Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 04-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #481
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
Well, it's hard to have a discussion about gun defense when one side denies/minimizes the basic purpose of the firearm in the first place....but if the numbers are flawed projections then fine.

Aside from those 3-4 sources of gun defense stats in America, the only other one I can find is from the CDC.
They say gun defense actions occur about 498,000 times/year... Even with this more conservative estimate, ...that is still a staggering number. The point I was making is that gun defense actions far, far outweigh any gun crimes commited by legal gun owners, and that citizen gun owners pose little threat to society (as per my previous post showing crime conviction rates for CHL holders in Texas).
According to the FBI only 22% of US murders are of a 'felony' nature, ie commited during the act of a crime. The vast majority of homocides are commited by, right up until they kill their family or co workers and then blow their brains out, legal citizen gun owners.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #482
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

As expected Zimmerman's counsel has asked for the current judge to be recused due to the potential conflict of interest presented by her husband being a partner in a law firm with a CNN commentator

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/...143032856.html
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #483
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Judge officially out

Quote:
The judge presiding over the Trayvon Martin shooting case has removed herself after George Zimmerman's attorney said she had a possible conflict of interest.

Florida Circuit Judge Jessica Recksiedler recused herself Wednesday because of a potential conflict that relates to her husband.

He works with Orlando attorney Mark NeJame, who was first approached by Zimmerman's family to represent the neighborhood watch volunteer.

But NeJame declined and referred them to Mark O'Mara, who is now representing Zimmerman. NeJame has since been hired by CNN to comment on the case.

Judge Kenneth M. Lester Jr. will preside over the case.

Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder for the Feb. 26 shooting of the 17-year-old Martin. Zimmerman said he shot Martin in self-defense after Martin attacked him. Martin was unarmed.
http://news.yahoo.com/judge-quits-tr...190918295.html
Old 04-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #484
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

CNN Breaking News ‏ @cnnbrk
George #Zimmerman to be released on $150,000 bond, Florida judge rules. http://on.cnn.com/HNGAEb
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #485
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Wow, murdered a guy, and he's out.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #486
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Did you have your own trial and conviction on this guy?
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #487
jayswin

Exp:

Sorry, my bad. He chased down and killed an un-armed man in self defense, and is out.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #488
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, my bad. He chased down and killed an un-armed man in self defense, and is out.
Well, he's not 'free', he still has his trial.

I don't think he's a flight risk, or a re-offending risk.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #489
jayswin

Exp:

Ah crap, I was just sskimming and thought that was bail and he was a free man.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:23 AM   #490
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Why should he be treated any differently from any accused waiting to stand trial? Or are you suggesting that he get treated differently and not have access to bail like other people accused of murder?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #491
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Why should he be treated any differently from any accused waiting to stand trial? Or are you suggesting that he get treated differently and not have access to bail like other people accused of murder?
I mis-read it.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #492
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So we're basically at the finish line for this. Prosecution got a reprieve today when the jury was allowed to consider lesser charges, because they have bungled this one pretty badly. Regardless of what the verdict ends up being, the reactions will be fierce from all sides.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #493
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

this is a race case only. It's been pitted as white vs black and the state decided to throw on an additional charge this morning.

it's been shown throughout the trial that this trial is far from being fair.

I think he is guilty of manslaughter but the state is hell bent on getting murder. I guess being made to look like a bunch of idiots for having no proof throughout the trial and with the Anthony case making them look like idiots the state is doing everything to redeem themselves
Old 07-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #494
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you watched the trial your theory and the main stream media theory has been squashed.

He lost Martin and was walking back to his truck when Martin jumped him.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #495
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

The unarmed combat expert was awesome on the stand, I would love to see all his testimony

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #496
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
this is a race case only. It's been pitted as white vs black and the state decided to throw on an additional charge this morning.

it's been shown throughout the trial that this trial is far from being fair.

I think he is guilty of manslaughter but the state is hell bent on getting murder. I guess being made to look like a bunch of idiots for having no proof throughout the trial and with the Anthony case making them look like idiots the state is doing everything to redeem themselves
He initiated a confrontation after being told by emergency dispatch not to and in that confrontation he shot and killed a kid. It IS murder.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #497
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They probably could have made manslaughter stick. But I doubt that's even going to happen. The defense has painted a very clear picture of Martin pinning down Zimmerman and basically banging his head into the concrete and beating on the man after Zimmerman had given up on his pursuit and was going back to his truck.

They have made a really clear definition of self defense, I'm starting to think that Zimmerman is going home soon.

While the political consideration of this case is massive, its becoming pretty clear that the Prosecution thought they had a slam dunk and did another terrible job on this case.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #498
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
He initiated a confrontation after being told by emergency dispatch not to and in that confrontation he shot and killed a kid. It IS murder.
That's pretty irrelevant here. He had also broken off contact with Martin and was returning to his truck. Martin was no longer in any kind of jeopardy. When Martin basically chased down Zimmerman pinned him down and started basically beating on him, he became the aggressor. Non of the prior pursuit at that point matters in this case.

Its not murder, its manslaughter at best. In the eyes of the law it could very well be defined as self defense.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #499
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
It's more complicated than that. This all occurred in a gated community where Zimmerman was the elected program coordinator of the neighbourhood watch within that community.

The gated community is private property. It was Zimmerman's job to investigate suspicious people on that property. Zimmerman may have been totally out of line stopping Trayvon in the first place. However, even though that might be racist that's not, in itself, a crime. It should also be kept in mind that Zimmerman is 1/8th black and does not look white in any way. That, however, doesn't stop someone from being racist towards someone who is more black.

Then again, Zimmerman was dealing with a rash of break-ins in the community involving suspects that fit Trayvon's description. Trayvon was also not a resident of the community, but staying as a guest. Zimmerman would, therefore, not have known who he was. The community was 260 town houses, so Zimmerman probably knew all of the residents.

There are a lot of things going on in this case, and the media has been out of control.

If it's true that Trayvon chased Zimmerman down after he'd ended his pursuit, that definitely pushes things more towards the manslaughter realm and away from murder.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #500
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
That's pretty irrelevant here. He had also broken off contact with Martin and was returning to his truck. Martin was no longer in any kind of jeopardy. When Martin basically chased down Zimmerman pinned him down and started basically beating on him, he became the aggressor. Non of the prior pursuit at that point matters in this case.
And besides the guy who shot a kid, who else can back up these events?
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote