Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #41
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mentioned this on Monday. I saw him at the rodeo during the Ponoka Stampede and he was telling the guys sitting in front of us that Winnipeg, Toronto and Edmonton were interested in him.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:47 AM   #42
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Glencross wouldn't sign with Calgary because he was expecting a big UFA payday.

Got dealt to a contending team and was unceremoniously scratched during the playoffs.

Not a peep on UFA day 1.

Not exactly his big free agent payday like he was probably expectatingthis time last year.
I didn't say he is going to sign with Calgary. I just mentioned it was only the first day of UFA sognings. He might not get the big money he is hoping he'll get but it's been done before. Brad Richards settled for a $1M for one year contract and ended up getting more the next time. I am sure some team will sign him before the season starts.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:51 AM   #43
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
I didn't say he is going to sign with Calgary. I just mentioned it was only the first day of UFA sognings. He might not get the big money he is hoping he'll get but it's been done before. Brad Richards settled for a $1M for one year contract and ended up getting more the next time. I am sure some team will sign him before the season starts.
Richards chose to only take $1M because he wanted to join the Blackhawks and that's all they could afford. He definitely had better offers out there but he took a discount to go to a contender.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:41 AM   #44
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I will definitely always be thankful that Glencross helped get us Hamilton!
Old 07-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #45
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glencross, when he's on a role, he's like the $6mil man for like a week or so until you realize he should be benched and moved back down to the 4th line after making bonehead plays that can cost the team in the final 5-10 minutes of the game. Hope he signs with a team out east somewhere.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #46
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Glencross wouldn't sign with Calgary because he was expecting a big UFA payday.

Got dealt to a contending team and was unceremoniously scratched during the playoffs.

Not a peep on UFA day 1.

Not exactly his big free agent payday like he was probably expectatingthis time last year.

Wouldn't sign? Or had a professional discussion with management about both sides' vision/goals moving forward, and reached a mutual decision to move on?
(I'm genuinely curious btw)

I really didn't remember this being a Sven scenario.. And even then, I feel quite a few people continue to take unnecessary shots at someone they've never met.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #47
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glencross waived his NTC to allow the Flames to trade him.

He could of easily said that this was a great young team and he wanted to be part of the playoff run and maybe his performance down the stretch would justify a big extension on his favorite team.

Nobody at all saw that he would not fit in with the Caps.... Certainly not the Caps who gave up a 2nd and a 3rd for him...

Would be ironic if he signed a short term deal with the Jets as a Frolik replacement. It would be interesting to see him on a line with Lowry (big mean 3rd line Centre) on a team when he wasn't responsible for looking after the physical play.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #48
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Glencross waived his NTC to allow the Flames to trade him.

He could of easily said that this was a great young team and he wanted to be part of the playoff run and maybe his performance down the stretch would justify a big extension on his favorite team.

Nobody at all saw that he would not fit in with the Caps.... Certainly not the Caps who gave up a 2nd and a 3rd for him...

Would be ironic if he signed a short term deal with the Jets as a Frolik replacement. It would be interesting to see him on a line with Lowry (big mean 3rd line Centre) on a team when he wasn't responsible for looking after the physical play.
I think Ricardo has a crush on the Winnipeg Jets.

Big=Good
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:28 AM   #49
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jahrmes View Post
Some embarrassing posts in this thread, I mean really, show some class.

Agree or not, the guy was underpaid on his last contract and wanted to be here. He's gone now, no need to drag his name through the mud. You'd think it was personal with some of you.

Was he underpaid? I think the lack of interest in him on July 1st might prove otherwise. The guy was a healthy scratch for the Capitals during the playoffs.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #50
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Guy was a lazy plug who complained a lot. No teams will be rushing out to sign this guy and that was evident today.

His entire stint with the caps was a summary of his entire career really and then add that he couldn't stay healthy.

But yup... Thanks for the great effort and years Curtis!!... Please...
As the year went on, he added to his list of teams he would accept a trade to... we got a great draft pick because of it, key towards getting Hamilton/Kylington. He started with 1 team, I think it expanded to over 10. He could have easily kept it at 1 team or given only 2 and stick it to us like some pending UFAs have.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #51
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Was he underpaid? I think the lack of interest in him on July 1st might prove otherwise. The guy was a healthy scratch for the Capitals during the playoffs.

Was = past tense .. Pretty sure you go back a few posts of mine I said that the wheels fell off for him at the end and that's too bad.
You're telling me his body of work over that contract wouldn't have justified more salary if he signed 4 1 year deals? 2 2 year deals?

His name came up at the deadline and FA every year because people were always including him as a contract that would be very attractive to contending teams as it was very favourable to the team for a guy who could likely play on every line

Old 07-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #52
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Was he underpaid?
His cap hit was what, 2.55 AAV? He put up 90 goals in the 4 season span of his contract, and that could have been more because of the lockout season and injuries outside his control. Yeah, he wasn't a perfect player, but you're gonna argue he was paid fair value over that span?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #53
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Why do people always take it personally when a player thinks he deserves more money? Is that your attitude when you go negotiate raises at work "Oh well they pay me pretty good, I think I won't bother asking for more than 0%, after all I'm decidedly mediocre."

When you're paid less than a defenceman who was a regular scratch (Engelland) it's not unreasonable to perceive you are undercompensated. He could see his role diminishing and that he wasn't in the team's future plans, so he took a chance that a trade would enhance his value. He definitely lost that bet, and it's pretty poor form to gloat about it considering how well it worked out for the team.

I hope he latches on with the Oilers, that way he can both get paid and have springtimes off to prepare for his rodeo career after hockey.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #54
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Why do people always take it personally when a player thinks he deserves more money? Is that your attitude when you go negotiate raises at work "Oh well they pay me pretty good, I think I won't bother asking for more than 0%, after all I'm decidedly mediocre."

When you're paid less than a defenceman who was a regular scratch (Engelland) it's not unreasonable to perceive you are undercompensated. He could see his role diminishing and that he wasn't in the team's future plans, so he took a chance that a trade would enhance his value. He definitely lost that bet, and it's pretty poor form to gloat about it considering how well it worked out for the team.

I hope he latches on with the Oilers, that way he can both get paid and have springtimes off to prepare for his rodeo career after hockey.
If you are going to be overly critical of posters for having a certain opinion can you at least be a bit more accurate in your rebuttal as Engelland suited up for 76 games which is hardly a guy that was scratched regularly.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #55
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smid? Or how about Raymond up front?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:30 PM   #56
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
Paging This post is terrible.
But yet you have zero argument as to why... Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Brutal.
Brutally honest.. I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
As the year went on, he added to his list of teams he would accept a trade to... we got a great draft pick because of it, key towards getting Hamilton/Kylington. He started with 1 team, I think it expanded to over 10. He could have easily kept it at 1 team or given only 2 and stick it to us like some pending UFAs have.
He included more teams because he knew that one team was not interested and he was about to get buried in the depth chart because he was not getting it done. Pretty simple.

Next?
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #57
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think he's going to linger in UFA until late July/early August and get picked up on a 1 year deal worth around $2.5m by some random team. If he doesn't have a big 15/16 I could see him out of the NHL by 17/18.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #58
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But yet you have zero argument as to why... Interesting.

Brutally honest.. I know.

He included more teams because he knew that one team was not interested and he was about to get buried in the depth chart because he was not getting it done. Pretty simple.

Next?

The guy over produced on his contract.

The guy was noted by his teammates as a leader and popular player in the room.

The guy took his offseason to raise over $1,000,000 for charities in central Alberta.

And you have the audacity to kick him on the way out?

Let me be clear: we don't need fans like you around the site. Go be an Oiler fan or a Bruin fan.

Beat it
Old 07-02-2015, 12:49 PM   #59
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Next?
It could be worse. I remember when we had another lazy forward who refused to backcheck and he only gave the Flames one team to trade with, thus really tying the teams hands.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #60
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was really reticent to trade Glencross because by all accounts he was well respected in the room and I think he contributed a lot to the work ethic and culture of this team.

At the end of the day though I was more concerned about losing his heart and intangibles than what he really produced on the ice and he was thoroughly passed on the depth chart by the up and coming guys.

Unfortunately for him, he plays a hard-nosed style and its really taken its toll on him.

At the end of the day though this management and coaching team have no problems turning the page and moving along which is good because I know I have issues doing that at times.

Good luck to him. I hope he doesnt end up in Edmonton.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: