Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #21
gonzo29
Scoring Winger

Exp:

double post
gonzo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #22
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Jooris & Granlund will be waiver exempt
Wouldn't surprise me too much if Jooris is sent down to start the season if he's waiver exempt. His ice-time was dropping as the season went on.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #23
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

^^ Wrist injury. Think he had a small operation after the season. Still an effective player when not productive. I agree that he'll be pushed by the younger guys coming up though and needs to come back strong to win a spot.
station is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to station For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #24
Blarg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Re. Colborne, money is also not an issue for him, so contracts with him are very team friendly. Especially when he is playing for a team he absolutely loves.
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #25
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh I don't get the Colborne love (on the ice). The guy has one of the lowest hockey IQs on the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #26
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Jooris & Granlund will be waiver exempt
I think Jooris is waiver eligible. He's 24 and has played 60+ NHL games.

http://www.litterboxcats.com/2013/10...orida-panthers

I think the Flames would be ok waiving Byron, Jooris, and Shore without much risk of losing them on waivers. Granlund can just be sent down.

That cuts the backlog down.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:10 PM   #27
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarg View Post
Re. Colborne, money is also not an issue for him, so contracts with him are very team friendly.
Not directing this at you necessarily but I've seen this mentioned before because his old man has money. It's not Joe's money.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2015, 01:19 PM   #28
theoforever
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I think Jooris is waiver eligible. He's 24 and has played 60+ NHL games.

http://www.litterboxcats.com/2013/10...orida-panthers

I think the Flames would be ok waiving Byron, Jooris, and Shore without much risk of losing them on waivers. Granlund can just be sent down.

That cuts the backlog down.

Treliving said that teams wanted to trade for Shore, so I don't see how he clears wavers. Same goes for the other two.
theoforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:21 PM   #29
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Not directing this at you necessarily but I've seen this mentioned before because his old man has money. It's not Joe's money.
The guy already filed for Arbitration on his last contract. I'm sure he wants fair market value regardless of whether he's playing here or not.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2015, 01:27 PM   #30
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me, I think you would sooner see some vets get waived/traded than the kids. With Ortio, Ferland, Jooris, and Shore all needing to pass through waivers, I don't see them getting sent down to Stockton. They would all get claimed, especially Ortio. Markstrom wasn't last year, but that's because he mostly sucked at the NHL level. Ortio has played well in his stints up here, so it is less likely that he would not get picked up.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #31
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Ugh I don't get the Colborne love (on the ice). The guy has one of the lowest hockey IQs on the team.
Except in the corners. He's not a possession positive player but he's a workhorse in the offensive corners. If he can play against weaker competition and get offensive zone starts... He has strengths, but he's certainly not a corsi positive player at this stage in his game.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:58 PM   #32
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

It really depends on how hard the young guys are pushing for roster spots. I expect guys like Poirier, Klimchuk, Agostino, Arnold, etc. to have great camps and to make things really difficult for the Flames. Any of those guys have the potential to make the team right out of camp.

The other thing to consider is that teams tend to panic about their depth towards the end of preseason, so that would be an ideal time to unload guys like Raymond and Bolig for mid/late round picks. Disagree that they have negative value, they just don't fit here going forward.

Hiller is worth a lot more than most are giving credit, but you still need a team looking for a starter. Again, a team could panic about their goaltending situation towards the end of training camp -- either due to injury or underperforming players.

I keep versatile and young guys likeColborne and Shore. Can't have too many C/RW no matter what people say.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #33
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a really strong feeling Colborne will be packages with a couple of guys for a strong top 6 forward.

I just don't think there is the money to pay him long term, and I could see a cap team trading a much better $5M+ player with little term left for him, to create some space.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:15 PM   #34
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I have a really strong feeling Colborne will be packages with a couple of guys for a strong top 6 forward.

I just don't think there is the money to pay him long term, and I could see a cap team trading a much better $5M+ player with little term left for him, to create some space.
Except Burkie loves the guy - doubt he's going anywhere.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:16 PM   #35
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Colborne is a 6 foot 5 skilled forward. Burke and Treliving want more of them, not less. It's taken longer for Colborne to put it all together, but I see nothing but progression from him. He's adapting his game and seems to finally be comfortable using his weight.

I'd say it's 1 year too early to consider trading Colborne. Guy has too much upside.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #36
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Colborne is a 6 foot 5 skilled forward. Burke and Treliving want more of them, not less. It's taken longer for Colborne to put it all together, but I see nothing but progression from him. He's adapting his game and seems to finally be comfortable using his weight.

I'd say it's 1 year too early to consider trading Colborne. Guy has too much upside.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:19 PM   #37
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Seems like you missed watching the playoffs, where he really showed up and played some of his best hockey to date. A guy that big with those hands and possession skills is a valuable commodity.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #38
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

I though Treleiving would have moved players at the draft. Now I wonder if an expansion draft is factoring in to this.

Two new franchises would likely mean losing 2 players.

The flames would likely know before camp whether thats this year before the draft or next (or never) and might not be in a rush to move players until that is settled.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2015, 02:28 PM   #39
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great point on expansion draft. Flames need to keep that in mind as they prepare the roster going forward.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #40
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

if there is one, it probably does them a favour
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote