Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2015, 12:54 PM   #41
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Wasn't he caught with possession of cocaine? I'd assume that if found guilty, the team could easily terminate any contract of a player found guilty of this as there are likely items in the contract which speak specifically to this sort of stuff, no?
It wouldn't surprise me if it were something related to substance abuse, with documented warnings. Dean Lombardi can't be that stupid to risk a lawsuite, nor do I think he was stupid enough not to use the compliance buyout last year if he didn't have a contingency plan.

My guess is they have a legit case
Old 06-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #42
cznTiburon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One burning question would be so they need the investigation to pan out before they can sign other players? Are they going to sign guys with the extra cap space, lose the termination process and then be even further buried in Cap hell? Free agency is coming up real quick and I don't feel this will be sorted out before then
cznTiburon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #43
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. If it is a s simple "You're not in shape!!!" then this is BS
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #44
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Wasn't he caught with possession of cocaine? I'd assume that if found guilty, the team could easily terminate any contract of a player found guilty of this as there are likely items in the contract which speak specifically to this sort of stuff, no?
That was Stoll, although he was reported to be partying with teammates (no information as to who, but I wouldn't be shocked if the two incidents are related)
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #45
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
So they terminate the contract (which will obviously result in a prolonged fight) and in the meantime they get to use the cap space as they see fit? That seems completely ridiculous.

Between cases like this, Kovalchuk and the ongoing Prongers and Savards of the world the cap isn't penalizing these longer term contracts at all.
I don't think Savard and Pronger should be mentioned as being anywhere near the Kovalchuk or Richards disasters. Both players are physically unable to play. Concussions are sensitive issue around the league (rightfully so). I think you're off-base in bringing them up.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #46
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

So they're terminating it over his fitness? That's weak. Who sets the standard there?
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:57 PM   #47
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

This smells like another push the boundaries move, like when they Voynov "accidentally" joined practice while he was suspended.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #48
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I don't think Savard and Pronger should be mentioned as being anywhere near the Kovalchuk or Richards disasters. Both players are physically unable to play. Concussions are sensitive issue around the league (rightfully so). I think you're off-base in bringing them up.
Yeah and I suppose you're right. I just find it silly as a fan to see Pronger get traded this past weekend when everyone in the free world realises he won't be playing.

I also forgot to mention Voynov which I definitely should've included there.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #49
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Leafs will love this option if it works...
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #50
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Greg Whyshynski @wyshynski
1. Richards thing -- very strong indications an off-ice indecent (I presume he means incident) is going to come to light, but obviously no one's breathing a word of it.
2. Richards thing -- it sucks that so many people are going to drop "told ya so's" about Mike, but that's on him.

Further, on the radio they said word at the draft was something may have happened that may lead to this.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:59 PM   #51
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski 54s55 seconds ago
1. Richards thing -- very strong indications an off-ice indecent is going to come to light, but obviously no one's breathing a word of it.

just lol
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:59 PM   #52
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the NHL digs down here as this sounds like a big market team trying to circumvent the rules by making up some technicality. The Coyotes couldn't get around buying out Ribero for being a negative influence so I don't see how the Kings can.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:59 PM   #53
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The SPC has a clause that allows the team to establish rules of conduct and conditioning that the player must follow. I wonder if Lombardi agreed to not use the Compliance Buyout last year in exchange for Richards agreeing to certain conditions, which he subsequently didn't meet?

Quote:
4. The Club may from time to time during the continuance of this SPC establish reasonable rules governing the conduct and conditioning of the Player, and such reasonable rules shall form part of this SPC and the Agreement as fully as if herein written. For violation of any such rules or for any conduct impairing the thorough and faithful discharge of the duties incumbent upon the Player, the Club may impose a reasonable fine upon the Player and deduct the amount thereof from any money due or to become due to the Player. The Club may also suspend the Player for violation of any such rules. When the Player is fined or suspended, he shall be given notice in writing stating the amount of the fine and/or the duration of the suspension and the reason therefor. Copies of the rules referred to herein shall be filed at the main offices of the League and the National Hockey League Players' Association ("NHLPA").
Old 06-29-2015, 12:59 PM   #54
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Wow... NHL siding with the Kings.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
As far as NHL and LAK concerned, Kings are free of obligation to Richards and he's off LA cap, player eligible to sign anywhere.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #55
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Richards has been rumoured to be a party guy, but that's all hearsay. Have fun arguing that in court.

This sets a HORRIBLE precedent if it happens. No way should GM's be given this as an option for signing guys to bad contracts.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #56
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

There has to be more than him simply being out of shape. Players report to camp out of shape all the time, and I've never heard of a team threatening to terminate contracts on those grounds. If that were the case, Penner's contract could have been terminated a few times over I would imagine.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #57
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
That was Stoll, although he was reported to be partying with teammates (no information as to who, but I wouldn't be shocked if the two incidents are related)

Thanks for the correction. Which is funny because I don't think LA did anything with Stoll's contract unless they're waiting for proof of guilt or maybe Stoll's a UFA now anyway?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #58
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Wow... NHL siding with the Kings.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
As far as NHL and LAK concerned, Kings are free of obligation to Richards and he's off LA cap, player eligible to sign anywhere.
Of course they are. Quite the market in LA right now.

Wouldn't want that team penalized for the next dozen years.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #59
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is really where we find out how much favouritism the league is willing to show a team in that market.

Additionally, does the precedent go the other way? Does John Tavares say, "Screw you Islanders, you've failed to live up to one of the vaguer provisions in my SPC according to my standards. I'm a UFA now. Hey NHL, who wants to pay me $10 million?"
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #60
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess he must have left dry island.