Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #561
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That's debateable he gave them an opportunity as it sounds like he has a problem and they are using that as their hail mary. I don't think they are going to get out of it as he's not listed as a UFA which means he's still a King and will likely remain that way until they swallow the sword like other teams have in their situation and buy him out rather than trying to weasel out of a contract they accepted fully knowing the term and salary cap repercussions. Can't have your cake and eat it too but the Kings tried and likely failed here.
You understand the material breach is likely connected to the failure to disclose his arrest and not just simply for being caught with drugs, right?

I get that this MUST be scrutinized due to the Kings cap situation. But, before all the dust settles you can bet his currently silent management/agent are going to be scrutinized as well.

Do you really think his agent also had no idea Richards was arrested? There's a lot of silence from all parties on this one. Richards may not be the only one taking a fall here. One could find it plausible that there is a considerable benefit to holding off from disclosing this information until a buyout is completed if you are a player in Richards' situation.

There is a lot of investigating to do to get all the facts. There's a reason the NHLPA (wisely) has yet to make a statement about getting involved. There is a lot of discovery yet to be done here.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2015, 07:12 PM   #562
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
You understand the material breach is likely connected to the failure to disclose his arrest and not just simply for being caught with drugs, right?

I get that this MUST be scrutinized due to the Kings cap situation. But, before all the dust settles you can bet his currently silent management/agent are going to be scrutinized as well.

Do you really think his agent also had no idea Richards was arrested? There's a lot of silence from all parties on this one. Richards may not be the only one taking a fall here. One could find it plausible that there is a considerable benefit to holding off from disclosing this information until a buyout is completed if you are a player in Richards' situation.

There is a lot of investigating to do to get all the facts. There's a reason the NHLPA (wisely) has yet to make a statement about getting involved. There is a lot of discovery yet to be done here.
You realize he wasn't arrested right? Right? NHLPA doesn't have to say anything. It's not their job to show up their members as the less they say the better here. The fact of the matter is that the contract has not been terminated as far as the NHL is concerned as he's not a free agent so there's obviously uncertainty here on behalf of the NHL. I've read two legal experts (that know far more than any of us will) say based on the evidence they have seen they don't believe the Kings have a good case so unless there's something really key that nobody but the Kings and the border authorities know of it doesn't seem like the Kings are going to get out of it.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #563
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was told by someone in the Kings organization that he was in fact arrested. Like I said, there are a lot of facts that have not been made public. It would be wise to wait for all information before jumping to conclusions.

Whatever legal expert opinions you read were opinions based on conjecture. There is so much more to this story than what has been stated publicly.

Last edited by Ice; 07-03-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #564
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was told by someone in the Kings organization that he was in fact arrested.
As was Voyonv and as was Stoll. Neither of them were dismissed for breach of contract. This stinks, and it stinks to high heaven. The NHL should be coming down on the Kings with everything in their arsenal. This makes a mockery of the CBA and the contracts they expect to enforce.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #565
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
As was Voyonv and as was Stoll. Neither of them were dismissed for breach of contract. This stinks, and it stinks to high heaven. The NHL should be coming down on the Kings with everything in their arsenal. This makes a mockery of the CBA and the contracts they expect to enforce.
Yes and no to an extent. I have seen people do stuff in or out of the workplace that would be grounds for dismissal, but because they are of high value to the company, they are given a break and a second chance. I have also seen people be terminated, because they are useless and it gives management a legal reason to cut ties.

In this case Richards is useless both on and off the ice. And it sounds like they are using their right to terminate him.

caveat: No matter how good Voynov is, he is a POS and should have been released. But obviously the Kings Org. condones beating women.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #566
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Voynov was suspended by the NHL so the Kings can't void his contract until he is reinstated by the league suspension. Stoll was paid his last paycheque before the party in Vegas so the Kings don't have to do anything with him as he doesn't have a contract.

In regards to Richards and free agency in EE's post, he was not on the original FA list from the league but the NHL had stated numerous times that he is a UFA.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #567
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
Voynov was suspended by the NHL so the Kings can't void his contract until he is reinstated by the league suspension. Stoll was paid his last paycheque before the party in Vegas so the Kings don't have to do anything with him as he doesn't have a contract.

In regards to Richards and free agency in EE's post, he was not on the original FA list from the league but the NHL had stated numerous times that he is a UFA.
Exactly, even if the Kings wanted to terminate Voynov's contract they can't. It's likely Stoll ended his NHL career. The risk/reward isn't there for a player that now has a clear cut history of cocaine use. He certainly made sure the Kings wouldn't take him back even at a very cheap contract.

Believe it or not, teams are interested in Voynov. Until his achilles injury, there were teams inquiring about trading for him. The Kings may not terminate his contract but they may trade him. Unlike Richards, if he gets reinstated by the league and suffers no visa issues, he is an asset. Also, the Kings were notified of his arrest about four hours after he was arrested. If failure to disclose was the standard (at least one of the reasons) being applied as a reason to terminate Richards, it doesn't apply to Voynov.

I hope Voynov doesn't play in the NHL again, but it's a business about winning and someone will pay him to play if he isn't deported and the NHL reinstates him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 01:26 AM   #568
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Darn you and your level headed logic! Don't you know because they Kings are close to the cap, they couldn't have any legitamate reason to terminate the contract of a player who has had rumored problems his whole career!
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 08:40 AM   #569
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was told by someone in the Kings organization that he was in fact arrested. Like I said, there are a lot of facts that have not been made public. It would be wise to wait for all information before jumping to conclusions.

Whatever legal expert opinions you read were opinions based on conjecture. There is so much more to this story than what has been stated publicly.
I find that extremely hard to believe as if he was arrested it would have had to be disclosed to the media. There is an investigation only. No arrest.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:48 AM   #570
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what are the odds that Voynov plays for the Kings this season? 50/50?

And when will we know if its possible?
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:50 AM   #571
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Well, we know he was detained, so it is possible that the info Ice's friends have are a slight case of lost in translation.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:17 AM   #572
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post
I don't see why so many seem so unwilling to accept that being unable to come to work to perform your duties could be a legitimate material breach of any employment contract...and that an employer could be entirely justified in terminating the relationship.
I think people realize that. But we can't ignore the painkiller addiction problem and the teams that act like enablers. That is the root cause of the events that led to the material breach.

Of course there is a chance that Richards isn't an addict and was just smuggling, but given what we know about this problem in pro-sports, I think it is something that needs to be seriously considered before L.A. can simply cut him off. Addiction is a disease and addicts don't think rationally. What Richards did was very much a side-effect of having this disease. And this particular disease seems to be an occupational hazard for many hockey players.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:55 AM   #573
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
So what are the odds that Voynov plays for the Kings this season? 50/50?

And when will we know if its possible?
If he isnt deported which is apparently a coin-toss at the moment I'd wager that percentage is closer to 100%.

I'd bet he laces 'em up to start the season depending on his injury if he isnt deported.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:00 PM   #574
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've read some accounts which suggest Canada Customs asked Richards specifically about oxycontin when he attempted to cross the border.

Something seems way too fishy here. Lombardi has been on a media mission these past few weeks looking for sympathy and telling anyone and everyone how he's loyal to a fault and made a huge mistake not buying out Richards last year. because he made the decision with his heart blah, blah, blah.

After the year that has been in LA, I have no doubt that he's sitting in the hot seat and looking for a way to dig himself out of this disaster.

Desperation makes people do weird things. What are the chances an anonymous call was made from a pay phone in El Segundo to someone at Canada Customs about a guy who will be crossing over soon and is know to be using Oxy?
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:05 PM   #575
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
I've read some accounts which suggest Canada Customs asked Richards specifically about oxycontin when he attempted to cross the border.

Something seems way too fishy here. Lombardi has been on a media mission these past few weeks looking for sympathy and telling anyone and everyone how he's loyal to a fault and made a huge mistake not buying out Richards last year. because he made the decision with his heart blah, blah, blah.

After the year that has been in LA, I have no doubt that he's sitting in the hot seat and looking for a way to dig himself out of this disaster.

Desperation makes people do weird things. What are the chances an anonymous call was made from a pay phone in El Segundo to someone at Canada Customs about a guy who will be crossing over soon and is know to be using Oxy?
If CC ever leaked they got a tipoff this story would get incredibly ugly in a hurry.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:05 PM   #576
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Lombardi shot Kennedy
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 10:16 PM   #577
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fully support any NHL team or any business for that matter to terminate contracts and employment of any team member or staff member who gets arrested for the crap Stoll, Voynov and "maybe" Richards did. I also support the teams right or any businesses right to not terminate the contract of said players or employees in those situations if they deem they would rather not and would prefer to work with the individual or explore other options. And most importantly I support the team or businesses right to chose different paths with different players and people and that they don't have to do "the same" for everyone. Whether there motivations are driven by the fact that maybe they've tried to work with Richards in the past or maybe it really is just them being opportunistic, I don't really care. They shouldn't have to remain tied to Richards if he has indeed been arrested for trafficking if they don't want, even if their main motivation is to rid themselves of his anchor, it's his fault for giving them an out. The union can step in and do its thing if it feels he's been treated poorly.

If I got arrested tomorrow for what Richards allegedly was, I'd lose my job and I doubt anyone one would be saying my employer was doing anything under handed. These athletes need to take some responsibility, and I do agree there is some form of buyer beware in the NHL cap world and you take risks and should do research on players and potential pitfalls that I don't think you should simply be able to walk away from cap wise, but for me that ends when they commit crimes, and I'm totally comfortable with the team taking different paths with different people as not all people need the same treatment.

Last edited by Cleveland Steam Whistle; 07-04-2015 at 10:52 PM.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2015, 01:42 AM   #578
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Yes but highly addictive
So is alcohol and cocaine . Yet the Nhl allows the players to enter a rehab program to attempt to become sober before the contract is terminated.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:53 AM   #579
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
The league, the NHLPA and the player/his agent's continued silence is interesting.

Wonder what is going on behind the scenes.
Standard procedure to keep your mouth shut. During investigations,trials etc the less you say the better.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:20 AM   #580
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Well, we know he was detained, so it is possible that the info Ice's friends have are a slight case of lost in translation.
It's entirely possible. What I'm hearing is that his arrest may not be public record in Canada until charges are filed, which is why it may have taken so long to find out. Down here he would have been arraigned within a day or two and the arrest and charges would be public record. Our privacy laws seem to be less strict. Apparently in Canada, it sounds like charges don't have to be filed until there's a hearing date, which could take a couple of months. Obviously I don't have a clear understanding of the criminal/legal system in Canada and it is quite a bit different, especially with Customs and a border crossing involved. But what I heard is that he was detained, arrested and released. It will all come out during the investigation, I'm sure.