted Kylington because he has the greatest potential. I have no idea whether he'll reach his ceiling but the same applies to the others on the list.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:29 PM   #30
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
^part of the charm of this poll is how we all evaluate a little bit differently. Adds to the whole thing in my mind.
Indeed, it's good fodder for discussion and debate during the dog days of summer.
Finger Cookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:34 PM   #31
Journey17
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I went with Poirier on the basis of top end potential being higher than Ferland. As I can't figure who I like more between Ortio and Gilles, I felt that neither could be at #2. Goalies seem to be pretty unpredictable with several goalies having great seasons one year and then fail out shortly after.
Journey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #32
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always gravitate towards evaluating prospects based on NHL readiness followed by top potential. I sort of measure it based on 70% readiness and 30% potential.

So with that, I went with Turkubot 2.0. I wish more people on CP knew just how steady and game-breaking he can be. I've seen it time and time again, he can steal games and has the disposition you want a goalie to have.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #33
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel pretty strongly that Gillies is going to be really good.
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #34
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm stuck between Ortio who is very close to breaking through, and Gillies who has a high ceiling but remains untested at the pro level. Taking the hopeful approach and picking that Gillies will wind up better than Ortio.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #35
JoelOtto29
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
This was a very close vote for me. I have a group of prospects that are all very close: Poirier, Ortio, Gillies, Culkin, Ferland, Jankowski. I went with the guy that has shown the most at the youngest age, Emile Poirier.

However, I was very close to picking Culkin or Gillies. I think both of them have very high NHL potential.
I didn't realize people were so high on Culkin, care to elaborate?
JoelOtto29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoelOtto29 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #36
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I went with Ortio. He has had two excellent call-ups. I love his play style and his personality seems very well suited to being a number 1 goalie. It's no sure thing, but my prediction is that he will be the starting goalie for the Flames by the end of the season and that justifies a very high ranking as a prospect.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:09 PM   #37
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post

I have to temper my enthusiasm with Poirier on his scouting reports and his actual accomplishments.

He was invited to the WJC summer camp but not to the go-to-tourney camp.

He led a relatively weak Jr. team in scoring 43 goals in 63 games BUT had a bad shoulder. He was 7th in the Q in goal scoring and 8th in scoring.

Last year was an okay good rookie AHL season finishing 11th in rookie scoring. He is a couple of year younger than Arnold who had a comparable rookie pro season.

... Arnold played well for the USA at the WJC as a 19 year old... when Arnold was 21 he was 53 pts in 14 games centering the best line in the NCAA. Arnold came back from shoulder surgery in his rookie pro year and went a ppg to finish the year.

Ferland took the NHL opportunity that he earned and made a clear case that he belongs in the NHL... Poirier earned the same opportunity and did not force his way in.

Granlund also on the prospect list has blown the doors off of Poirier at the same ages... Top level player at the WJC. Better 1st pro year in the AHL, Solid NHL season in 2014-15 after being drafted in 2011.

Poirier may look good and have circumstances conspire to keep him from delivering but he has to at least be more dominate at the AHL level to merit being the Flames #1 prospect..

Bennett is not really a prospect.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #38
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I really like many of our prospect Fwds, but I don't really project any to have top line talent. Poirier, Granlund, and Ferland and some others are 2nd tier talent imo.
Both Gillies and Ortio (and perhaps even McDonald) have a decent shot at become NHL starters, so I would probably rate them all above any of the Fwds.
On D I think Hickey and Andrsson are probably potential #3 guys, so they should be considered on the same level as the Fwds I mentioned earlier.
For me the only top end talent we have after Bennett is Oliver Kylington, and he has my vote. He certainly hasn't proved it over as long as some of the others, but I am fairly confident he will become an NHLer, and maybe even a star. Perhaps Loobs'si interview was the tipping point for me...or perhaps I am just enamoured with the shiny new toy.
I don't imagine the mob will be picking OK for a while, so I guess he has my vote for the foreseeable future.
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:49 PM   #39
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Went with Gillies. I think he is one of the top tender prospects in the league. Size, athleticism and a great attitude. Our future #1.
Gave some consideration to Poirier and Hickey.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:50 PM   #40
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Last year was an okay good rookie AHL season finishing 11th in rookie scoring. He is a couple of year younger than Arnold who had a comparable rookie pro season..
He's three years younger then Arnold, which is a huge gap when we're talking about young prospects. At 19 years old Emile Poirier was putting up 19 goals and 42 points in the AHL while Arnold had 17 goals and 36 points in College.

Quote:
Ferland took the NHL opportunity that he earned and made a clear case that he belongs in the NHL... Poirier earned the same opportunity and did not force his way in.
At 20 years old Michael Ferland showed up to Flames camp, got sent to the AHL, then ECHL then back to juniors as an overaged player.

Ferland came back at 21 didn't make the Flames out of camp and had an injury plagued year in the AHL.

Ferland at 22 didn't make the Flames out of camp again but continued to work and eventually made it having a strong playoffs.

At 19 years old Poirier had the rare opportunity to not go back to junior and stay in the AHL, which he did.

Quote:

Granlund also on the prospect list has blown the doors off of Poirier at the same ages... Top level player at the WJC. Better 1st pro year in the AHL, Solid NHL season in 2014-15 after being drafted in 2011.
Granlund was a 1st year pro in the AHL at 20 years old, Poirier was 19. Despite the one year gap Granlund only beat Emilie's rookie total by 6 goals and an outstanding 4 whole entire points.

Do you see a pattern here, Richardo? Do you see what you're missing in all this?

The amount of fact twisting you do is mind boggling. Hells twisting is putting it nicely, it's mostly fact fabrication.

Also, who cares about World Juniors. They're fun for us fans to watch but they are no indicator of future NHL success. Remember that while TJ Brodie prepares for another NHL seasons with his big new contract while Greg Nemisz ponders his future as a 25 year old UFA with no NHL contract in site.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post: